Looking for recomendations: should i stay with Godaaddy or is there something better?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
menz01

Looking for recomendations: should i stay with Godaaddy or is there something better?

Post by menz01 »

Hello all,
just looking for some opinions or recommendations. I have had a PHPBB forum on a Godaddy shared host for the better part of the last 5 years. Things have been ok. i did have a few troubles upgrading versions of PHPBB in the past that i thought may be because of the hosting company but the last upgrade i did went smooth after i recently upgraded to a better cpanel. Again not sure if Godaddy is good or bad, i just wonder if there is something better? i do not have SSL now and adding that will cost me alot at Godaddy but again just looking for some opinions and possible recommendations for another hosting company as my my Godaddy is going to expire soon.

what do you all think?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Looking for recomendations: should i stay with Godaaddy or is there something better?

Post by HiFiKabin »

If you look around phpBB you will find that many people have also has issues with Godaddy.

We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Looking for recomendations: should i stay with Godaaddy or is there something better?

Post by tbackoff »

I would definitely move away from GoDaddy when you can. As HiFiKabin noted, a search will pull up multiple topics/posts about trouble with their hosting.
menz01 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm i do not have SSL now and adding that will cost me alot at Godaddy
Any reason you can't use Let's Encrypt? It's free.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

I've been on Hostgator for over a year.. Been looking into switching hosts myself.Being on a shared server I have limits on what I can do..

Using the OWSAP vulnerability scanner program, I came across some vulnerabilities that I have been unable to correct..Not entirely unhappy,
Thing like setting X-XSS security policy, along with backup file disclosure etc that I have been unable to do anything about.
They just upgraded their one click install to PhPBB3.3. Before it was pretty old...

Searching for a list of cheap hosting providers, Hostgator & Bluehost keep appearing as 2 of the top providers, and are pretty evenly matched.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

hostgator used to be good but a couple of years ago they were bought by one of the huge hosting companies and since then their reputation has gone in the toilet.

as for the SSL almost all domain registrars offer this for free now days. you have to renew it every year but it is still free. I have had and still have multiple domain registrars and they auto renew my SSL certifcate for free every year. I just the email the other day that informed me that several of my domains had been renewed for the SSL.

godaddy is a great domain registrar but a lousy hosting company. they insist on setting up their hosting environment completely different from the standards in the industry. this causes major problems for many web sites.

anyway, check the http://webhostingtalk.com site and do some research. you may be amazed at what choices you have.

robert
GaiaBudz

Post by GaiaBudz »

I am in the process of setting up a e-commerce store, with a phpbb based forum to go along with it.

I am getting my hosting from GreenGeeks, their most basic plan is ultra affordable, and offers the most “unlimited” features than any other. Only I guess “downfall” would be that you can only make one website with their most basic plan. But it you’re like myself, that is perfect for what I am trying to do with it, and if I need more I’m sure as my store/forums become more successful I’ll be able to upgrade so I can expand, and even then I might not even need more than one website, so I may only ever need GreenGeeks most basic plan, and that may be the case with you. So with that said, I do highly suggest GreenGeeks.

I was also looking into BlueHost, but that is what lead me to GreenGeeks. Because BlueHost’s most basic plan does not offer unlimited features, unlike GreenGeeks.

If neither of those suit your needs, then as everyone else suggested google or webhostingtalks should help too
Lumpy Burgertushie

I think you need to check with greengeeks before you sign up.

it looks to me like the only thing you can run on that basic plan is a wp blog.
they may not allow you to install anything else. it also seems that the basic wp site is some kind of "low power" setup.

anyway,
luck,
robert
GaiaBudz

Post by GaiaBudz »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 pm I think you need to check with greengeeks before you sign up.

it looks to me like the only thing you can run on that basic plan is a wp blog.
they may not allow you to install anything else. it also seems that the basic wp site is some kind of "low power" setup.

anyway,
luck,
robert
It states it is perfect for small websites or blogs, which essentially all basic host packages any host offers are exactly for.

However, the only difference is GreenGeeks offers unlimited webspace, unlimited diskspace, and unlimited bandwidth. Which actually makes it perfect for e-commerce, especially if your webstore is just starting out. Literally the only differences between their basic, and larger packages is the ability to host more than one website, performance power, and their most expensive offers a dedicated IP.

I have spoken to both their sales and support staff, as well as having researched good and affordable web hosting for e-commerce GreenGeeks is the best, and if it’s good for e-commerce which can be very data taxing then it would be good for a standard forum and website the likes of which the OP is looking to host and develop
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Host yourself. Its not to terribly difficult.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

I've been with my host for at least five years now and haven't had much of any trouble at well. I found them at the aforementioned webhostingtalk.com website. Also, you should not have to buy a TLS certificate at all. In fact, if your hoster is a good hoster, they'll have the option in cPanel to deploy a Lets Encrypt Cert for free. Also, if you use CloudFlare you can use their free Cert, upload it in your cPanel and have a Cert for like 10 years for free before you have to change it which would most likely be free again. It's a free universal certificate.
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Only problem with the long term free certificates is that they'll start getting rejected by browsers soon enough. Apple just announced the other day that Safari will mark certificates as unsecure if they are valid for more than 13 months: https://thenextweb.com/security/2020/02 ... 13-months/
Lumpy Burgertushie

that is all about forcing you to spend more money than you have to.
a good reason not to use that browser in my opinion.
I would feel the same way about any browser that did this.

robert
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

KYPREO wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 am Only problem with the long term free certificates is that they'll start getting rejected by browsers soon enough. Apple just announced the other day that Safari will mark certificates as unsecure if they are valid for more than 13 months: https://thenextweb.com/security/2020/02 ... 13-months/
The long term Cert that is issued to you by CloudFlare is a server to server Cert. Then when you're behind CloudFlare the Cert is from CloudFlare its self.

Return to “General Discussion”