The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Mick »

Please use the quote function only when it is needed to make your reply clear and only quote the parts necessary not the whole post every time. Excessive quoting (especially of long messages and/or multiple images) makes reading and following the post or topic extremely difficult and tiresome, thanks.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Almost a bit of irony..

A 95-year-old grandmother becomes the oldest woman in Italy to recover from coronavirus!
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/22/95-year- ... -12438267/

Alma Clara Corsini became the first person to recover from coronavirus in Modena, Italy

However: if she has managed this at her age, then everyone of us here will manage it - or will! But I'm sure she lived a very modest and healthy life.
Even if it is almost a bit ironic - I printed out the photo and placed it in my office.

For the men:
Earlier this week, it was confirmed that a 97-year-old man, who is believed to be the oldest person to have survived coronavirus in Italy, returned to his home in Cremona, Lombardy, after spending two weeks in hospital.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Reporter: the border guards

It is easy to see: there are simply people who learn nothing.
Now they show the customs transits on SRF1 (Swiss TV1). And there are always Germans and Swiss at a border crossing, which has a large field and which could not yet be secured with concrete posts, who remove the barrier and drive through. Such a thing is simply not understandable at all! That's out of the question! :evil: :shock:

Besides, many trucks come from far away, mainly from the Eastern Bloc. The drivers don't even speak English and communication with the customs official in the glass house is hardly possible. You could see how he had to go out to the truck driver to scan the card himself and record the data in the electronic device. Definitely a dangerous job these customs officers are doing at the moment!

At last they showed a car driver who came back from vacation. It was late at night. In Germany he could still have gone over. But he couldn't enter Switzerland. So he had to turn back. They said that he could not enter Switzerland either by car or on foot. Somehow also abnormal, if you don't even let the Swiss in, despite pandemic. Only one commuting cyclist could get through.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

JLA wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 pm
...and regardless of the source - it is pretty useful stuff for most people.
Isn't that exactly the problem across nearly all platforms right now, though. (Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, email, etc.) People sending bad information mixed with good information, without citing sources or citing irrelevant sources, all in order to sound credible. Not that this started with the current public health emergency, but is simply the latest reason we're receiving "forward to everyone you know" message of dubious premise.

How does anyone read the phrase "recommendations of a colleague who has a friend (can't understand the name that she gives) who works in the main hospital" and choose to spend any more or their time on this. That reads like every spam email you've ever had forwarded to you. She's a person, who has a colleague, and that colleague has a friend, and that friend holds an unspecified job -- could be janitor, could be receptionist, could be doctor -- at a hospital in the Canary Islands, and that person in turn has information from an unspecified source.

We want this person's third-hand take on what to do, which they received from someone of unspecified credentials, why exactly? Being accepting of such things is how misinformation is able to spread. It's how people end up using phrases like "what I heard", or "everyone is saying", or "the doctors here all asked how I know so much about this stuff" when trying to justify the unsubstantiated and unscientific statements they're making.

Nothing is "regardless of the source", especially in something this important. If you don't know the source, you have no basis on which to weigh the significance of the information. "But she seems like a nice lady" or "these sound like things people will appreciate" are irrelevant to being an actual good source of information that is worth propagating. Given the damage we can see misinformation doing to our lives these days, our standards need to be better than that.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would not trust anything I saw on facebook or twitter etc.
at the very least go to an actual news site. even the news sites can not be trusted half the time to report facts accurately.
and , as said above, certainly don't trust what someone's friend of a brother's second cousin's mother in law's neighbor said.

be careful out there and be smart. stay away from everybody as much as you can. wear gloves and/or wash your hands a lot. wear a mask if you are sick and take care of your elderly or sick family/friends as best you can.

luck,
robert

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I agree Robert, I NEVER would trust any 'advice' from Twatter or FaceAche. I can not believe some of the (lets be polite) rubbish going around. All of the below have been posted as cures/preventatives:-

Eat Garlic
'Miracle minerals'
Home-made hand sanitiser
Drinkable silver
Drinking water every 15 minutes
Heat and avoiding ice cream

Source

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

just above, there is this:
My husband heard / read today that so far only smokers have died. Because the lungs are too badly damaged by the nicotine.
I have no information one way or the other about this but I seriously doubt that it is only smokers dieing.

true, smokers usually do have bad lungs but so do people with COPD like my 85 year old mother.
but not all smokers have bad lungs either. I smoked for many years. I quit 16 years ago and according to my doctors I was lucky and did not have any lung problems.

robert

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

Press Release from ASH (Action on Smoking and Health, UK anti smoking Charity)

Health Secretary: “It is abundantly clear that smoking makes the impact of a coronavirus worse”

Source

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

That's a bit like stating that water is wet. It's already known, or should be, that smoking aggravates any respiratory problems. That's not the same as claiming (as above) that only smokers will die from this virus.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

Exactly so. Thats about the only reference I can find thats even close to the dubious claim that Robert referenced.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

If it's on social media, and claiming that "I know someone who knows someone who has a friend who is a doctor/scientist/expert of undefined qualifications/God and they said that...", then I would automatically assume it is BS. :D

bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

I recommend Over proof rum. After all, Alcohol is an antiseptic.
It might not cure The Virus, BUT after a few Rum & Coke's....

Random American

Post by Random American »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Press Release from ASH (Action on Smoking and Health, UK anti smoking Charity)

Health Secretary: “It is abundantly clear that smoking makes the impact of a coronavirus worse”

Source
Smoking makes pretty much exacerbates any health problems.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

In the news here it was reported a man is recovering after being given that medication for malaria. I can't remember the name of that medication now. He thought he was going to die. They gave him that medication and all of a sudden he bounced back. The French know about this medication as well.

As to the social media rumor crap, I read a bunch of hearsay being passed along via social media that have all been disproven by the world health organization. Garlic, hot baths, nasal water cleaning or what ever it's called, mosquitoes biting you giving you covid-19, etc. All false.

Return to “General Discussion”