The-future-of-forums vs FB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
erelash_mf
Name: ERA

The-future-of-forums vs FB

Post by erelash_mf »

I hope the forum will popular, valuable again

Source: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/to ... lk/page/3/
Attachments
FORUM vs FB.png
erelash_mf

Re: The-future-of-forums vs FB

Post by erelash_mf »

PHPBB needs to create a mobile app for customers are increasing for using forums (global mobile access overcame desktop access).
PHP forum sites connect the mobile app (using the setting for domain address). After connect PHPBB gives code numbers to PHP forum site admin.
For example www.domainnames.mn's mobile app code 25348

www.domainnames.mn post mobile app code 25348 then customers know that code

www.domainnames.mn's any customer downloading PhpBB mobile app from appstore for ios, play store for android. Then open PhpBB mobile app and enter the 25348. connected www.domainnames.mn site. Next always connection www.domainnames.mn maybe possible change another domain code.

used Google translate
:-)
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The strongest motivations for groups moving to FB, in my experience, include:
1) Ease of joining (if already on FB) and just one login.
2) Ease of uploading high quality photographs and videos -particularly direct from a smartphone.
3) Smartphone native app for FB.

1) is possibly addressed by Tapatalk ?
2) is improving on phpBB using client side compression.
3) is in the hands of phpBB developers. Having dabbled a bit with Android Studio I can see why ;)

The advantages of a forum are:
1) Better, though not complete, knowledge of your users - including linking to general group membership databases using an extension.
2) Better for sustained technical discussions. FB is essentially ephemeral and is geared up to push that model as it is advertising and (proved in some cases illegal) data harvesting driven.
3) Better for searching archives of topics. Even in a closed FB group that's not great.

I know of a forum that withered away once a FB group was started. I know of another that looks like it is going that way. I'm aware of vehicle interest groups that have move from phpBB to other forum platforms largely due to point 2) in my first list.

It is really a question of target audience. A forum will still be the best way for some - those with technical discussions and archives of images (other than cats) and documents. FB is better for idle chat, 'funny' to the poster clips and memes and getting in to useless arguments for the sake of it.

To be fair the last was far better catered for by some usenet newsgroups ;)

I can't see me abandoning the forums I subscribe to or maintain any time soon - though I fear 'the end is nigh' for one of the latter.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

erelash_mf wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:15 am
PHPBB needs to create a mobile app for customers are increasing for using forums (global mobile access overcame desktop access).
PHP forum sites connect the mobile app (using the setting for domain address). After connect PHPBB gives code numbers to PHP forum site admin.
*sigh*
Mobile access to phpBB is OK for reading.
Writing?? NO
replace phpBB with any forum software and that still stands.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:11 am
erelash_mf wrote:
*sigh*
Writing?? NO
Does that include the use of a mobile device with a large screen such as an iPad?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 am
warmweer wrote:
erelash_mf wrote:
*sigh*
Writing?? NO
Does that include the use of a mobile device with a large screen such as an iPad?
Does that large screen suffice for a post with a full quote and a 1 sentence reply?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:20 am
Does that large screen suffice for a post with a full quote and a 1 sentence reply?
Touché ;) Naturally the answer is yes. Your answer to my question?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 am
Touché ;) Naturally the answer is yes. Your answer to my question?
I have a 12" tablet which is just about the minimum I need if i want to interact, but that would be out of necessity only.
There are discussions here with posts filling my screen (and not because of fillers but serious discussion). That just doesn't work on mobile (for me).
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 am
I have a 12" tablet which is just about the minimum I need if i want to interact, but that would be out of necessity only.
There are discussions here with posts filling my screen (and not because of fillers but serious discussion). That just doesn't work on mobile (for me).
Quote left for context (one of the advantages of forums over FB).
Point taken. As I said in my first reply it depends on the target audience. This community is by definition going to be best based on a forum, and in particular, on the forum platform being discussed. I certainly wouldn't try to use it on a smartphone, but I find a 10 inch Android tablet OK for a quick comment.

Not all forum sites are like this one though (in oh so many ways ! ;) ). The OP question was a general, open question [1]. I know of several forum sites where many users want to use smartphone. The trend is for Millenials to have their phone as their only internet connected device. Wouldn't work for you or me, but it may be 'the way of the future' (Howard Hughes). Horses for courses.

[1] That appears, to me, be ON Topic in this section?
erelash_mf

Post by erelash_mf »

warmweer wrote:
erelash_mf wrote:
*sigh*
Writing?? NO
This is an example, some kind of thing.

The guys today are very lazy, they love to use easy stuff. We need to make it easy to use.
Many forum site's has no mobile application.
The mobile application should be very simple.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:48 am
Point taken. As I said in my first reply it depends on the target audience. This community is by definition going to be best based on a forum, and in particular, on the forum platform being discussed. I certainly wouldn't try to use it on a smartphone, but I find a 10 inch Android tablet OK for a quick comment.
phpBB isn't a commercial product and as such it doesn't need to follow the general expectations. Naturally the developers of phpBB want the product to be popular, but they also want it to be focussed on the needs for a "forum". The responsive design (albeit far from perfect) allows using it on mobile but that automatically reduces the ease of use (on mobile).
I'm not even confident that the new design (for 4.0) will be able to increase the ease of use on mobile.
Mind you, mobile is handy for when one is on the road, I have nothing against that but the point of a (real) forum doesn't fit (IMHO) with mobile and as such the current implementation suits my "needs" and a true mobile application won't change that.
erelash_mf

Post by erelash_mf »

I first visited and used forum sites since 2002. Following the launch of the social network (facebook), the forum site was no longer used. But recently, I found the forum site interesting, because the forum site provides and discusses information. Social is messy information. The news that I published has been difficult to find over time.
I have just opened a new forum site <link removed> and I am looking for a user.
Last edited by Mick on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 am
1) is possibly addressed by Tapatalk ?
Tapatalk has issues, some quite serious, and has always had issues. It never managed to get approved here and was never resubmitted so no, not an option.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:09 am
phpBB isn't a commercial product and as such it doesn't need to follow the general expectations. Naturally the developers of phpBB want the product to be popular, but they also want it to be focussed on the needs for a "forum". The responsive design (albeit far from perfect) allows using it on mobile but that automatically reduces the ease of use (on mobile).
For sure. In fact, the ability to zoom by gesture in a standard phone browser view of a phpBB site is a boon to those of us whose eyesight isn't what it used to be. Some mobile implementations (Discourse comes to mind) will allow that in topics but pop up menus do not - so I have to get out the extra strong reading spectacles.

I try not to stay 'connected' all the time, but I do like to check on the forums I maintain occasionally from holiday trips on a motorcycle, when even a tablet is a bit cumbersome.

In no way am I criticising phpBB. Not only am I currently assisting with administering a phpBB forum with a reasonable number of subscribers (1400 but potentially 14000 - so small beer cf. this one), but have set up a new phpBB forum for a dedicated organisational task, as it is the best tool for the job in my experience.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 am
Tapatalk has issues, some quite serious, and has always had issues. It never managed to get approved here and was never resubmitted so no, not an option.
OK. If you subscribe to several FB groups that is one advantage of FB.
[Posted from a 10 inch Android Tablet]

Return to “General Discussion”