The-future-of-forums vs FB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Re: The-future-of-forums vs FB

Post by JLA »

On our PHPBB2 - images and videos can be uploaded to posts directly from smartphones. In most cases they should be playable as well.

Example here
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=490357674

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

72degrees wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 pm
Images uploaded from smartphones to forums are not always viewed on smartphones. Anyway, the latest version of plupload works well on phpBB for images (once tweaked).
Most images have about a 4:3 aspect ratio, unless you have 4K monitor 1200px*900px is about the maximum for most monitors(once you include browser border etc.). There is other considerations here as well, I have 70K attachments most of which are images. If they were all 5MB that's 350GB.

In any event the point is phpBB can handle images of any size. It's really going to come down to server limits especially storage. What would be nice is better presentation; slideshow, zoom etc.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

thecoalman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:54 am
72degrees wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 pm
Images uploaded from smartphones to forums are not always viewed on smartphones. Anyway, the latest version of plupload works well on phpBB for images (once tweaked).
Most images have about a 4:3 aspect ratio, unless you have 4K monitor 1200px*900px is about the maximum for most monitors(once you include browser border etc.). There is other considerations here as well, I have 70K attachments most of which are images. If they were all 5MB that's 350GB.

In any event the point is phpBB can handle images of any size. It's really going to come down to server limits especially storage. What would be nice is better presentation; slideshow, zoom etc.
I run my desktop monitor at 1600 x 900. On technical forum sites it's nice to be able to zoom in on really HQ images of say engine sub-assemblies. What would be even nicer is to be able to set different compression levels for different forum sections (tech v. snaps).

The other approach is to compress on the server and link to cloud storage. 1Tb with no charges for egress or API requests is not that pricey these days.

Return to “General Discussion”