get Running

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
noth

get Running

Post by noth »

do you go running? I finally found a proper plan from the NHS and am now following it, I was trying to go running by just going to the local park and doing a few laps of running, of course my lower legs turned to stone and I was doing it wrong as I hadnt found the NHS "week by week" guide which is brilliant. :mrgreen:
I have now been out 5 times in 5 days going on the NHS guidelines which are far better than what I was doing before .
there are so many things that are vying for our time, work , you need to go to do your job, then you get home and have domestic responsibilities so can you fit in running as well? should you fit in running as well? well you dont need much to do it, a pair of trainers and some light clothing and to begin with half an hour a day :arrow:
here is the NHS plan anybody else beginning on running?

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: get Running

Post by kinerity »

Nothing to do with phpBB, so moved to General Discussion.

Thanks for the link! Once the weather starts getting warming in the spring, I might actually use this as a guide.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The Couch to 5k app is apparently very good.

I'm not a runner but I joined a gym in September after 20 years out of it. I don't enjoy it but my weight is going the right way and I find all the tech and apps very motivational now as they weren't around when I used to go. My Apple watch is constantly reminding me to get up and it's very useful to close the exercise rings with an extra walk that I otherwise wouldn't have done. I've now got stats and graphs of everything!!
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

noth

Post by noth »

my take is that if you're a beginner you dont really need to wait for the weather to start getting warm in the spring :P

the programme I quoted starts little, you are going to be out there ½ hour to begin with.
For the runs in Week 1, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute warm-up walk, then you will alternate 60 seconds of running, with 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.
so really you could do the same as me, I am literally just staying on Week 1 activity, I am not moving to Week 2 until I can handle the small amount of running described (which compared to couch potatoe is great of course) , for me this is all about getting off my butt in the winter

in the summer I have been cycling to work 6 miles but that needs daylight hours , I just cant be bothered to cycle in the dark, so this is what I'm doing in winter

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Now that I'm getting older I do a fast walk to the toilet in the morning, does that count?

Was on cross country in HS but that was just conditioning for wrestling. ;)
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Post by hewmac06 »

I've rediscovered 10,000 steps. Wasn't aware the program was in the health app on my iPhone till this year. Did all the heavy stuff in my youth but now I love my coastal walks, so relaxing. 🚶‍♂️

Return to “General Discussion”