Members who do not Post

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
paws

FWIW

Post by paws »

FWIW...I have been told by someone who has a very successful canine forum, and have found :cry: , that if a forum takes off the first year, it keeps going...if not it will not succeed :?
Many like to be to be voyeurs.
Try to experiment a bit, with content...if you can and good luck.
tbtguide

Post by tbtguide »

I have a forum that is mostly closed, there are a few places where people who are not registered may post but it does not really cover the substantive areas. I started with an open forum but after a few months switched to a closed forum. My members were more comfortable with the idea that it limited the number of trolls on board. They also like the idea that they could on occassion be silly and not have to worry too much about who was reading it. I like the atmosphere and I like my members. My entire site fits within a small niche and I don't expect that many people to be interested in the first place. The site itself has a lot of content and you don't have to be a member to read it but the forum is just for people who take the extra step to register.

I'm debating with myself about how much to push people to post. Probably about 25% post now. I worry about the be careful what you wish for concept. Right now I'm pretty happy with the quality of the discussions but I fear if I make an issue of people posting that the quality will suffer.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

tbtguide wrote: I'm debating with myself about how much to push people to post. Probably about 25% post now. I worry about the be careful what you wish for concept. Right now I'm pretty happy with the quality of the discussions but I fear if I make an issue of people posting that the quality will suffer.

The trick is to get people to post more stuff that they actually put some effort into, rather than just being chatty. I think any webboard that wishes to encourage real discussion should have a "no chat" rule, as well as a "no lazy one-liner" rule.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
g0liatH

Post by g0liatH »

Darth Wong wrote:
tbtguide wrote:I'm debating with myself about how much to push people to post. Probably about 25% post now. I worry about the be careful what you wish for concept. Right now I'm pretty happy with the quality of the discussions but I fear if I make an issue of people posting that the quality will suffer.

The trick is to get people to post more stuff that they actually put some effort into, rather than just being chatty. I think any webboard that wishes to encourage real discussion should have a "no chat" rule, as well as a "no lazy one-liner" rule.

or you could just permit it in one certain forum. I think some people really like to chat, and I think it's better that you also have a place for them.
I create phpBB styles matching your site. example: Tomorrows Designers
pm for more info.
RubberDuck2005

Post by RubberDuck2005 »

But this forum is huge! It wouldn't make much difference if one person didn't post, would it?

~RubberDuck
http://img43.exs.cx/img43/4398/spaceraysbanner2zh.jpg

Interested in games? Please please join!
nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell »

I think what happens a lot of times is a member registers, but then forgets about the site for one reason or another. So to get that member back, I send out a newsletter to everyone who has registered at the beginning of every month that just lists site happenings, new contests, and general announcements. It's worked great with my forum; I now have 25% of all users logging in every day, with another third who log in periodically, and that's up from about 15% who log in every day with another 20% who logged in periodically before I started sending out newsletters.

But I think another key is having a very wide range of forums. My site is a writing site, but I also have forums for entertainment, current events, serious discussion, spamming, and just plain general discussion. To add to that, I have Hyperion's blog mod running on my board, which has definitely upped the number of active members, and general writing activities for members to engage in.

I still have members who join and never post, but since I started sending out a newsletter, it hasn't been a big deal.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.
RubberDuck2005

Post by RubberDuck2005 »

It seems like a good idea. But if they are against the site, or for some other reason, giving the newsletter may be a bad idea. I go back to my discussion about the amount of members on the forum. Surely, phpBB.com is happy enough with it's huge activity. Yes, it would be nice to have more people who post, but really, about 60% of everyone here posts.

~RubberDuck
http://img43.exs.cx/img43/4398/spaceraysbanner2zh.jpg

Interested in games? Please please join!
madaboutphpbbtoo

Post by madaboutphpbbtoo »

drobert wrote: I wish to thank everyone for their valuable feedback. You've made some great suggestions and I am going to give them a try.

P.S. In response to your comments about people who post versus those that don't, its similar to owning a club. If the members are not interested enough to participate - why join?

Thanks again!

