UK 2% levy on revenues of search engines, social media platforms and online marketplaces proposed

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
noth

UK 2% levy on revenues of search engines, social media platforms and online marketplaces proposed

Post by noth »

The Chancellor said the digital services tax will be introduced from April but will only be a temporary measure until an international agreement is in place on how to deal with big online companies like Google and Facebook.

But Mr Mnuchin was clear the White House remains ardently against the move as he hinted retaliatory tariffs could be imposed on the UK's car industry if the tax is rolled out.

The US and France have announced a truce over President Emmanuel Macron's plans to introduce a similar measure after Washington responded with a threat to slap punitive tariffs on products including French cheese and wine.

Mr Javid said the tax - a two per cent levy on the revenues of search engines, social media platforms and online marketplaces which derive value from UK users - will be introduced.
this sounds like a great idea to me
2% of millions is a lot. about time FB and twitter etc paid their way

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: UK 2% levy on revenues of search engines, social media platforms and online marketplaces proposed

Post by david63 »

noth wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 pm
this sounds like a great idea to me
2% of millions is a lot. about time FB and twitter etc paid their way
Whilst I don't altogether disagree with that this is a issue that has been created by successive governments. These companies are working within the current tax laws and whilst it may be immoral there is nothing wrong in what they are doing.

None of us want to pay any more tax than we have to and if we can legally find ways to avoid paying tax then we will.

Return to “General Discussion”