The-future-of-forums vs FB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: The-future-of-forums vs FB

Post by Tastenplayer »

The fact is that only forums can allow discussions to take place in a structured manner, present them and store the exchanged knowledge sustainably and for the long term for posterity. Facebook definitely is not able to do this.

In a Facebook group no one will ever write: "Use the search function, the topic has been covered here before".

GaiaBudz

Post by GaiaBudz »

I think the only thing Facebook has an advantage with is mobile accessibility. Phones are more and more like full fledged computers everyday, and that is the direction technology is going especially with the introduction of 5G. Regular computers will of course remain relevant, but more people are doing more on their phone, and social media conglomerates are highly accessible and intuitive on mobile devices.

You could perhaps argue the same about the intuitively of social media on desktops and laptops, with their click, upload, and go platform. But social media sites like Facebook are a convoluted, disorganized mess that make it impossible to find anything, especially impossible to find it again to refer to later if you don’t remember to bookmark it, and by then it could be gone because the person took it down. I am convinced if forums can become more intuitive on a mobile device people will start crawling back. Especially since with the right knowledge and the right extensions you can essentially turn your forum into a social networking hub of it’s own

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

If you have a phpbb that is mobile optimized - I think it is the way to go. PHPBB3 seems to be optimized for mobile and we've done the same for our phpbb2

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

JLA wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:01 pm
If you have a phpbb that is mobile optimized - I think it is the way to go. PHPBB3 seems to be optimized for mobile and we've done the same for our phpbb2
The trouble is everyone wants an app these days!

One click and its there! People are lazy

JLA

Post by JLA »

sakm wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:23 pm
JLA wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:01 pm
The trouble is everyone wants an app these days!

One click and its there! People are lazy
A simple app should be easy to create for a forum like PHPBB - either version 2 or 3. Has anybody done it yet?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

JLA wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:29 am
Has anybody done it yet?
It's called Tapatalk - and we all know the problems that creates
JLA wrote:
A simple app should be easy to create for a forum like PHPBB - either version 2 or 3.
Not quite that simple because you would need a different one for every board

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

david63 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 am
JLA wrote:
Has anybody done it yet?
It's called Tapatalk - and we all know the problems that creates
More a crAp than an App indeed. :lol:
JLA wrote:
A simple app should be easy to create for a forum like PHPBB - either version 2 or 3.
Version 2? Forget it! (your board is phpBB2 based I understand your desire). :geek: Version 3? --> No API == no true App. ;)

JLA

Post by JLA »

What would be the main challenges in creating an app for a phpbb2 board??

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

JLA wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:57 am
Nobody's interest? At least for free. :)

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

3Di wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:03 am
JLA wrote:
As in nobody is interested in making it or using?

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

sakm wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 am
3Di wrote:
JLA wrote:
I don't think there's anyone interested in doing it in advance.
I don't care that they use it if they pay me to do it, if that's what you're asking.

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

sakm wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 am
3Di wrote:
JLA wrote:
I'm sure there are those interested in using it. Making it would be non-trivial. Users would demand both Android and iOS device versions of a native app.
I did some playing around with creating an Android app to access Usenet newsgroups. Far beyond my Java coding ability but it made me realise the complexity involved in replicating the functionality of even something like the Google Groups web interface on a mobile device. By The Way - I see there is a NNTP app available 'Android Usenet Reader' but development seems to have petered out in 2011 - no real demand for it I guess.

There are development platforms available to create cross platform or hybrid apps like Apache Cordova or React Native. Still a pretty steep learning curve In My Opinion to get to approaching full phpBB functionality.

Volunteers two paces forward...

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 am
2) Ease of uploading high quality photographs and videos -particularly direct from a smartphone.

2) is improving on phpBB using client side compression.
There is no limitations other than what you set for images. The roadblocks you are going to encounter are server limitations. Creating a thumb from very large image for example requires a lot of RAM. In addition to that not a lot of benefit on small devices, at viewing distance the average human can see about 250 to 300 DPI. Assuming a phone had display with 300DPI a screen of 5"*3" would only need 1500px*900px image...

The audio and video is even larger issue because you need to convert to HTML5 compatible format if it isn't. You'd also need that software installed for reducing resolution etc. That's not going to be available on shared hosting, in fact it's not going to be installed as default on VPS/dedicated. This requires a lot of CPU, you'd have to queue the videos up and limit the CPU processing.

That said the presentation of images, video and audio can use improvement. Minimally you could make HTML compatible audio/video embedded with player.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

thecoalman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:33 pm
72degrees wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 am
2) Ease of uploading high quality photographs and videos -particularly direct from a smartphone.

2) is improving on phpBB using client side compression.
There is no limitations other than what you set for images. The roadblocks you are going to encounter are server limitations. Creating a thumb from very large image for example requires a lot of RAM. In addition to that not a lot of benefit on small devices, at viewing distance the average human can see about 250 to 300 DPI. Assuming a phone had display with 300DPI a screen of 5"*3" would only need 1500px*900px image...
Images uploaded from smartphones to forums are not always viewed on smartphones. Anyway, the latest version of plupload works well on phpBB for images (once tweaked).

mrgoldy
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy »

I've always wanted to get in touch with a mobile app developer and discuss what is necessary to create an application for a forum.
Apart from the obvious answer that an API would be ideal, but I would like to know a bit more details and specifics.
So if anyone is an app developer and/or has some insights, please let me know.

Return to “General Discussion”