The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Random American

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Random American »

He certainly shouldn't be president, that's for sure. He is objectively a moron.

If the Democrats were competent, he probably wouldn't be there though.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

Random American wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:11 am
Trump effectively blamed our high number of cases on our ability to test. :roll:
I believe that's because we out test any country right now, thus the high numbers. Makes sense.

david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:20 am
I believe that's because we out test any country right now, thus the high numbers. Makes sense.
But in fairness you do have a higher population than other countries.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and the media neglects to mention those two facts when they are calling Trump a liar about it.

robert

david63

Post by david63 »

But if you look at the number of tests per million of population then the US is way behind many other countries.

US - 32,166
Spain - 52,784
Russia - 43,953
Italy - 46,426
UK - 43,953

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Now comes the nuclear power stations. First Tschernobyl and now this.
There was a problem at the Czech nuclear power plant Temelin near the border with Bavaria during the night of Friday. The first reactor block was automatically shut down, the partly state-owned operator CEZ announced on Friday afternoon.
Even if it should only be a small problem, this year we will not be spared from anything. We've had some pretty big earthquakes.

Corona is far from over. Even if many Swiss believe that. Extremely many Swiss have long claimed that Corona is a completely normal flu. :evil: It remains to be seen what happens here in a few weeks, after somehow some things have been reopened much too early. In any case, the borders would have to be allowed to remain longer. But this is all an economic problem. Economically simply impossible. It is already a big problem.

I hope that my cold was really a light form of Corona, that you are hardened afterwards and that my 71 days in self-isolation were not for the foxes!
It's kind of abnormal that you can't test yourself on suspicion. Risk patients in Switzerland should pay for the test themselves. Only for healthy persons the health insurance pays (But it was definitely not said in a sufficiently understandable way. It may be that the canton covers the costs of the risk patients for the tests).
But in case of mild symptoms one was no longer allowed to go to the doctor's office - had to go into self-isolation. They said that you had to call the emergency number of the hospital if your state of health deteriorated drastically. But if it remains stable and equally bad, no. So you just had to stay at home and logically without being tested. Everything completely illogical and abnormal! Probably one does not even get a doctor's certificate for the 71 days one was allowed to spend sick at home. You couldn't even work, although you have a home office job. If you can hardly speak, are limp and hardly hear anything, it is definitely impossible. Sign language by landline telephone has yet to be invented. :lol:

The main thing is that I can finally go to the dentist. The tooth is driving me crazy, and has been for 50 days. Unfortunately one had to sit on the pain with suspicion of corona.

Random American

Post by Random American »

david63 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:24 pm
But if you look at the number of tests per million of population then the US is way behind many other countries.

US - 32,166
Spain - 52,784
Russia - 43,953
Italy - 46,426
UK - 43,953

Which is pathetic.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VIU9NH6tpI A Word From Our Prime Minister

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

david63 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:24 pm

US - 32,166
Spain - 52,784
Russia - 43,953
Italy - 46,426
UK - 43,953

That might be off. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... y-country/

And you're not looking at total tests actually.

gdbh.jpg

Once again.

John connor wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:20 am
Random American wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:11 am
Trump effectively blamed our high number of cases on our ability to test. :roll:

So when the president says that there is a high number of cases, that's because over 10 million have been tested versus that of other countries. Don't look at the per million, that doesn't say much in terms of real human tests per individual.

Aren't number games fun? :ugeek:

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:20 pm
So when the president says that there is a high number of cases, that's because over 10 million have been tested versus that of other countries. Don't look at the per million, that doesn't say much in terms of real human tests per individual.
So ... there's a new statisticus in the house?

BTW what are "real human tests per individual"? Are you implying the rest of the world is using inhuman tests or unreal test? Or that they're not testing individuals but groups.
Or are you implying that the US tests individuals multiple times? To test the tests? To find out if they're still negative (or positive)? Or just for fun or in order to increase the testcount?

