The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Random American

The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Random American »

The coronavirus is obviously something that is being talked about constantly and I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned here yet, as it is having a significant impact on world affairs.

The pope has canceled his public appearances due to the outbreak in Italy.

More than half of U.S. states have cases of this infection.

We've also most likely heard of the fears involving an infected cruise ship.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Tastenplayer »

BAG Campagne - Federal Office of Public Health Switzerland
Flyer - Coronavirus FR, DE, IT, EN

A large Cantonal Health Office Solothurn poster hangs on the entrance door of the doctor's surgery:
Doctor's office is not allowed to enter in case of fever above 38 degrees and with cold symptoms, if one had travelled to certain countries (names of the countries).
Instead, one must immediately go to the public hospital. Call first xxx
Doctor is not allowed to shake hands when saying goodbye, etc.

Doctor keeps his distance if possible - he gave me an emergency injection standing up instead of lying down as usual (it definitely hurt less standing up than usual).
Everywhere in the shops, stores, grocery stores are hand disinfectants. But in the shop it is not much use - unless you pay by card. You have to touch the money, but if you use the card you also have to use the operate keyboard.

Lucerne Cantonal Hospital
Visitors: In order to minimise the risk of infection, visitor frequencies will be restricted until further notice. A maximum of two visitors per day per patient; no visitors with cough, cold or fever; visits by children only in exceptional cases; restaurants have limited access.

Citizens' Hospital Solothurn
How to protect yourself:
Wash hands regularly with soap or disinfect hands
Use paper handkerchiefs and dispose of them in a waste bin after use
Cough in the crook of your arm
Keep your distance to sick people (masks do not reliably protect healthy people)

What do I do when I'm sick?
Stay at home. Don't visit the hospital.
If you have questions, contact your family doctor or the BAG hotline T +41 58 463 00 00. If you do not have a family doctor and an examination is necessary, call the hospital beforehand by telephone so that the necessary preparations can be made.
If available, wear a mask in contact with your fellow human beings. Avoid unnecessary contact.
https://www.solothurnerspitaeler.ch/pat ... ronavirus/

Somehow I find some things extremely exaggerated. But sometimes it's a little bit scary, especially since I live in a small local village with many inhabitants, commuters and visitors from endangered countries. Especially if you are older and not healthy. I am also allergic to almost all antibiotics, any medication at all. The fact is: if my watch is up, it's up.

Healthy and not elderless people actually have enough resistance should they become infected. Insofar as one immediately goes into treatment.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

whatever you do, only trust information that comes from reliable sources.
probably 99% of the info you find online is wrong or exaggerated.

most of the info is based on fear and /or ignorance.

luck,
robert
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 pm
I second this.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
Random American

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 pm
whatever you do, only trust information that comes from reliable sources.
probably 99% of the info you find online is wrong or exaggerated.

luck,
robert
I don't disagree with you here. There was a guest on CNN that claimed that most of the fear was unwarranted.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well, you can take most of what the main stream media says as crap to begin with. they seem to want to instill fear and lies in the public about everything these days.

the reliable sources I mentioned above did not include the media unless they are quoting what the CDC or other actual doctors are saying. ( they are not likely to do that if the info from those doctors does not fit in with their desire to instill fear and panic in the masses. )
robert
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Because of the media's BS people have been stocking up on N95 masks, toilet paper, hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol among other things. I've read that the flu kills more people a year. Hopefully a vaccine will come out soon and all this crap can go back to hell where it belongs. By Summer I'm sure the cases will be less.
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

This has happened several times before. In the early 90s there was an extreme wave of flu. All our employees were unable to work with 39 and more fever. My boss, an assistant and I (as assistant) worked with 39 + degree fever. Many old people died. All the time you could hear an ambulance. But there was not so much noise in the media as there is today.
One winter in my village many old people disappeared almost simultaneously. You could see the ambulance cars in front of the houses and later that their apartments and homes were vacated. You didn't read about it in the newspaper.
There was the bird flu and so on.
The many medicines that are taken throughout the year for every ailment, no matter how small, are addictive and cause people to develop less resistance. Every vaccination brings many negative effects.
david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:13 am
Hopefully a vaccine will come out soon
Don't hold your breath. From what I have read it will be at least another year before there will be a vaccine available in the quantity needed to vaccinate the world's population - and nobody has said who will pay for it.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I know its of concern, but lets put things into proportion. Currently there have been a total of 107,490 cases of which 3,652 have died world wide since the outbreak was reported.

source https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

'normal' seasonal flu has an average death toll of 646,000 (~1,770 a day)

source https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main ... key=208914

4109 die from TB EVERY DAY. (1.5 million a year) but thats not newsworthy dare I say because its mainly a third world problem.

source https://www.tballiance.org/why-new-tb-d ... l-pandemic

Yes, take precautions but be sensible at the same time.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:45 am
I know its of concern, but lets put things into proportion. Currently there have been a total of 107,490 cases of which 3,652 have died world wide since the outbreak was reported.
Just to add more than 57k are already cured. That statistic isn't covered by media as much I wonder why ;)
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

HiFiKabin wrote:
4109 die from TB EVERY DAY. (1.5 million a year) but thats not newsworthy dare I say because its mainly a third world problem.
That's exactly right! and even more starve and die of thirst, the world does not care half as much as this coronavirus does now.
In any case, healthy people in Europe who are not yet stone age have not yet died. Provided one goes to the clinic immediately.
Random American

Mannix_ wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:03 pm
HiFiKabin wrote:
Just to add more than 57k are already cured. That statistic isn't covered by media as much I wonder why ;)
It's not sensational and thus it probably won't improve their ratings.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Mannix_ wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:03 pm
HiFiKabin wrote:
That's not quite the right wording. They haven't been cured because there isn't a cure yet. They've recovered from the symptoms of their own accord because it's not that much different to getting a cold.

David is right about a vaccine taking a while yet. Small, medium and large scale human trials of any vaccine take a long time to do and the data has to be carefully analysed before the next stage is approved. But the first pharma company to come out with one will make an absolute fortune!

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

While I agree that coronavirus possibly isn't the fullblown international danger it may seem according to the (general) media, I do feel the measures taken shouldn't be considered overkill at this time. Not enough is known about the virus to just simply downplay it and although the measures taken (limiting travel, 2 weeks isolation for possible contaminated cases, etc...) seem drastic, those are probably necessary if only to gather epidemiologic data in order to be able to contain it should that really become a necessity.
Currently the 80+ (also 70+) seem most at risk (understandable) but what if the toddler generation turns out to be highly susceptible?
Up to now, there is insufficient data about the body's immune reaction and a "culling" on a scale similar to the Spanish Flu cannot be excluded as yet (still, one also has to take into account that the Spanish Flu arrived at a time when the general health of the population, and the medical facilities weren't at the level they are now.). The major problem is that people can be infectious long before symptoms appear so trying to contain it while it is still in the beginning stages is probably nor a bad idea - give some credit to the WHO.

Return to “General Discussion”