Members who do not Post

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
drobert

Members who do not Post

Post by drobert »

Hello everyone,

I would like to seek your advice on a rather persistant problem that we have been experiencing lately with our forum. We have a lot of people registering on a daily basis but they do not contribute to the discussion group.

Other than eventually deleting their account, is there an effective way of handling this problem technically. I heard that some administrators actually screen their members.

Frankly, a forum is only a success when its members contribute to it.

Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DR

spike326

Re: Members who do not Post

Post by spike326 »

drobert wrote: Hello everyone,

I would like to seek your advice on a rather persistant problem that we have been experiencing lately with our forum. We have a lot of people registering on a daily basis but they do not contribute to the discussion group.

Other than eventually deleting their account, is there an effective way of handling this problem technically. I heard that some administrators actually screen their members.

Frankly, a forum is only a success when its members contribute to it.

Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DR

I would also like to know cause my forum used over 1000gb of bandwidth in november due to freeloading members and I had to shut it down.

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton »

Have you activated the CODE they have to enter during registration to stop possible robots from auto registering. You should also perhaps trim your database regarding members with 0 post count after so long as being members.

drobert

Post by drobert »

Thanks Gary. I was not aware that robots auto register.and will look into activating the CODE.

I am working on trimming down the database as we speak although it is difficult to keep up with the volume of members registering daily.

Thanks.

DR

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton »

drobert wrote: Thanks Gary. I was not aware that robots auto register.and will look into activating the CODE.

I am working on trimming down the database as we speak although it is difficult to keep up with the volume of members registering daily.

Thanks.

DR

No problem, I was also unaware that robots could also register with your site, and thats mainly what the security code was for to combat that problem.

tophertg

Post by tophertg »

Also, if you don't already, you could also set "Enable account activation" to "User", that way they're forced to check their email and less likely to just register and leave.
BackgroundBar - The Internet for Lazy People (forums)
Because the best things in life are free, especially when you're an infoholic (and lazy) like me.

Darth Wong

Re: Members who do not Post

Post by Darth Wong »

spike326 wrote: I would also like to know cause my forum used over 1000gb of bandwidth in november due to freeloading members and I had to shut it down.

You used more than one TERABYTE of bandwidth? Did you operate some kind of file-sharing board?
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

I'm fairly sure they meant 1gb or 1000mb(1024mb :) ).

Iain Armitage

Post by Iain Armitage »

There is a mod available on phpbbhacks

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/346

This allows you to prune (delete) users who have never logged in, posted for such a long time etc. All very cusomisable via the settings in the acp and it saves individually deleting all such members
Repeat after me "Post counts are NOT a status symbol"

ionsurge

Post by ionsurge »

Well I lurk a lot, rather just reading topics that require registered user priveledges on a few forums... or sometimes I register and forget that I registered to a forum.

Posting or upping my post count isn't really something that makes me post.

I haven't posted in a few months, or logged in, it doesn't mean that I am inactive.

Silverhawk060

Post by Silverhawk060 »

why do people register and not post in the first place?
on my forums i do not require registration for any of the content provided, but still people register very often... why is that?

drobert

Post by drobert »

I wish to thank everyone for their valuable feedback. You've made some great suggestions and I am going to give them a try.

P.S. In response to your comments about people who post versus those that don't, its similar to owning a club. If the members are not interested enough to participate - why join?

Thanks again!

DR

rabidgopher04

Post by rabidgopher04 »

I use the phpBB Fetch All MOD to display the latest poll on all my pages outside of my forum and I think some people register just to vote in the poll (albeit not too many).

Then these people never post anything, but login occasionally.

I think it's an odd phenomenon as well.

harishankar

Post by harishankar »

Think of these people as dumb stats who boost your site's statistics. You cannot force anybody to post on your site, so just don't fret over it too much.

On the other hand, if you suspect that bots are registering, then enable the "Visual Confirmation" from the admin panel, which is installed when you upgrade to phpBB 2.0.11. Visual confirmation will prevent bots from registering.

Scottya

Post by Scottya »

I used to have this problem, but I know have people who regurally contribute.

I found that if the forum is not active, your members get bored.

Plus, if you have more members, people think more of you forum.
Kind Regards,
~ Scott Allen

--------------------
- INGamers.net-
IN-BB is a pre-modified version of phpBB. V 1.0 will be released soo. Please visit INGamers.net for the latest updates.

Return to “General Discussion”