The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by kinerity »

John connor wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:42 pm
I have lots of Bon Jovi in my Spotify account, but I find myself skipping the tracks when they play because hearing the same songs some 500^10 power all over again gets mighty old. Just like all the Tom Petty I have in my playlist. Been listening to Tom Petty since the 80s and today I probably heard the song 'I won't Back Down' 1,000 times already.
The joy of Spotify. I have roughly 2000 songs in my playlist. When I drive to Illinois (from central/western Maryland), I put it on shuffle and I bet I don't even get ¼ way through it before I get to my destination.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

kinerity wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:44 pm
When I drive to Illinois (from central/western Maryland)
https://www.distancefromto.net/distance ... o-illinois

:) What are you carrying? May I suggest a flight?
If you travel with an airplane (which has average speed of 560 miles) from Maryland to Illinois, It takes 1.23 hours to arrive.
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by kinerity »

I like driving. I'll fly if forced, but given the choice, my car wins hands down. :D
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

kinerity wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:01 am
I like driving. I'll fly if forced, but given the choice, my car wins hands down. :D
With the limits you have in the USA I laugh :lol:
here in Germany you have no limits and I could perhaps understand (not to mention the costs).

What are you carrying? Jewelry? New coronavirus antidote? :ugeek:

I really want to see how much time you spend in a journey that is as long as Italy...

Anyway.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am
I would love to see them increased but where I live when you have open road most are posted at 70MPH (112km/h) with cars typically traveling 80(128km/h) to 90(144km/h). Once you get over 85 you are pushing your luck if it's posted at 70. There are roads posted higher in western states.
I really want to see how much time you spend in a journey that is as long as Italy...
I did a trip from my house to Anniston, Alabama in 11 hours. 867 miles (1395km), That included a few short stops and some pretty heavy congestion in some areas. I was running the risk of getting ticketed.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

A Ferrari LaFerrari at full speed on the German Highway - Above 370 km/h :o
https://it.motor1.com/news/410293/ferra ... ahn-video/

See: https://www.instagram.com/p/B--fbN3p3YB ... gn=loading
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

0-300MPH (488km/h) in one mile (1.6 km) Street legal. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3nH-IYUeU

Anyway we are getting off topic here....
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

thecoalman wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:55 pm
0-300MPH (488km/h) in one mile (1.6 km) Street legal.
Just one legal mile not a regular public highway.
thecoalman wrote:
Not really, the video I posted has been taken in this coronavirus time. :)

Anyway.
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

kinerity wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:44 pm
The joy of Spotify. I have roughly 2000 songs in my playlist. When I drive to Illinois (from central/western Maryland), I put it on shuffle and I bet I don't even get ¼ way through it before I get to my destination.
Yeah, I don't have that many songs per playlist, but I think my biggest playlist is my 80s playlist with some 20 hours of tunes. :lol: I was born in IL. The farthest east I've ever been was Chicago. I'd love to visit the eastern seaboard one day. I would like to live in Florida. But lots of people tell me the humidity is absolutely wretched. I know what humidity is all about in IL.
3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am
here in Germany you have no limits and I could perhaps understand (not to mention the costs).

What are you carrying? Jewelry? New coronavirus antidote? :ugeek:

Anyway.
The thing here in the U.S. is that many people like to drive state to state. Especially during the Summer or if you're retired. You buy an RV and just visit all over the place. There is a wealth of country to see here.

About the speed limit. As far as I'm concerned it's too high as it is. You set a limit at 55 MPH and they go 65 MPH. You set a limit of 65 MPH and they go 80 MPH. Now two important things here. 1) People can't drive for crap and 2) you waste fuel. I was involved in a car accident at 65 MPH and I'm lucky I'm still alive. It was like hitting a brick wall. An instant stop. Now if you're doing 80 MPH and hit someone, kiss your ass goodbye. You're now in a coffin, or at least what's left of you. Besides, I believe the laws in Germany versus that of the U.S. are different as it pertains to driving. I was told by someone who did drive in Germany that the laws were more strict thus I guess people don't drink and drive as much or drive like their nuts. Here in the states you can run someone over and only get about 7 years in prison for vehicular homicide. Drink and drive and it's severe but not as severe as I'd like to see it. I'd suspend their license for life. There's nothing more that pisses me off is when someone who is knowingly drunk thinks they can get in a 2 ton beast and drive. It's the sheer stupidity and arrogance of it all. And then they go on ahead and kill a whole family, often times they are the only party still alive after the MVA and only do a short prison sentence.

thecoalman wrote:
0-300MPH (488km/h) in one mile (1.6 km) Street legal. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3nH-IYUeU

All you need is a blow out and you're !@#$%
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by kinerity »

John connor wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 am
they go on ahead and kill a whole family, often times they are the only party still alive after the MVA
I think I read somewhere is that the reason is because alcohol causes you to "relax". Natural instinct is to tense up before getting in a wreck. Being a Firefighter and EMT I can tell you I've seen too many crashes where drunk drivers killed innocent children because they decided to be dumbasses.
John connor

Post by John connor »

kinerity wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Being a Firefighter and EMT I can tell you I've seen too many crashes where drunk drivers killed innocent children because they decided to be dumbasses.
10-4.

