The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by bubbathegimp »

Happy National Hairstylist Appreciation Day

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

Looks like that guy who apparently drank fish tank chemicals to stem COVID-19 may have been murdered. So much for that anti-Trump narrative. All of the media jumped on that bandwagon right quick and once again it'll bite them in the a$$.

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 am
Happy National Hairstylist Appreciation Day
I have to wonder if Great Clips is even open over here. I am do for a hair cut.

I have access to some masks. If you want a few I can see about shipping them out to you. You really, REALLY don't want to be walking in the store without one. And I'd were latex gloves as well. I bought 100 on eBay. Etsy may have homemade masks and you can support the woman that make them.

Edit- Yep, Etsy has them and they're right on the home page.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

John connor

Post by John connor »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:11 am

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

What do you call somebody that graduated last in a class of 200
at medical school?

Doctor....

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

It is best to have your own seeds :-) However, with the potatoes on the balcony it's a thing like that - the harvest is extremely sparse for the much work :mrgreen: Cucumbers thrive in masses, much to my son's delight. https://www.forum.my-tastenworld.ch/vie ... 194&t=2266 Too bad that the balcony is so narrow and has too little air supply. And it's on the second floor. Some summers it gets much too hot there! And we also had the pigeon plague. They ruined everything. Besides, the trees around the house have become much too big. They should be gone, because there is not enough sunshine now, but a lot of pests. Because of the Corona crisis they were not cut back this year.
Image There were only two of them :)
----

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

During the Corona pandemic, Lithuania has transformed its international airport in the capital Vilnius into a drive-in cinema. 150 cars at a distance of two meters for a screening of "Parasite" on the runway.

"We offer people a new way of travelling through the cinema on the airport tarmac," said organiser Algirdas Ramaska. He belongs to the Vilnius International Film Festival (IFF). Hundreds of film fans flocked in their cars to the air traffic-free tarmac for a special kind of cinema experience.

The drive-in cinema at Vilnius airport. - AFP

"We've been dreaming about this for a while. But the dream could only come true when aviation practically came to a standstill," said Ramaska. Due to the Corona exit restrictions in Lithuania, flights have been suspended and cinemas closed since mid-March.

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

According to media reports, dozens of bodies have been found in several vans near a funeral parlor in New York. Residents had called the police because of the smell of decomposition from the vans.

The company in the Brooklyn area had rented the vehicles. This was because, in view of the many deaths in the coronavirus pandemic, there was no room for them in their own premises.

Coronavirus deaths may be stored in refrigerated trucks

In addition, the undertaker's refrigerator had broken down, the "New York Times" wrote on Wednesday (local time) citing the police.
ImageMany New York undertakers are reaching their capacity limits due to the corona crisis. (symbol picture) - sda - Keystone/EPA/JUSTIN LANE

The CNN station reported up to 60 corpses in four transporters, ABC reported up to 100 dead. They had been stacked on ice in body bags in the vehicles and were to be cremated.

It is not known how many of them actually died after infection with the coronavirus. In view of the crisis, undertakers are allowed to store the dead in refrigerated trucks.

Coronavirus found in wastewater - drinking water not at risk
Researchers at ETH Zurich have developed a method for detecting coronavirus in wastewater. New infections can thus be detected more quickly.

Coronavirus can be detected in wastewater

The first wastewater samples were analysed from Lugano, Lausanne and Zurich. In the case of Zurich and Lugano also one each from the end of February. This represents the first known cases of infection in Switzerland. In all samples, the researchers succeeded in detecting the new coronavirus.

In the newer samples, the concentrations are so high that analysis seems relatively simple. Not so for the samples from February: "We could not have expected that it would be possible to measure a signal in wastewater from Lugano with only one and from Zurich with only six known cases", EPFL environmental scientist Tamar Kohn is quoted in the report.

Pathogen does not spread via wastewater

According to the current state of knowledge, there is no evidence that the pathogen spread via water or wastewater. Swiss drinking water is of excellent hygienic quality and is suitable for drinking even during a pandemic, according to the report.

The successful detection of low virus concentrations at an early time of the outbreak should make it possible to reconstruct the curve of the Covid-19 increase retrospectively. However, analysis of the more than 300 samples currently stored frozen at Eawag and EPFL may still take some time. It would take weeks before all of them were evaluated.

However, it would be difficult to draw conclusions about the exact number of infected persons. Among other things, the number of viruses excreted per infected person fluctuates too much. However, the course of events is important: Using the samples from Lausanne as an example, the scientists were able to roughly trace the increase in sars-CoV2 viruses in wastewater between March and April: Kohn currently estimates that the concentration has multiplied ten to a hundred times.

Samples have been taken from twelve wastewater treatment plants, nine of which are located in the Ticino, since the first Covid-19 diseases became known. However, the main goal of the project is not to look back, but to establish a system with an early warning function.
Sewage treatment plants should function as an early warning system

With samples from twenty large sewage treatment plants, geographically well distributed throughout Switzerland, it is possible to monitor the wastewater of around 2.5 million people, the ETHs write. There are more than 700 sewage treatment plants in Switzerland, which treat around 1.7 billion cubic metres of wastewater.

According to the Federal Office for the Environment (Bafu), infection with the coronavirus via contact with wastewater is very unlikely, as was stated in mid-April. According to Bafu, infection through skin contact with river and sea water also seems unlikely. This is because corona viruses only survive for a short time in water and are effectively killed in sewage treatment plants.

