The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 am
Trust me when I say you don't know who's at the other end of the WAN connection
Oh, I believe you.
you know the saying: the louder the shout ...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Apparently William Shakespeare wrote “King Lear” while he was self isolating during the plague. So, all you aspiring coders and extension writers should use this opportunity to write something awesome :D
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Corona Dance in Iran for their patients!!! and to strengthen your own motivation (SorenaTV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCceloMYw4
Men & women nurses are dancing in Iran's hospitals for to improve theirs mood!

Coronavirus Dance Challenge by nurses and doctors in Iran to boost the mood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J05Z5Ym_GY

Coronavirus patients dance at makeshift Wuhan hospital (CGTN America)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tVRGos1-8
Patients at a makeshift hospital in Wuhan were encouraged to dance by doctors to ease their tension.

Coronavirus medical staff dance with quarantined patients in Wuhan (South China Morning Post)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZcpYSkcYPM

Corona dance in Greek clinic (0:17) The video is pretty stupid at the beginning and end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d664a49NZpE
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Mick wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 am
Apparently William Shakespeare wrote “King Lear” while he was self isolating during the plague. So, all you aspiring coders and extension writers should use this opportunity to write something awesome :D
Or get your machines using spare processor time to help in the fight:
https://unraid.net/blog/help-take-the-f ... lding-home
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’ve been contributing to BOINC/SETI for many years, it’s a good idea.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Theres some selfish and greedy b's out there
screenshot_372.jpg
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Here's an interactive map from John Hopkins. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I just saw a headline that Oregon police are urging people not to call 9-11 if they're out of toilet paper. Unreal! I guess a plain ol' washcloth never occurred to anyone?

HiFiKabin wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:05 pm
Theres some selfish and greedy b's out there

screenshot_372.jpg

Yeah, last week I was interested on seeing if there were any N95 masks on eBay or Amazon. They were but for some $35 a piece! I also read a headline that Canadian authorities shut down a greed head Amazon seller.

72degrees wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am
Or get your machines using spare processor time to help in the fight:
https://unraid.net/blog/help-take-the-f ... lding-home
I used to participate in F@H years ago for a tech forum that no longer exists, but with all the years worth of processing I have to wonder what came of it all? Cancer still hasn't been cured for that matter because of it. I may fire up the client just for the sake of covid-19, but am I really going to see anything from it all the while putting wear and tear on my computer and increasing my electric bill?

What they really need to do, and this would be absolutely fantastic, is create an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) much like the ones for cryptocurrency mining just for F@H code. I don't know the specifics on code and whether an ASIC can be created for F@H, but it sounds like a nice start up project for one to take on if at all possible. If someone out there is reading this and is capable, do check into it.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The Scots have a saying "many a mickle makes a muckle".
My contribution might not individually achieve anything, but it makes me feel better having this Windows machine and an Ubuntu server chipping in.

The server is very lightly loaded much of the time so it's achieving a pretty good turnaround time on BOINC Rosetta@home. If I wasn't already part of a 'Team' I'd suggest a phpBB Community one. Might install F@H on that box too.
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

I had to get medicine and of course I also visited a small supermarket (one of the biggest food chains) in the village. One became frighteningly aware of what one had thought for a long time.
My allergic bread was still missing. The whole huge rack was practically empty, there was hardly any toast bread left. The same was true for the packed lettuce and the rack of the long-life milk and milk substitutes. There were also gaps everywhere else.
All products that come from restricted cantons or from abroad or are made with foreign ingredients.
Of course we certainly don't have to starve and die of thirst. But over time, the selection in the grocery stores will shrink drastically. Especially for allergy sufferers!
It slowly reminds me of my first flight in 1986, when I had cheap holidays only to Bulgaria. A whole morning on the bicycle looking for milk for my son - none found. There was bread in another supermarket. They all had many racks but there were at most three products in each shop. The remaining racks were empty. Milk reached the rural, seaside areas only in the late afternoon. In every restaurant there was always the same food with little choice. We had food coupons so that one could go somewhere else to eat.

