Phpbb2 Refugees

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Re: Phpbb2 Refugees

Post by JLA »

warmweer wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:42 pm
Random American wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:35 pm
Not to say phpbb2 isn't good, but are there any security concerns?
phpBB2 as originally released: YES
However seeing the names on phpBB2 Refugees and what has been done with it, my guess is that quite a number of security related patches were used.
Yes, there have been several patches and fixes released since the last official phpbb2 version from phpbb.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

JLA wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Mick wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:18 am
I would have thought that the people still using v2, including the refugees, are old school and couldn’t care less about responsive.
We care... and ours seems to work fine with mobile devices
I don't doubt that it would "work", in the sense that it would be possible to use it, but given it lacks even a viewport tag I'm pretty sure that using it on mobile would not be particularly easy or pleasant. Unless you have some hidden mobile-specific code that doesn't get applied to a quick window resize test on desktop.

JLA

Post by JLA »

Gumboots wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:48 pm
JLA wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Mick wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:18 am
I would have thought that the people still using v2, including the refugees, are old school and couldn’t care less about responsive.
We care... and ours seems to work fine with mobile devices
I don't doubt that it would "work", in the sense that it would be possible to use it, but given it lacks even a viewport tag I'm pretty sure that using it on mobile would not be particularly easy or pleasant. Unless you have some hidden mobile-specific code that doesn't get applied to a quick window resize test on desktop.
Working just fine on our phpbb2 board.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

I got curious. :D

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-f ... 648GjqUMMg

But hey, if your lot are happy with it that's fine for them. I'm just pointing out that it would not normally be regarded as responsive, or as friendly to mobile users. Among other things, people expect to be able to use pages without pinching to zoom when they load a page.

JLA

Post by JLA »

Gumboots wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:16 am
I got curious. :D

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-f ... 648GjqUMMg

But hey, if your lot are happy with it that's fine for them. I'm just pointing out that it would not normally be regarded as responsive, or as friendly to mobile users. Among other things, people expect to be able to use pages without pinching to zoom when they load a page.
I agree. Not sure why the folks at that board have not decided to make a mobile friendly. It can be done easily though.

Random American

Post by Random American »

Maybe they didn't think their target audience was very likely to be using a mobile device when posting for support for the phpbb2 line.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

JLA wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 am
I agree. Not sure why the folks at that board have not decided to make a mobile friendly. It can be done easily though.
Ah, we appear to have got crossed wires here. I thought you were saying that phpBB2 was good to go for mobile. I assume you've sorted the basics at your own site, which I agree should be easy enough.

JLA

Post by JLA »

Gumboots wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 am
JLA wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 am
Ah, we appear to have got crossed wires here. I thought you were saying that phpBB2 was good to go for mobile. I assume you've sorted the basics at your own site, which I agree should be easy enough.
Yes on our board (which is phpbb2 based) we are mobile friendly

Return to “General Discussion”