AS I said the USA has the greatest testing, I knew they might be, but perhaps aren't, who knows, but it's great and the results we've had are spectacular, amazing actually, some countries even repeated my tweets proving the phenominal results we've had and said nothing ever like this has been seen before since the first World War and not even since the Second World War. It couldn't have been more prefecter and I've done the bestest job <SET TO REPEAT>.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

John connor wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:20 pm
And you're not looking at total tests actually.
Aren't number games fun? :ugeek:
Correct, we're not looking at total tests, for exactly the reasons that were already stated. "Total tests" is not the meaningful number for "how much as a country achieved in testing thus far."

For example, with USA's "ten million tests executed, more than any other country", with those 10 million tests we now know as much about our 380 million people as Italy knew about their 60 million people back when they had only executed 1.5 million tests. But while the USA is only just now reaching 10 million tests executed, Italy has almost doubled their amount of tests executed since then, and at this point "know twice as much as we do" about what's going on inside their country.

So the USA would have needed to already execute 20 million tests just to keep pace with the same testing coverage Italy had achieved. Now apply that same lens to the more than thirty other countries who also know more about their populations than the USA does when it comes to testing.

Ignoring what the numbers actually mean, and focusing on "which way can I sort this chart so that it shows the USA having the most bigly, best, perfect number", is the only "numbers game" mentioned here so far. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, "Big number, USA perfect" is just a message to lead the crowd that actually doesn't want to understand.

How the data is used is what will ultimately lead to success or failure in trying to shape what happens. But having the data is the first step. The USA is still struggling to get started on having that data. The thing we have which is undeniably "bigger than most every other country" is the challenge presented by the size of our population, and whether we're up to that challenge.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not saying there is anything wrong with your interpretation of those numbers, but, as was said, numbers are fun.
anybody and take the same stats and make them work for whatever the agenda may be. we see that every day in the news and politics all over the world.

robert

bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

How many of those test kits were either fake or defective, and imported from China, Along with all those counterfeit N95 face masks??
Inquiring minds, and all that.....

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:06 pm
not saying there is anything wrong with your interpretation of those numbers, but, as was said, numbers are fun.
anybody and take the same stats and make them work for whatever the agenda may be. we see that every day in the news and politics all over the world.

robert
What is behind the numbers or why that might be is the most important thing.

Firstly how numbers are compiled is important, different counties or different areas of the same country may use different methods. Infant mortality for example, in France live birth is determined by weight. In the US it's determined if the baby takes a single breath. Pregnancies aborted in other countries for health reasons, less likely in the US.

As another example when you have crime stats a small time police force aggressively pursuing more minor crimes can rack up a lot cases, crimes that may just be ignored in larger urban areas because they have bigger fish to fry. Just saw some older teenager walking down the street with six pack, cops came down the road and kept on going. My guess is he/she didn't want to expose themselves to someone else for something trivial, even the corona virus is going to affect crime stats.

Sample size is crucial. A small town of that had no murders for decades years and will not have them for many more decades is one of the most dangerous places you could live for that year.

One of my favorites is comparing one irrelevant number to some other irrelevant number. A few years back Scientific American published an article with a big headline "Coal Ash more Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste". If you to the end of the article there is addendum clarifying they comparing emissions from coal plant to a facility designed to contain nuclear waste. Scientific American is publication meant for the general public so what is relevant information not included? If you look at pie graph of radiation exposure the biggest chunk is medical, radon, cosmic and many other sources. You'll also find a tiny slice <1% labeled "other" that includes exposure from coal plants and nuclear plants.

As far as the corona virus testing my first question is how is the supply affecting testing? What difference is there between countries of who the medical community decides gets tested. How is population density affecting this?

For those testing positive are we double counting them or single counting them. This is really important because it can both the testing rate and the rate for positive tests.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:20 am
How many of those test kits were either fake or defective, and imported from China,
Another important point affecting stats but to be fair here the original test from the CDC was failing too.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”