The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2539
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by John connor »

david63 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:56 am
John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 am
is no more deadly than the aforementioned influenza
Whilst there is some validity in that statement the difference is that there are treatments and vaccines for influenza which go some way towards mitigating the problems. Until such time treatments/vaccines are available for Covid-19 then it remains a serious threat to life.
You really don't listen to your own voice, do you? You said there is validity in what I said, okay. Now take into account there is no cure or treatment as you say. Now look at the fact of this on par to influenza again.

There are things that can be done for the treatment of COVID-19. One of which is hydroxychloroquine which my own sister was given and spared the fate of a ventilator. As were many thousands of people given it. The FDA's assessment is just sure stupidity and an overreaction. And it doesn't surprise me being a government clown agency that wouldn't even approve of possible life saving cancer medications that I have signed petition after petition on for one's right to take it. Thankfully Trump signed into law the Right To Try act which puts all that FDA crap back on their BS bureaucrat desk's.

There are other medications that can be given for the treatment of COVID-19 as well such as antibiotics and prednisone. But I'm not a doctor, so that's a doctor patient decision.

Addendum: While there is a "vaccine" for influenza it doesn't cover all the bases. You could end up with a different strain that the vaccine never covered. In my opinion, and I'm not a doctor, is that a vaccine nullifies the virus threat like polio.

And the threat is not "serious" to most people unless you fulfill certain criteria. And if I was a politician like a governor my orders would be based on those criteria. If your a smoker, morbid obese, dealing with a cancer, are over the age 60, etc, etc, then you are to stay home as long as possible. For the rest, live long a prosper, and do prosper because poverty will kill us all!
User avatar
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Bel ... gium

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 am
While this virus poses a danger to the public, is no more deadly than the aforementioned influenza, albeit just damn more contagious.
Do you have objectively quantified numbers showing that Covid-19 is a) no more deadly that the influenza and b) more contagious. The 1918 Spanish flu killed approximately 50 million people with an estimated 500 million infected but those were different times. Containment measures such as the ones in place currently could have cut those numbers significantly. While I'm not in fact disagreeing with your statement (and I also use the Spanish Flu pandemic as an example), it's difficult to compare what happened 100 years ago to the current situation.
John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 am
The guests did say that the virus was "attenuating" as to suggest that perhaps the virus has mutated in a way so that it can survive but at the present time is now weaker and combine that with heard immunity that seems likely of what is going on.
Mutations always happen, and nature functions in such a way that a virus which is totally lethal for the whole population will eventually eliminate itself. Left alone, nature does a pretty good job of keeping everything in balance. Yes there are mutations and these can be genetically analysed (necessary in order to make a vaccine specific to the strain).
Whether the virus is "attenuating" has NOT been confirmed yet, mutations have been confirmed but there is insufficient data allowing to claim that it is less dangerous. Currently the declining death rate (per capita infected) cannot be attributed to a weakening virus but probably results from an already reduced very susceptible age group, earlier recognition of an infection, and thus earlier and more supportive treatment. Herd immunity seems to be far less than originally thought: a) depending on the region only 3 to 9% of the tested population has antibodies and b) second infections have been confirmed (perhaps a different strain?) so "immunity" is currently still theoretical.
John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 am
...
There are other medications that can be given for the treatment of COVID-19 as well such as antibiotics and prednisone. But I'm not a doctor, so that's a doctor patient decision.
It was clear from word 1 that you're not a doctor, in fact that you don't know the basics about infections. Covid 19 is a virus and an antibiotic (what's in a name) does not work against viruses. The only thing it could be useful for in this case would be to prevent secondary (bacterial) infections.
Prednisone is a steroid and as such can be useful IF the immune system goes haywire - it doesn't act against the virus itself but reduces the body's (adverse) reaction against an infection. BTW the side-effects of prednisone aren't a laughing matter and the situation of the patient has to be evaluated properly when deciding about the use of prednisone.
John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 am
Addendum: While there is a "vaccine" for influenza it doesn't cover all the bases. You could end up with a different strain that the vaccine never covered. In my opinion, and I'm not a doctor, is that a vaccine nullifies the virus threat like polio.
Actually the "vaccine" for influenza, is a range of vaccines as there are many influenza viruses. There are cycles when it comes to the strain of influenza virus at a certain time. Fortunately influenza vaccines have been around for a long time and the production can be switched easily.

edited corrected Heard immunity to Herd immunity
Last edited by warmweer on Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2539
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by John connor »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am
Do you have objectively quantified numbers showing that Covid-19 is a) no more deadly that the influenza and b) more contagious.
I said that COVID-19 was more contagious, not influenza.