Business with hand disinfection is booming Prices are often extreme. But the offer in HiFiKabin's Post, 46 pounds for 500ml are the absolute peak!
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Now the out gau is spoken in Switzerland
https://www.handelszeitung.ch/panorama/ ... 9-april-zu Published on 16.03.2020, updated 3 hours ago.
The Federal Council seals Switzerland off and mobilises the army. It is the largest mobilisation since the Second World War.
Restrictions on public life in Switzerland - Ordinance of the Federal Council of 16 March 2020, valid from midnight until at least 19 April!

Events: are generally prohibited. Playgrounds for children remain open.
Schools: Schools closed until 19 April. For crèches, communes and cantons must offer alternatives.
Universities: classes are cancelled, closed until 19 April
Sport: All sports, bathing and wellness facilities remain closed.
Gastronomy: bars and restaurants must close. Hotels may remain open.
Cultural & Social Cinemas, museums and concerts are closed.
Shopping: May remain open: Shops for daily needs, grocery stores. Bakeries and butcher's shops, for example. Also: kiosks, drugstores and pharmacies. Post offices and bank branches.
Occupation: In principle, working life goes on. As soon as employees show signs of illness, they have to stay at home.
Travel: Entry from all neighbouring countries is only permitted with reason. Exceptions apply to citizens of Schwiez and people with a branch office. Transit is possible.
Public transport will be reduced. International trains end at the borders. There are also restrictions on regional transport.
As a consequence:

All shops, restaurants, bars, and entertainment and leisure facilities will be closed until April 19, 2020.
Excluded are, among others, grocery stores and health care facilities.
Switzerland will also introduce controls at the borders with Germany, Austria and France from midnight.
The Federal Council has authorised the deployment of up to 8000 military personnel to support the cantons in hospitals, logistics and security.

These regulations will apply from midnight until 19 April. From then on, all shops, markets, restaurants, bars and entertainment and leisure facilities such as museums, libraries, cinemas, concert halls and theatres, sports centres, swimming pools and ski resorts will be closed. But also service companies that require close personal contact will have to close - such as hairdressing salons or beauty salons.
Sure - kiosks may remain open. That would be bad, no tobacco sales :evil: . But I can't pick up my tinted glasses clip anymore for the time being. And I can't get my defective computer under warranty.
Shops for daily needs, such as butcher's shops and bakeries, drugstores and pharmacies, as well as banks, post offices, kiosks and hotels will remain open. Workshops for means of transport may also remain open. However, you must comply with the protective measures.

"The supply of the entire population with food, medicines and goods for daily use is guaranteed, and sufficient stocks have been built up", the Federal Council announced.
The army is deployed

In a further step, the Federal Council is raising the upper limit for assistance service from 800 to 8000 military personnel. This applies until the end of June 2020.

The armed forces should:

support the health system with medical services, in particular with nursing, patient monitoring, medical transports or hospital logistics
If necessary, it will take over logistical tasks such as transport and assistance in setting up improvised infrastructure.
In the area of security, it is to relieve the cantonal police corps, for example by providing greater support for embassy protection, or by supporting the border guard corps at national borders and airports.
Around 3000 members of the armed forces are available for medical support.

Recruit schools, veterans and refresher courses are to be used. These missions will be extended if necessary. Additional troops will also be mobilised for this purpose. These include all four hospital battalions and five medical companies. They are to be brought into action within four days.

"We have never deployed so many people since the Second World War," says Federal Councillor Viola Amherd on the deployment.
Controls on neighbouring countries will be tightened

The borders with Germany, Austria and France will be checked from midnight and entry bans with exceptions will be introduced. "Swiss nationals and persons with residence permits may continue to enter the country," says Federal Councillor Karin Keller-Sutter.

In detail: Only Swiss citizens, persons with a residence permit in Switzerland and persons who have to travel to Switzerland for professional reasons are still allowed to enter the country from the four major neighbouring countries. "Transit and goods traffic will continue to be permitted", says Federal Councillor Karin Keller-Sutter.

This is intended to maintain the capacities in the Swiss healthcare system, says Keller-Sutter. The Federal Council is also pursuing the possible decision on a total EU entry ban.
Help for the economy

In addition to the Federal Councillors, other representatives expressed their views, including Seco boss Marie-Gabrielle Ineichen-Fleisch.

She assured the affected SMEs of further support and again mentioned the possibility of short-time working or guarantees. However, she also concedes that "not all cases are yet covered". One works with high pressure on solutions, according to Ineichen-Fleisch.