DR
Have you offered money back, or discounted coupons or...joking.

Many people I met on forums who were the most interesting....lurked long whiles before posting. It takes all kinds. Patience.

Content is king.
Barbiegirl

Post by Barbiegirl »

Interesting thread.

On my forums there are lots of people who register and never post and everything is visible for erveryone, I hate that!
I remove "users" twice a week because they never post.

On this forums I have only posted two messages. It is because my English is very bad, at least when I have to write English. I don't like to post when it is not really necessary because of my language problem. I like to read very much, but I can read everything I want when I am not registered. So there is no logical explanation I guess, not in my case :oops:

Just thinking.... : maybe I did register because I feel connected to this/our phpBB-community.
CLee

Post by CLee »

To answer an old question...
Silverhawk060 wrote: why do people register and not post in the first place?
on my forums i do not require registration for any of the content provided, but still people register very often... why is that?

It is probably do to keeping track of read/unread topics. This is a functionality that is only available to register members.

I'm generally surprised at the amount of hostility some have toward lurkers. Lurkers normally don't pose a problem to a forum. And given time, some lurkers eventually become active posters. In fact, I would much prefer a lurker turn active poster over someone who suddenly stumbled onto my board and immediately became an active poster without learning the community first.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
btanjung

Post by btanjung »

In most forums that i have been about 60% of members have 0 posting.
quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

btanjung wrote: In most forums that i have been about 60% of members have 0 posting.

I think that is true to just about all forums. The majority of the users pos very rarely or not at all. With large forums like the one we're on right now it seems as though everyone is posting but if you were to look at the member list and do the math i'd be willing to bet a large portion of the members here post very rarely or not at all.

I too have been struggling with getting my forums to spring to life. My biggest problem is that there are a large number of other forums out there with the same basic topic as mine so it's hard to get people who have been using certain other forums for so long to decide to come to mine and post.
Jcink

Post by Jcink »

quick5pnt0 wrote:
btanjung wrote:In most forums that i have been about 60% of memBers have 0 posting.

I too have been struggling with getting my forums to spring to life. My biggest problem is that there are a large number of other forums out there with the same basic topic as mine so it's hard to get people who have been using certain other forums for so long to decide to come to mine and post.

Thats the same thing that happened to my forum.

Mine was even worse. I tried running a totally general forum. For a while though it worked. Then it died. Then activity would boost. Then it would die. It finally fizzed out. I kept reviving it by adding new things and such to the forum, shop, arcade until it was so bloated all those things became boring.

It's extremely tough to build upon something that has so much competetion. I was nuts to create a totally general forum. They can be done but you need to put a lot of effort into it. I think the same goes for forums that have had the same topic done many times.

As for what I'm doing now, I switched from IPB to phpBB and started over. Now it just revolves around all of the projects I'm working on, and has a general forum so its got some sort of a topic...

I too had tons of new registrations but nobody posted. That was somewhat the arcade's fault. If anyone here ever thinks about adding an arcade to their forums, definitely put a post requirement on the games. Or a pay to play deal with a shop if you have one. Otherwise you'll get users that sit around all day and do nothing but play games and it looks really bad because your member count is so high.
NickSams

Re: Members who do not Post

Post by NickSams »

drobert wrote: Hello everyone,

I would like to seek your advice on a rather persistant problem that we have been experiencing lately with our forum. We have a lot of people registering on a daily basis but they do not contribute to the discussion group.

Other than eventually deleting their account, is there an effective way of handling this problem technically. I heard that some administrators actually screen their members.

Frankly, a forum is only a success when its members contribute to it.

Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DR

I jsus installed a mod which adds a user list to your admin cp. You can view all members of your board and it says if the members is active or not and it says the date of the last time they were active. I just went through and deleted around 20 inactive members from my board. I believe there is a mod that prunes members. I'm sure you can adjust the time of inactivity needed before the mod deletes the user. it even sends an email tot he users e-mail at stateing they have been deleted becaus eof inactivity.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Okay, this isn't the phpBB Support forum. Please keep on topic.

Return to “General Discussion”