How to learn

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
enerahed

How to learn

Post by enerahed »

Hi,
I am a student and have a passion for programming.
Honestly I know nothing about programming but have the feeling of being next Bill Gates.
I'm a regular user of the website Quora to know how other people think and how to make best use of what they are saying.
One of the question was what to do in 5 years if you were young to find it useful in 5 years ahead?
One of the answer was to learn to code and join open source community and be part of it.
Honestly I was not aware of what open source means but when I look after it I've kind of got it.
The only open source I am using is phpBB (I was not aware about that, but it is the forums of the games I used to play).
I've joined here and the other forum Area51.
All I've is the passion for programming and a lot of time (almost 7 or 8 hours per day).
I am wasting a lot of time in social media and games and I want to do something useful and I am taking this issue seriously to make best use of my time.
I want to start and I do not know what to do.
How to learn phpBB and what does it takes and what was it made of.
If you may consider me as a young brother that you would like to advice for the right thing that would be awesome.
Sorry if I am asking wrong questions but I hope if someone may tell.
Thanks

72degrees

Re: How to learn

Post by 72degrees »

Welcome.

If you have a passion for programming you are halfway there already.

I started programming in BASIC back in 1980. I thought I would be hopeless at it because I had difficult with mathematics at school. The thing is, programming is much more about logic, Also, at least back in the days before Graphical User Interfaces, the ability to retain arcane coding language terms in your memory without having to look them up all the time.

phpBB is a web based software suite, not a computer language.The phpBB system is coded in PHP. PHP " is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML."
https://www.php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php

You will learn a lot about how web systems work by setting up and administering a phpBB installation, but unless you start customising the scripts (not recommended at your stage!), you won't necessarily learn much about programming.

These days people seem to want to leap straight in to web development. That's fine, but perhaps also consider installing a commonly used programming language Integrated Development Environment and creating some purely local applications first. The Fundamentals Of Programming you learn from that are transferable skills which you can build on when you take to web development and possibly avoid a lot of frustration. There are Massive Open Online Courses available:
https://www.coursera.org/courses?query= ... ndamentals

Note the abundance of different languages to choose from so go for a generic course first.
The classic teaching language in universities used to be Pascal, but these days students go straight in to 4th Generation Languages and Object Orientated programming.
Over the years, the language I found most difficult to get my (admittedly rather old) head round was Java - particular in the Android phone flavour.
Apart from the specifically web development targeted scripting languages, C is very popular these days.
You could do worse than install a local C# IDE. Microsoft usually allow free installation for non-commercial and student use of Visual Studio:
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/express/

Sites like Stack Overflow are a useful resource when you get stuck.
https://stackoverflow.com/

Get stuck in and write your first "Hello World!" program. You will need a local machine or a shared web hosting account with PHP (that's all of them) if you want to go straight for what drives phpBB.

Good luck!

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

enerahed wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:49 am
Honestly I know nothing about programming but have the feeling of being next Bill Gates.
I'm a regular user of the website Quora to know how other people think and how to make best use of what they are saying.
That's not programming, that's designing/concepting - you could also just know many software and tell the people which of them fits their needs most and how to use it. Programming is mostly about solving fundamental problems, like how to make sure a file is fully written to disk.
enerahed wrote:
I am wasting a lot of time in social media and games and I want to do something useful and I am taking this issue seriously to make best use of my time.
Programming as a therapy is new to me. I've met many people being excited about programming (i.e. younger ones, wanting to create video games) who then at an early stage realized it's also about patience, thinking ahead, analysis, and effort.
enerahed wrote:
I want to start and I do not know what to do.
Beginning each sentence with a new line will help you for learning a programming language. ;)

