How to learn

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
enerahed

Re: How to learn

Post by enerahed »

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:42 pm
You’ve not really laid out what you want to learn yet. There’s a ton of documentation on this site that could help you, if you tell us what you’re looking for we could help you with reading material here and on the internet.
I will not lie and say that I know what I should study or learn.
If you or any valuable member just guide me that would be awesome.
I did was reading the php manual linked on the above post but felt like lost on the ocean.
But to answer your question I would say, I want to use phpBB inside out and develop MODs for it and design themes for it, so what does it takes?
That is my goal now.
Honestly I was not clear about that goal when I started this thread but after reading since starting this thread I've got my mind set on that goal.
Sorry for my confusion. :oops:

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Do you have a phpBB board to play with, there’s not much point if you don’t? If you don’t it’s easy enough to set up a test server on your home computer. It will function but you won’t be connected to the outside world as such which is fine for learning. Also, if you kill your test board because you’ve done something silly, you can repair it in five minutes - also a valuable learning curve.

See: Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server. The Knowledge Base is a valuable source of information in general.

Then: Quick Install and a more comprehensive 3.3 User Guide.

Get your web server up and running then install phpBB and off you go. Then you can start thinking of tweaking it which is a pretty reasonable way to learn. Also, have a read of: Knowledge Base - Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB.

Be aware that the above is not supported but we will help where we can.

We don’t use mods anymore, it’s extensions these days and there are no threads, phpBB uses topics. Also, you do realise this board is about phpBB bulletin boards and not a pure PHP support site?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

enerahed

Post by enerahed »

I will follow your advices.
Thanks for correcting me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

just an addition to the "lesson" above about MODs/extensions, in phpbb they are not called themes, they are called styles.

I think it is great that you want to learn. I do believe that one of the first things to learn is the proper terminology about the subject you are looking at.

good luck,
robert

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Off topic posts split off

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

enerahed wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 am
What do you mean by solving problem?
Dealing with a difficulty by eliminating its culprit.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

enerahed wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 am
I've explored the link you mentioned but found many things that I do not understand like Boolean, Arrays, Variables, Parser ...etc.
Does there is a previous step I should take before I dig into the php manual?
Not really but if you don't know boolean algebra, what a variable is, an array ... then it's going to be like reading a book in Lingala (assuming Lingala is as strange to you as it is to me).

Forget about php itself for the moment; php is a programming language but you need the basic and universal programming concepts first, as this is the backbone you'll need.
Compare it to learning a second language: you need to understand what a verb, noun, adjective, etc.. in order to create the most simple sentence.

Lumpy Burgertushie

also, in order to create extensions you don't need to know much, if any, php. You just someteimes need to be able to understand what phpbb is doing in its code.

as for creating phpbb styles you do not need to know any php, just html and css and to understand how the phpbb variables work.

do you have a board installed yet? have you opened any of the phpbb files in a text editor and looks at them yet? especially style files.

have you installed any extensions yet and looked at the files for them in your text editor?

that is going to be the best way to get started. for now I wouldn't worry about leaning php.

robert

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:56 pm
in order to create extensions you don't need to know much, if any, php
I think there may be quite a number of extension developers who would disagree with that statement Robert.

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

david63 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 pm
I think there may be quite a number of extension developers who would disagree with that statement Robert.
I concur , and I haven't even written one yet - just had a poke around inside one to get a feel for the phpBB framework and common building blocks.
I've been coding in PHP for quite a while.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

also, in order to create extensions you don't need to know much, if any, php. You just someteimes need to be able to understand what phpbb is doing in its code.

as for creating phpbb styles you do not need to know any php, just html and css and to understand how the phpbb variables work.
:lol: I do not add any further comments as they are not necessary.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 pm
huh? That statement also surprises me.
I can code OK (in VB, VBA) but I only know some basic php, the rest is just analysing the code segments for the programming logic, but that's thanks to extrapolation of coding grammar: that would allow me to code something similar in VB but php is a whole other matter. Also one has to understand the whole extension framework and I really think some decent knowledge of php is required.

There's quite a difference between speaking enough French to be able to buy some bread at the bakery (well, you wouldn't buy bread at the butcher's ;) ) and being able to teach history in French.

Lumpy Burgertushie

ok, ok, I take it back. I was not thinking clearly about that one.

sorry for the confusion guys.

robert :oops:

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Off topic posts split off again.

Please stick to the topic under discussion and refrain from sidetracking things.

Thank you

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 am
Off topic posts split off again.

Please stick to the topic under discussion and refrain from sidetracking things.

Thank you
Thanks for being consistent ;)

Return to “General Discussion”