Their sheer lack of consideration and neglect for others while they fully know they're intoxicated should include a life long prison sentence.

Edited for minor spelling mistakes.
Last edited by John connor on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not taking up for drunk driving at all at all.
however, when you are drunk, you are not capable of making the choice properly.
that is why you should be responsible before you get drunk and either don't drink if you have to drive, or,
find someone to drive for you.
or, like I did one year on my birthday;
I walked into the bar I worked in, ordered a drink, slammed it, ordered another, slammed it, threw my keys behind the bar and ordered another.
not sure what happened the rest of that night but I know I did not drive.

luck,
robert
John connor

Post by John connor »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:49 pm
not taking up for drunk driving at all at all.
however, when you are drunk, you are not capable of making the choice properly.
that is why you should be responsible before you get drunk and either don't drink if you have to drive, or,
find someone to drive for you.
or, like I did one year on my birthday;
I walked into the bar I worked in, ordered a drink, slammed it, ordered another, slammed it, threw my keys behind the bar and ordered another.
not sure what happened the rest of that night but I know I did not drive.

luck,
robert

I think this largely depends on the person. And I can tell you with fact that woman have a higher amount of blood than men and so have a higher tolerance to alcohol. Although, if you have been a drinker all your life, then one beer is all it may take to make you intoxicated.

For me when I was in my twenties and drank nothing but hard liqueur, I was never a "drunk" per say. Technically I was, but I wasn't like the typical, drunk were I couldn't talk right and was falling all over the place. And believe me when I tell you my drink of choice was Captain Morgan straight out of the bottle. I'd sit on the patio chairs there listening to my Eiffel 65 CD and sipping away Captain Morgan. Then I started to drink a lot of Jack Daniels. What I'd do is sit there and play Grand Theft Auto Vice City and sip JD all damn day long. What the alcohol would do to me is give me a nice buzz and it made me very talkative as if I can say deep dark secrets, etc and I was really laughable. I guess you can say I was a social drunk. I'd tell really funny jokes and just have great conversations and sometimes say things I normally wouldn't say otherwise because the damn alcohol loosened my lips. But despite that and being a little tipsy, I was never a person who slurred their speech and acted like an a complete idiot or anything like that. Just a happy drunk.

On New Years Eve 2005 I was depressed and I woke up at about 7 PM from a day long siesta which I'm still trying to understand because I was a day person with a job. But I woke up and without eating anything I sat down at my desk and started to drink my fifth of JD. Once I polished that off I hit my fifth of Morgan and at about the time I got half way threw it I started to feel like puking. So my body had enough and I puked my actual guts out and since there was nothing else to puke I was puking stomach bile. I thought perhaps I had alcohol poisoning so I called to my mom as I lied on a cold bathroom floor and to the hospital I went. I was given an IV of crap commonly called a "banana shake" which helped with the nausea and after a while felt pretty good and went home. Next day I showed up for work as if nothing had ever happened only to find out I wasn't even suppose to be there that day. I think it was a Saturday. Needless to say I was never "drunk" and all stupid with my speech and what have you and I NEVER ever got a so-called hangover. My grandfather was like this. He could drink all the damn night and the next day be at work and no hangover, etc. Come home, rinse and repeat. I think he did it because his wife (my grandma) drove him up a wall.

Now today I rarely if ever drink at all. Maybe once in a while at a restaurant I'll order a couple Jack & Cokes and pay the price for it too since I could have bought a fifth for what I spent on two tall doubles. But I see it differently in that I rarely drink anyway and so it's not that big of a factor. I guess I'm lucky in this respect since alcoholism runs on my mom's side of the family and I'm more related to my mom. I mean, a lot of people on my mom's side of the family seemed to always have a problem with the drink. My cousin who was a drunk and so being dependent on alcohol ended up getting cancer of the esophagus. When they found it it was already stage IV. He was 55 when he passed. He was a great person, very street smart and would, as they say, give the shirt off his back for you. He loved to fish and was a fantastic chief and was a chief at a restaurant. Since I was just taken aback by his passing I created a kind of shine for him in the form of a WordPress website. Thinking about this now and writing it makes me tear up. :( He died way too young and we went through a lot together for a brief moment in my life. https://toddexler.com
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:54 am
I think this largely depends on the person. And I can tell you with fact that woman have a higher amount of blood than men and so have a higher tolerance to alcohol.
Please check your facts before writing.
Amount of blood is one of the factors which has an influence on tolerance to alcohol. Body weight and efficiency of the liver are the main factors. Males produce more ADH (alcoholdehydrogenase) than women and alcohol will thus be broken down faster. There are genetic factors to take into account also, and acquired tolerance.
Fact is that women are generally lighter than men, have less body fluids and less lung capacity and tolerancy is definitely lower (on average).

Added: I fail to see the relevance of this "drunk" subject to "the Coronavirus Topic"
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

https://www.fda.gov/media/138945/download
"FDA on June 15, 2020" wrote:Today’s request to revoke is based on new information, including clinical trial data results, that have led BARDA to conclude that this drug may not be effective to treat COVID-19 [Coronavirus Disease 2019] and that the drug’s potential benefits for such use do not outweigh its known and potential risks

Return to “General Discussion”