Gallery 3

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Wirral Talk

Gallery 3

Post by Wirral Talk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:10 am

I'm curious if anyone else is still using Gallery 3 or changed to another photo gallery software?

I have mine running under PHP 7.2 but not tested with 7.3 yet, all the extensions I need seem to be working though I am aware of at least one extension that probably won't work.

I am very aware that Gallery 3's life is limited, at some PHP update it will become unfixable, some time ago I had a look at Piwigo and Coppermine and wasn't impressed with either.

It amazes me that nobody forked off Gallery 3 to continue its life expectancy. i have nearly 12,000 photographs on mine, if I change, I want it to be good and permanent.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Gallery 3

Post by david63 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 am

I have been using Piwigo for several years now (5.5k photos), admittedly not integrated into phpBB, and find it very easy and intuitive (phpBB could learn a lot about updating from Piwigo!)

One thing I like about it is the ease of uploading photos remotely.

Wirral Talk

Re: Gallery 3

Post by Wirral Talk » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 am

No, I've not integrated Gallery 3 into a forum but I seem to remember that Gallery 2 and phpBB had some link in the past.

Perhaps I should look at piwigo again, I only need very basic functionality, just a load of albums, albums are titled, photos aren't.

It wasn't the functionality of piwigo or coppermine that was the problem, I couldn't find a simple theme that I liked ..... just had a quick look, what I need is the album density of "modus" (5 albums across horizontally on my screen) but the titles under the albums like "elegant". I hate text overlays on pictures and I hate low screen information density.

Return to “General Discussion”