Stats:
Illnesses range from mild to severe and even death. Hospitalization and death occur mainly among high risk groups. Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 respiratory deaths.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... (seasonal)


As to the rest you're post you're just adding emphasis to what I already wrote and trying to school me. So you're just wasting your time.
User avatar
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Bel ... gium

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 am
While this virus poses a danger to the public, is no more deadly than the aforementioned influenza, albeit just damn more contagious.
John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm
warmweer wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am
Do you have objectively quantified numbers showing that Covid-19 is a) no more deadly that the influenza and b) more contagious.
I said that COVID-19 was more contagious, not influenza.

Stats:
Illnesses range from mild to severe and even death. Hospitalization and death occur mainly among high risk groups. Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 respiratory deaths.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... (seasonal)
Read properly, you're trying to point out an error in my response ... and there's no error: I asked for objectively quantified data as confirmation that what you stated is correct: namely that Covid-19 is NOT more deadly than the influenza, but more contagious. Perhaps my sentence was too complicated for you?

As to the data: influenza data has been collected for 50 years and more and confirmed so no problem with that. Covid-19 on the other hand is new and the data collection has just started so a comparison, while interesting, isn't that simple, specifically especially because there's not even half a year's data.
Whether it's more contagious is difficult to assess for the same reason plus complicating factors such as lack of knowledge about asymptomatic carriers (depending on the region 3 up to 9% of the population has antibodies, implying that many infections passed unnoticed - having said this - I don't have a clue how the group tested for antibodies was selected, nor the size of the group).
With the current data available the statisticians could try to make some projections but it remains more or less hypothetical.
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 15704
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by 3Di »

https://www.quotidiano.net/esteri/vaccino-coronavirus-cina-1.5272638 wrote:Coronavirus, there's the first vaccine. It's Chinese and for military use

The CanSino Biologics company in Hong Kong, which produces it, says it cannot guarantee that it will be marketed.
P.s.: that's an italian press agency, translate it yourself.

Besides the damage the mockery. :evil: :shock:
User avatar
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Bel ... gium

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 pm
https://www.quotidiano.net/esteri/vaccino-coronavirus-cina-1.5272638 wrote:Coronavirus, there's the first vaccine. It's Chinese and for military use

The CanSino Biologics company in Hong Kong, which produces it, says it cannot guarantee that it will be marketed.
It's promising news and even unexpected in the sense that the method the Chinese are using (inactivated complete virus material) is actually more time-consuming than the European and US methods (those that I know of). I knew phase 1 trials were in progress but I've just read that there have been phase 2 trials conducted and Brasil is likely to be the phase 3 testing ground.

This news is probably going to fuel some extra fingerpointing at China (by YouKnowWho). Especially since that kind of vaccine cannot be produced in sufficient high quantities fast enuogh to have global vaccination available within a couple of months.

I'm certainly not going to start rejoicing as yet and will spend most of tomorrow trying to get some "unpressified" data.
User avatar
axe70
Registered User
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:55 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by axe70 »

Masks are for stupids. How you think a mask protect you by something that can't be seen into a microscope?
Distance save you. And common hygienic rules, that your mom should had have teach to you when baby.

Vaccine against coronavirus is for stupids, since coronavirus is like the aids mutant virus.
It is stupid follow the virus, you'll never will have a vaccine.

Do not be a stupid. Do not contribute to the next ecological disaster.
Do not sell your freedom, in change of health security, that nobody can give u.

WHO = CRIMINALS
STOP GLOBALIZATION NOW
Last edited by axe70 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 70009
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by KevC »

That whole post can be answered by saying ..... because you have no idea whatsoever how science, medicine and epidemiology works.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
User avatar
axe70
Registered User
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:55 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by axe70 »

KevC wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 am
That whole post can be answered by saying ..... because you have no idea whatsoever how science, medicine and epidemiology works.
It remain the mental sanity. The world and nature works the same since the begin of the time. While people increase their stupidity, day by day.
User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 70009
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by KevC »

You couldn't be more wrong in the comments in your first post (except the hand washing one).
If you doubt that I know that, tomorrow I'm in the lab doing an experiment with covid-19.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
User avatar
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 4821
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Bel ... gium

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

axe70 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 am
Vaccine against coronavirus is for stupids, since coronavirus is like the aids mutant virus.
It is stupid follow the virus, you'll never will have a vaccine.
That's a bit (very) shortsighted.
The AIDS virus belongs to a completely different group than the coronavirus.
The peculiarity with the HIV is that the replication cycle is very short (less than 24h), in other words, it replicates very fast, AND the replication is prone to errors. On top of that HIV attacks the immune system. Vaccines (also our immune system) need something stable to recognise.
Yes, coronavirus also mutates (as do the flu viruses) but it's a lot more stable than HIV and just as with the flu it is possible to make a generic vaccine which can (probably) be adapted each year (the flu vaccines are slightly different each year anyway).