According to the report, research projects of this scope usually take several years. The group led by Kohn (Laboratory for Environmental Chemistry at the EPFL) and Christoph Ort and Tim Julian of Eawag had shown within a few weeks that the idea could become reality.
https://www.nau.ch/news/forschung/coron ... t-65700662

Our tap water has blue particles in it. You haven't drunk that for a long time! You don't even use it for cooking. (Since we have the descaler in the basement) These paricles do get caught in the sieve. But still it tastes a bit strange and sometimes there are stomach cramps.
Everything should always be safe for humans. But we destroy our world with all these things that make the world better. In the past, the water was more calcareous, people were less ill, but the devices still lived longer than today. It would be better to produce higher quality appliances again. Then we would also have less waste. But of course, there would be less profit for the companies. Consumers would have to pay more for that again. Moreover, one would have to learn to save again for many purchases.
The things that are already being discharged into the sewage system in the household today....Even residues of the often unnecessarily taken medication can be found inside.
Not for nothing one becomes, soon retired still to the extreme allergy sufferer.
I used to buy potatoes and apples for a winter. They were always as if they were fresh. Now I live again in the exact same flat as in the 80s. But after three weeks at the latest everything in the cellar is totally wrecked. Although it was bought directly from the farmer and uncleaned like then. After all, we do not have the same winters as before. This year we only had to shovel some snow for two days. November 1984 I couldn't even go outside with the pram anymore, there was so much snow. Now in November nothing more. The world seems to be beyond saving. The only question is, do we older people have to live through the worst of it? Anyway, it's coming sooner than anyone thought!
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:21 am
During the Corona pandemic, Lithuania has transformed its international airport in the capital Vilnius into a drive-in cinema. 150 cars at a distance of two meters for a screening of "Parasite" on the runway.
Two regular drive ins are still open where I live but they haven't opened for the season yet which is normal. When I was young in the 70's there was many of them and then they all closed by the 80's. The two that reopened were old locations.

“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

In Switzerland there are still some drive-in cinemas. In the drive-in cinema in Pratteln in the two channel sound. I've never been to a drive-in movie theater :) In the drive-in cinema Hinwil commuters can also watch. For all those who don't own a car, a deck chair is provided. So the drive-in cinema is also a bit of a deckchair cinema. Haha. So you don't have to hitchhike. You should visit the drive-in movie theater Muri if you like old cars. Every year, visitors drive up in their most stylish old cars here. This makes the movies almost a minor matter.

Now comes the drinking water shortage. The municipalities of Thurgau and Basel are calling for water conservation because of the long dry season. In the rest of Switzerland the drinking water supply should still be good. One can only hope that it will again raining. The increased hand washing also requires water from the tap. According to the weather forecast it should still be raining in many areas until Sunday. But next week it should be dry and warm again.

John connor

Post by John connor »

We have one here in the next town over and when I lived in Riverside, California there was one. It's where I saw the Abyss, Beetlejuice and the first and BEST! Batman. That Batman is a classic. The rest suck. :lol:

The drive-in movie theater is a thing of the past mostly in the U.S. and to find one is rare. But I wondered to myself a few weeks ago if they may make a come back now. So much for the theater here that just renovated with a bar, reclining seats and all that. My town also had plans to put in an Imax. I think that may be on the back burner now.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Got my seeds today.
Time to get them started... :D
My heavy duty Tomato Cages should be here Saturday.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Seeds are all planted in the starter tray. Thought I would grab a tray at the local lowes. Big mistake. People have to wait in line now to go in. Didnt realize that since everybody was required to go in through the exit side, and theres a guy at the entrance redirecting people.

Told the guy that Lowes could kiss my ass, and left. wasnt going to be forced to stand in line for who knows long with poor stamina when I usually need one of those electric carts. I Picked up the trays at my local Dollar General instead..
The tomato cages came a day early, And were sitting at the front door where anybody could have just grabbed them as they walked by....

18 mobile homes on a "grassy field" where anybody can just walk in any direction...

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

With everybody being stuck at home for the most part, Is anybody getting into SWL / "Foreign" broadcasts ??

I've been slowly collecting parts for a crystal radio.. Instead of doing the typical Broadcast band (BCB), I have been considering setting it up for a portion of the SWL bands...

Probably an appropriate decision, Considering I have been getting parts through E-Bay from multiple countries. (Including China, Taiwan,And Russia).
Russian D18 Diodes, Chinese acrylic coil form, Hong Kong Balun, a tube board & different versions of the tube to try in place of the diodes from Britain, and a couple other countries...etc...etc...

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:00 am
Probably an appropriate decision, Considering I have been getting parts through E-Bay from multiple countries. (Including China, Taiwan,And Russia).
Russian D18 Diodes, Chinese acrylic coil form, Hong Kong Balun, a tube board & different versions of the tube to try in place of the diodes from Britain, and a couple other countries...etc...etc...
Multi-national corona virus delivered to your front door. I'm joking of course but I wouldn't be surprised if that has occurred.

I'm breaking the law tomorrow and going to work. A friend of mine has hardware store I usually work the weekend. Haven't been there since this started but he's been open the entire time, I'm non essential personnel. I'm the "fixer". He actually hit the lottery as far business is concerned. As hardware store he is essential business but he also has major dealership for bicycles,chainsaws and small engine repair. Most of his competition has been closed and this is the best time of the year for those products/services.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”