The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Tastenplayer »

Now it seems that what I have long feared is coming true! But the Chinese I have long believed almost nothing. You have to wait and see what happens in Europe.

Already the second dog in Hong Kong tested positive for coronavirus, although it showed no symptoms. His master was in quarantine. So what is it?

The Hong Kong government has urged people not to abandon their pets. They should also stop kissing the animals if possible. A second dog tested positive for coronavirus. But the animal would have shown no symptoms of the disease.

A German Shepherd dog living in the Pok Fu Lam area of Hong Kong Island was sent into quarantine on Thursday along with another mixed-breed dog from the same apartment. Its owner was considered infected at the time and was in quarantine. This was confirmed by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation (AFCD) in a statement.

Although the shepherd dog tested positive for the virus, there was no positive test for coronavirus in the mixed-breed dog. "Neither dog has shown any signs of CoViD-19 disease," the AFCD said, adding that they will continue to monitor both dogs and perform repeated tests on the animals.

"Our pets can be a comfort and not a cause for concern in this evolving Covid-19 environment," said Dr. Jim Blacka, veterinarian in IDEXX's Companion Animal Commercial Business, "IDEXX's data to date shows no cases of the novel coronavirus in thousands of tested dog and cat samples, which is good news for pets and the people who care for them," he added.

Nevertheless, the AFCD said it "strongly advises" that mammals, including dogs and cats, from households with people infected with Covid-19 or who have been in close contact with other people infected with the virus should be quarantined in government facilities.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

That would be the peak. My dog has been fighting for more than 1 year against a strong Boreliosis infection, which he picked up from a single tick, much too early, during the cold season. He definitely doesn't need a corona infection from me.
But he should actually be hardened, because he was bitten by a scorpion when he was less than 1 year old in Greece and fought against the poison for several days (Fortunately I had stayed in Switzerland. I would have surely a seizure otherwise. My husband had told me this much later. :twisted: ).
Be that as it may. In a couple of weeks, my dog's blood will be retested for Lyme disease, then we'll see.

https://frask.de/hund-an-coronavirus-er ... -getestet/
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Coronavirus: Easyjet-Pilot helps out as an asparagus cutter in the field
Severin Brüngger (42) normally works as a pilot for Easyjet. Because of the corona virus, he voluntarily works ten hours a day in an asparagus field.
severinbrungger @severinbrungger
It's good for every armchair farter, including me. Work as a harvest helper. Cripple for 10 hours for a lousy wage. But good mood on the way home.
"Ready for takeoff?" Normally Severin Brüngger is in the air every day as a pilot. Because of the coronavirus and its effects on air travel, the 42-year-old was suddenly unemployed.

Because his employer Easyjet has the entire fleet on the ground. When flight operations can resume is still open.
Pilot toils in the asparagus field

So Brüngger spent the first weeks of the partial lockdown at his home in Schaffhausen. But he soon noticed that the days in his own four walls were passing with difficulty.

In the newspaper, the man from Eastern Switzerland read about an asparagus farmer from the region who is losing most of his guest workers due to the corona virus. Brüngger did not hesitate for long and volunteered to be an asparagus picker.
Long shifts, low wages

In the meantime, the trained pilot has been toiling daily in an asparagus field for three working weeks. "It really is brutally hard work," Brüngger sums up his first time as an asparagus picker.

On an average day, he says, you spend at least ten hours in the field. And that with a constant stooped posture: "It's back-breaking work that is very badly paid. I have great respect for the people who do it for several months every year.
"Do it too!"

But Brüngger doesn't want to complain, he affirms. So far he hasn't regretted his decision at all. On the contrary: "I will now appreciate my job as a pilot even more. There are no coffee breaks here", Brüngger laughs.

People in a similar situation are immediately recommended by the Easyjet pilot to work as an asparagus cutter: "Do it too, so that you realise how well you normally do!

Recently, farmers had sounded the alarm in the wake of the coronavirus because they were short of foreign helpers for the asparagus season. In addition to volunteers, farmers also work together with the recruitment agency Coople, which provides help.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) https://www.nau.ch/news/schweiz/coronav ... s-65696553
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

another example from the shallow end of the gene pool.

robert
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

Crops intended for restaurants rotting in the fields. Even Food Banks can only accept so much.
Soylent Green is People!!
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

3Di wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:28 am
Not for people with claustrophobia or breathing problems.
Here in my village this plastic full bag would be quite suitable for some :)
-------
zaeme-uf-distanz.jpg
:mrgreen:
Combs at a distance ( Zäme uf Distanz)

The canton Solothurn is launching a major campaign
Friday, April 24:

In the fight against the corona virus, the canton Solothurn is launching a major awareness-raising campaign under the slogan "Zäme uf Distanz". It is crucial that the rules of distance and hygiene continue to be observed. To this end, the canton is teaming up with well-known artists and sportsmen. The campaign will begin with a video message by the writer Pedro Lenz. https://www.radio32.ch/news/zaeme-uf-distanz/

What's the use of that! When there are no police around and everyone can do what they want.
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

An older contribution, but impressive

The fight against corona requires creative means: numerous airlines are now using their largely useless passenger jets for cargo flights - and also stuffing the cabin with cargo. One airline has even converted two A330s into "Combi" aircraft.