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

72degrees wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 am
Welcome.
Thanks for your kind words and for the spirit.
72degrees wrote:
I started programming in BASIC back in 1980. I thought I would be hopeless at it because I had difficult with mathematics at school. The thing is, programming is much more about logic, Also, at least back in the days before Graphical User Interfaces.
I've googled for some books about programming fundamentals and especially the for dummies series and I've found it using something called liberty basic. So do I've to start with that or I should learn what you mentioned first?
How do I learn that logic given that I am not bad in math but also not excellent, just I am ok with it.
72degrees wrote:
the ability to retain arcane coding language terms in your memory without having to look them up all the time.
Honestly I've no idea what you are talking about. Please, may you clear it a little bit more.
72degrees wrote:
phpBB is a web based software suite, not a computer language.The phpBB system is coded in PHP. PHP " is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML."
https://www.php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php
Thanks for the information.
I've explored the link you mentioned but found many things that I do not understand like Boolean, Arrays, Variables, Parser ...etc.
Does there is a previous step I should take before I dig into the php manual?
72degrees wrote:
You will learn a lot about how web systems work by setting up and administering a phpBB installation, but unless you start customising the scripts (not recommended at your stage!), you won't necessarily learn much about programming.
Does there is a curriculum organized to learn it correctly?
72degrees wrote:
These days people seem to want to leap straight in to web development. That's fine, but perhaps also consider installing a commonly used programming language Integrated Development Environment and creating some purely local applications first. The Fundamentals Of Programming you learn from that are transferable skills which you can build on when you take to web development and possibly avoid a lot of frustration. There are Massive Open Online Courses available:
https://www.coursera.org/courses?query= ... ndamentals
Does this website require online attendance? or I can learn in my own because I have to go to school at some days at the evening.
72degrees wrote:
Note the abundance of different languages to choose from so go for a generic course first.
The classic teaching language in universities used to be Pascal, but these days students go straight in to 4th Generation Languages and Object Oriented programming.
Over the years, the language I found most difficult to get my (admittedly rather old) head round was Java - particular in the Android phone flavour.
Apart from the specifically web development targeted scripting languages, C is very popular these days.
You could do worse than install a local C# IDE. Microsoft usually allow free installation for non-commercial and student use of Visual Studio:
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/express/
You mean I can start with something else and not PHP?
72degrees wrote:
Sites like Stack Overflow are a useful resource when you get stuck.
https://stackoverflow.com/
1st time to know about it, I will bookmark it.
72degrees wrote:
Get stuck in and write your first "Hello World!" program. You will need a local machine or a shared web hosting account with PHP (that's all of them) if you want to go straight for what drives phpBB.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot.

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

AmigoJack wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm
That's not programming, that's designing/concepting - you could also just know many software and tell the people which of them fits their needs most and how to use it. Programming is mostly about solving fundamental problems, like how to make sure a file is fully written to disk.
What do you mean by solving problem?
AmigoJack wrote:
Programming as a therapy is new to me. I've met many people being excited about programming (i.e. younger ones, wanting to create video games) who then at an early stage realized it's also about patience, thinking ahead, analysis, and effort.
I've patience and I just want a clear steps to follow.
AmigoJack wrote:
Beginning each sentence with a new line will help you for learning a programming language. ;)
Thanks for your comment.

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

if I may ask what are the steps or what does it takes to be a member of the phpBB team?
Thanks

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

enerahed wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:53 am
if I may ask what are the steps or what does it takes to be a member of the phpBB team?
Thanks
You don't apply. The team identify people who have been here a long time and offered good support or coding knowledge and then they are approached to join the team.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

KevC wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:54 am
You don't apply. The team identify people who have been here a long time and offered good support or coding knowledge and then they are approached to join the team.
Thanks for fast reply.
Long time like a year or more?
Support like replying unanswered topics?
I am still learning and I want to have a good knowledge.
If you may advice that would be awesome.
Thanks

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

enerahed wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:59 am
KevC wrote:
Thanks for fast reply.
Thanks
Please don't be offended if I ask whether you already have your own phpBB site that you are 'Founder' of ?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

enerahed wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:59 am
KevC wrote:
Thanks for fast reply.
Thanks
Years of being here and hundreds if not thousands of posts giving accurate answers.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

enerahed wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 am
72degrees wrote:
Welcome.
Thanks for your kind words and for the spirit.
72degrees wrote:
I started programming in BASIC back in 1980. I thought I would be hopeless at it because I had difficult with mathematics at school. The thing is, programming is much more about logic, Also, at least back in the days before Graphical User Interfaces.
I've googled for some books about programming fundamentals and especially the for dummies series and I've found it using something called liberty basic. So do I've to start with that or I should learn what you mentioned first?
How do I learn that logic given that I am not bad in math but also not excellent, just I am ok with it.
72degrees wrote:
the ability to retain arcane coding language terms in your memory without having to look them up all the time.
Honestly I've no idea what you are talking about. Please, may you clear it a little bit more.
I'm sorry. I forget there are people from all round the world on this forum and that English may not be their first or even second language.
What I meant was that in the bad old days you had to remember lots of strange words. Commands and programming code words that had to be typed in on a simple text editor. It was hard if you had to keep looking up all the time. Things are much easier now.
72degrees wrote:
Good luck!
Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

You are welcome. :)

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:32 pm
Please don't be offended if I ask whether you already have your own phpBB site that you are 'Founder' of ?
Nothing offended :)
Honestly I am not yet.
Last edited by enerahed on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You’ve not really laid out what you want to learn yet. There’s a ton of documentation on this site that could help you, if you tell us what you’re looking for we could help you with reading material here and on the internet.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

KevC wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 pm
Years of being here and hundreds if not thousands of posts giving accurate answers.
Let's go step by step.
How to master phpBB, is it to study documentation? or it requires extra steps?
Thanks

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:41 pm
I'm sorry. I forget there are people from all round the world on this forum and that English may not be their first or even second language.
What I meant was that in the bad old days you had to remember lots of strange words. Commands and programming code words that had to be typed in on a simple text editor. It was hard if you had to keep looking up all the time. Things are much easier now.
Thanks for clearing that.

Return to “General Discussion”