There will be a vaccine, I have no doubt about that, and seeing current progress it might even be available ahead of expectations (although I wouldn't bet on that just yet).
User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by thecoalman »

axe70 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 am
Masks are for stupids. How you think a mask protect you by something that can't be seen into a microscope?
Assuming you are not using n95 or better It's not intended to protect you, it's to protect others if you are infected. When you breathe out there is a plume of water vapor that can extend 2 or 3 feet, even further if you cough. This is one way it travels from one person to the next. The mask helps isolate that plume helping to prevent the virus from spreading to someone else. It's certainly not 100% but better than nothing.

If you are using n95 or better it can trap the water vapor when you breathe in....
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
User avatar
axe70
Registered User
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:55 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by axe70 »

Assuming you are not using n95 or better It's not intended to protect you, it's to protect others if you are infected. When you breathe out there is a plume of water vapor that can extend 2 or 3 feet, even further if you cough. This is one way it travels from one person to the next. The mask helps isolate that plume helping to prevent the virus from spreading to someone else. It's certainly not 100% but better than nothing.
Yes please, go to take some sun on the seashore with your mask. May it is intended to protect others if you spit. I assume you are not spitting to people when you walk on the street. Inside a lift? Maybe, i prefer to do not enter into a lift if there are people and i can't stay at 1mt or due to vicious air inside. Stop. I do not touch my face if my hands aren't very clean. Stop. I'm safe, you are not if you do not behave like this, despite the stupid and not useful mask.
The AIDS virus belongs to a completely different group than the coronavirus.
the aids behavior is exactly the same, even if it is another virus. In fact, there are not vaccine for aids. It is also true that at this date, aids killed more people then the coronavirus:
Year 2020
841,001Deaths caused by HIV/AIDS
514,901 by coronavirus
So what? Where and what is the real pandemic? I know it's name, it is WHO and maybe, all other countries, like china, that are financing this criminal organization.
There will be a vaccine, I have no doubt about that, and seeing current progress it might even be available ahead of expectations (although I wouldn't bet on that just yet).
Yes Yes, but it will be for you. Please leave me do whatever i like for my health, my grandma teach is sufficient to me. Look that also, virologists are not wearing masks normally, if not inside a laboratory. They keep distance and clean their hands. Because as said, this is it what you have to do since the first day in this stupid world.
Selon lui, trouver un vaccin pour vaincre ce virus est un « un défi idiot ».
https://fr.theepochtimes.com/coronaviru ... 53207.html
Many italian's virologists say the same and many other all around the world. Of course, not these stupids of the WHO that are ll around the world in the mediastream. They are here to change your life. Remember this, not to save you.

Any pulmonologist knows that heparin should be administered to those suffering from pneumonia, and betamethasone. Why did they not give these things to coronavirus patients, causing them to die after they were very serious and took them to the hospital. You know the answer to this?
They burned deaths in Italy, you know this? Without an autopsy. You think it is normal, ok, follow to think what you like. It seem to me we are on hands of criminals that thinks we are stupids and may the have reason of this.
So, seem that once the coronavirus has been beat, we'll be immortals? ahaha, please, cut off by the count of coronavirus deaths, all deaths that was not by coronavirus, but which credit has been given to coronavirus, and people that normally die every day, You know how much is the difference between deaths in USA on 2019 and 2020 same period? Or Italy? Facts please.
You couldn't be more wrong in the comments in your first post (except the hand washing one).
If you doubt that I know that, tomorrow I'm in the lab doing an experiment with covid-19.
it is true that you can't even see a virus into microscope? It is true or not?

Finally please, talk to me about Hong Kong situation. And all what china is doing around the world. And what about killy billy? What he want's by vaccines? why so interested? He want to save the overpopulated world from what? Be serious please.
User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by thecoalman »

axe70 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm
May it is intended to protect others if you spit. I assume you are not spitting to people when you walk on the street.
Technically everyone is spitting on everyone else because that is component of the water vapor you exhale. Ever smell smoke or someone vaping? You are inhaling their spit and other bodily fluids in the form of water vapor.

Look at it this way, you suggested above to keep a distance so you agree distance is a factor. The mask simply helps lessen the distance required because exhalations do not travel as far in the air. You are in fact agreeing with the use of the mask but just don't realize it.

Masks are not going to prevent all cases of it spreading through exhalation but it will help mitigate it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
User avatar
EA117
Registered User
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:23 am
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by EA117 »

axe70 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm
May it is intended to protect others if you spit. I assume you are not spitting to people when you walk on the street.
A demonstration which comes to mind is this lab manager's test that he documented and posted publicly. He's not "testing for the virus" specifically, since he needs to demonstrate with something that will grow and be visible in the agar. But it is a demonstration of how much "stuff" expels even when you're just talking; not "overtly spitting on people."

The virus is taking a ride outside your body in these same droplets that carried out the bacteria which grew in these tests.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”