Firmly lashed to the seats: Lufthansa also uses the cabin of this Airbus A330 as cargo storage space - including the luggage compartments.

https://www.flugrevue.de/zivil/pakete-s ... erwandeln/
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Shown on Friday on Swiss TV
Corona as catalyst - from coffee machine to ventilator in a few weeks (Developed for the USA at the request of Starbucks)
https://www.srf.ch/news/regional/zentra ... gen-wochen (Videos)

The Weggiser company Thermoplan produces coffee machines in normal times - among others for the American Starbucks group. But these are not normal times. Following an inquiry from Starbucks as to whether it was possible to develop ventilators, Managing Director Adrian Steiner put his employees on the case. It worked, Thermoplan is already testing prototypes on first-aid dummies.

Motors that normally press coffee out of a Starbucks machine can now help damaged lungs breathe. How is the company steered into waters unfamiliar to the industry within a very short time? In an interview, managing director Adrian Steiner explains how the company has implemented the "medium-crazy idea" and what prospects it opens up.

SRF News: How far are you from actually producing the ventilators?

Adrian Steiner: Last week we put a prototype into operation. It is very stable and meets all the requirements for ventilating a patient. Two doctors confirmed this to us. Now the device is on its way to the USA and then the certification process will start there in an accelerated procedure. Other companies received approval within four weeks.

How many of these ventilators could you manufacture in Weggis?

The big advantage is that 80 percent of the device consists of coffee machine parts. So we know the components and we can get them quickly. By the end of next week we will also have the infrastructure to ramp up production. If you just look at the production time and the number of employees, we could produce between 600 and 800 machines per week.

How did you know how to make these ventilators?

It comes from MIT, an American university. That knowledge was made available to the public. Then in Switzerland we worked with Roche, Medela and various doctors.

Would you ever have believed that you would one day actually manufacture ventilators?

Six months ago the answer would have been a resounding no. But this crisis has created a dynamic that has made something virtually impossible possible. I am incredibly proud that we have achieved this.

If the device is certified: Could you imagine continuing to manufacture ventilators after the crisis?

That was never a priority for us. Starbucks asked us for help as an important customer, and we were able to help them. But by working so hard on the subject, we also got a taste for technology and the medtech industry. At the present time, it is not impossible that Thermoplan will build up a new foothold in the medical technology sector in the future. Of course we are aware that this changeover is much more complex in normal times.
(translated with deepl)
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:44 am
How did you know how to make these ventilators?
Because ventilator tech is not exactly cutting edge and there are designs and manufacturers all over the place. Dyson produced their working design ‘CoVent’ in ten days. They are only controlled suck and blow after all.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

This is what the interviewer asked (Miriam Eisner conducted the interview). Deepl just translated the interview for me :)
But it shows how little attention is paid to this development until it burns somewhere and it suddenly becomes urgent!

The same problem with the development of medicaments for rare diseases and vaccines. Everything has to be as inexpensive and profitable as possible, while still being affordable for health insurance companies.
This is why an extremely large number of medicines have been removed from the list in Switzerland in the last two years. With the consequence that you have to pay for them yourself if you need them. My doctor soon gets grey hairs in search of medecins which I will be paid and which my body also accepts. You feel more and more like rabbit trial.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is no ban on political discussion in the general forum but some of these posts are veering way off topic. Let's try and keep them on topic please.

Thanks

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:41 am
another example from the shallow end of the gene pool.

robert
You actually pose the same but lower risk with a mask if they don't have the valve for exhalation. People with respiratory problems of course have the greatest risk. You only need about 5% CO2 and you'll start to feel the affects. Fortunately it's just a matter of getting some fresh air to alleviate it.

In odd coincidence I purchased a box of 20 n95 masks back in January for working around the house. Gave 5 to relative who works in pharmacy and about ten others to older family members.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:02 am
Crops intended for restaurants rotting in the fields. Even Food Banks can only accept so much.
The food they are not eating restaurants would still need to be consumed. Lot of people like myself cleaning out the pantries and freezers. I also have to wonder if that has to do with the supply chain and they are having difficulty diverting it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

I consider it a terrible thing (what I consider very serious):
Many people have hardly any money left, they even have debts. However, food and other urgently needed goods have already risen significantly in price.
It will surely get much worse with the price increases. Firstly, some raw materials are becoming scarce and then the companies will have to recoup their losses.
Even those who take advantage of the situation now. What you need for protection can cost what it wants, you just need it - pay what is asked for. The prices will not be reduced as drastically later as they have been increased now. But soap, detergents etc. are still needed later.
Because there have been so many more unemployed and it was already impossible to find work in many areas, there will be even more wage dumping.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNBCVM4KbUM

Reminds of the the great movie I Am Legend.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

The unsolicited spam has started from people wanting to sell Face Masks. (As if I would ever consider purchasing from somebody I never heard of, or contacted)....

Return to “General Discussion”