Also the banks will help, it was further said. Sommaruga also commented on the aid measures: "Ten billion were spoken on Friday. There will be even more".
"We have the means.
translated all with deeple.com translator - sorry! But it is too much - too complicated and I am visibly shocked.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

It's unbelievable how stupid and selfish some people are with all that hoarding. In the Netherlands it's really bad, in Belgium it's also bad but not frightening: milk, bread, toilet paper, water, non-perishable foods were still available (in my area).
Yes I also bought an extra bread to put in the deepfreezer, butter, potatoes, a pack of toiletpaper (I was running out of anyway) and some milk, and so did other customers, but nothing excessive. Hopefully things will stay that way and the supply chain won't be broken (currently there's no talk about that).

Funny thing: I got a mail from my internet provider: since many people have to stay at home and there'll hardly be any outdoor entertainment: they doubled the monthly datatransfer allowance (of the contract) and have added some internet entertainment channels (no idea which - don't have time anyway) for ... FREE, until at least half April, no customer action needed. I don't know about other providers but I suspect they'll do the same (or have done already).

Added specifically for Tastenplayer: when is that Corona style going to be released ? :P
and for HiFiKabin: how about adding some viruses to your bugs extension. :twisted:
Last edited by warmweer on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

New advice for the UK from the PM
  • Everyone should avoid gatherings and crowded places, such as pubs, clubs and theatres
    Everyone should work from home if they can
    All "unnecessary" visits to friends and relatives in care homes should cease
    By next weekend, those with the most serious health conditions must be "largely shielded from social contact for around 12 weeks"
    The UK is now "three weeks" behind Italy - the worst-hit country in Europe
    If one person in any household has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days
    Those people should, if possible, avoid leaving the house "even to buy food or essentials" - but they may leave the house "for exercise and, in that case, at a safe distance from others"
    Schools will not be closed for the moment
Chief medical adviser Prof Chris Whitty said the group of people who should take "particular care to minimise their social contact" were:
  • People over the age of 70
    Other adults who would normally be advised to have the flu vaccine (such as those with chronic diseases)
    Pregnant women
... and we can not get an on line delivery slot anywhere so we will HAVE to go out
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Added specifically for Tastenplayer: when is that Corona style going to be released ? :P
I already have two styles in process, unfortunately!
But we'll see - if the right idea comes up in the next 4 weeks, which are almost all closed. And you hardly dare to go outside with the dog, because you could be looked at in a strange way.:mrgreen:
Here already a suitable Corona style header
coronaheader.jpg
https://pixabay.com/de/illustrations/co ... e-4930541/ These logos you find at the bottom right of this link.
alternative logo:
coroanlogo.jpg
coroanlogo.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Unfortunately there are already plenty of black styles. A completely red one would be too blatant and with this blue the eyes would not have much fun either. So we would not only have Corona but also masses of eye damage. But this corona monster would be the absolutely fitting header for this disaster :mrgreen: . But yes, you could do the crass blue one. But unfortunately I can't pick up the tinted glasses clip anymore. Opticians are all closed on Mondays in CH. And I have to stay with the bad screen. So if I did it like this, I'd probably just see stars for a few weeks.
This one fits already existing styles: https://pixabay.com/de/illustrations/qu ... s-4925798/
or this suits gaming forums https://pixabay.com/de/photos/pandemie- ... a-4933793/
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

Doesn't anybody Realize that if it got bad enough for people to need all that Toilet Paper they hoarded, There probably wont be any water in the tank to flush??
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am
Corona Dance in Iran for their patients!!! and to strengthen your own motivation (SorenaTV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCceloMYw4
Men & women nurses are dancing in Iran's hospitals for to improve theirs mood!

Coronavirus Dance Challenge by nurses and doctors in Iran to boost the mood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J05Z5Ym_GY

Coronavirus patients dance at makeshift Wuhan hospital (CGTN America)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tVRGos1-8
Patients at a makeshift hospital in Wuhan were encouraged to dance by doctors to ease their tension.

Coronavirus medical staff dance with quarantined patients in Wuhan (South China Morning Post)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZcpYSkcYPM

Corona dance in Greek clinic (0:17) The video is pretty stupid at the beginning and end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d664a49NZpE
Are they by chance using Nero's Fiddle?

Return to “General Discussion”