finally migrated to mybb here is my 2 cents

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
samayo

finally migrated to mybb here is my 2 cents

Post by samayo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:38 am

Some of you might have read my questions here, since I installed phpbb I have had so many issues but I finally managed to make it work, but at the end I switched to mybb and normally i don't do this stuff, but since phpbb is the first software i used as a kid and loved it so much, I have a soft spot for it, so maybe i can contribute to help somehow.

although i had many issues and didn't like the convoluted, i guess phpbb is not alone so i'm not going to focus on it, instead i when i compared phpbb with other alternatives vbulletin, mybb,... i just found the others were a bit more engaging, for example: most of them have like/dislike features (not same as thanks button) and they had a reputation system, stars and many more than would provide extra motivation for discussion, and as someone who is trying to attract traffic to my site, i think those features are heavily underrated here and they would be a great boost for any forum.

so these are my 2 cents
keep it up and please add these features if anyone is has the time and is willing, I tried to do it myself but didn't have the time sadly

alvo

Re: finally migrated to mybb here is my 2 cents

Post by alvo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 am

I've only used phpbb and vBulletin recently, so can only speak to the two. Generally they suffer from a lack of usability testing. vBulletin is the worse of the two for instinctive use. The pbpbb ACP is a mess, but I dig through it. I'm more concerned with the user side experience. I run a very simplified theme to solve as much user confusion as I can. Mybb has some of the same issues.

For instance, a topic with new posts on my site gets an icon that is a yellow rectangle with a bold black "NEW" on it. Topics without new posts have no icon. There is no confusion about one style icon vs another.

vBulletin had somewhere around 30 icons in all, some I never did figure out what they were for.

Unfortunately the persuasive attitude is to add more and more stuff, rather than refine and make simpler. There are specific things I would like to be able to do, but for the most part are unnecessary for most installations. Like/dislike, ranking, stars are the sort of thing that I'm glad aren't included. They remind me of using a "hot topic" icon like somehow that would make the topic more interesting to me.
Last edited by alvo on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 am

The developers can never win.

phpBB2 used to be super simple. People cried out for more features so they added them. Now you want less again.

Different boards have different needs. For instance, I have zero need for a 'like' or reputation or star system. You might well adore such a feature. So then the question is, do you want the developers to spend time on something that some or many boards may or may not want to the detriment of something they all want? Personally I would prefer a stripped down system with 'bolt ons' which isn't too far off what we have now. Extensions have been a revelation to phpBB3. Upload a folder, activate, done, you now have a new feature. The downside is the reliance of people who want to code a new feature and have the skills to do it and maintain it. To the ones that do, I'm eternally grateful and in awe of their skills.

There is no perfect software. You just have to choose the one closest to what you want and learn how to use it. Cosmetically, everything can be changed if it doesn't look how you want it to.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

samayo

Post by samayo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Maybe our use-cases vary, the forum I am creating is for an expats living and working in a certain country just like https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php but for a different country. And there, the like/dislike and reputation system is very widely used. If you are making a forum for basic Q&A about your software like Nginx, you don't need that level of engagement, for a social activity such as sharing stories, opinions, it's highly important, which is why most of the other forums have it. If people didn't fancy reputations or some type of rewards, sites like stackoverflow wouldn't be as good or crowded as they are now.

So to wrap it up, reputation are very important but that depends on what you want to do with your forum.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 pm

I’m sure we’re all glad your happy👍🏼
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Linsa

Post by Linsa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:24 pm

samayo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm
Maybe our use-cases vary, the forum I am creating is for an expats living and working in a certain country just like https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php but for a different country. And there, the like/dislike and reputation system is very widely used. If you are making a forum for basic Q&A about your software like Nginx, you don't need that level of engagement, for a social activity such as sharing stories, opinions, it's highly important, which is why most of the other forums have it. If people didn't fancy reputations or some type of rewards, sites like stackoverflow wouldn't be as good or crowded as they are now.

So to wrap it up, reputation are very important but that depends on what you want to do with your forum.
Have you migrated to mybb or vbulletin?

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:44 pm

A phpBB forum that I use has a like button so there must be an extension out there unless they've adapted the Post Love or Thanks For Post extension etc.

Hopefully your visitor numbers / google search rank won't drop with the forum not being responsive on VBulletin.

For myBB AmazOuz at Developement Design does great work.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 pm

The like button can be easily implemented as an extension on phpBB. The Thanks extension is exactly the same thing. All that is required to make "thanks" "like" is to modify the language files. These are plain text documents and can be easily modified by anyone with half a clue. I did this on my board and made the modified language file available in the extensions development board.

I would hardly be basing my choice of forum software on whether or not it has a like button (which can be implemented as an extension in any event), but that's just me.

Return to “General Discussion”