The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by thecoalman »

Enough of the personal stuff, back to the topic please.

Thanks.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 15860
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by 3Di »

I do not understand how one can afford to make small spelling mistakes in a translation made by a non-native speaker volunteer in order to mock him and take personal advantage of it. At least I'm offering articles written in English this time, let's see.
Edit: typos, lol.
User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by thecoalman »

What I think 3DI is when debating a topic, make you points, offer counterpoints. If someone wants to engage in being the grammar cop, is posting one liners in a complicated topic, thinks that posting links is debating, is explaining how smart they are, etc etc. .... stick to your principals and let them carry on. The fastest way to shut down someone's argument is by attacking ideas, generally speaking once the personal attacks begin that is when they have lost the argument and they know it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 15860
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by 3Di »

Thanks.

Yes I know, it's that it's not only personal but it reflects a person's behaviour towards anyone, if we read (as I did from the beginning) the whole topic is easy to realize, it's a consolidated habit of one.

I wonder and say if this topic is a blog or a free democratic discussion that should be undertaken in a free and correct way, this also applies to the other topic concerning DT, it seems to be turning in the wrong direction.

What is the point of all this?
Besides, do they make fun of me if I lose a few grammatical steps? But I learned English by myself!
He should just admire my efforts in getting everyone to understand me.
I'm really struggling to avoid discussions, but this round seems to me to be really too much.

A person exposes the facts and then they are discussed, I agree, but then there are limits that can't be crossed, especially when you are talking to people who don't belong to your country and have different ideas, here comes the whole mechanism of a controversial but always friendly conversation or debate.

If the opinions of one must always be predominant over the others then it's no longer a Forum (in the Latin sense of the word) but a Blog, you say yours and the others are the fools whatever they have to say.

Edit: I hope I haven't made any major mistakes in my writing, I write on the fly. Just in case, please tell me I can explain.
Random American
Registered User
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:45 am
Location: USA

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Random American »

3Di wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am
Random American wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:08 pm
I'll respond to the rest of your post later...
Please don't. It'd be a disgrace to have to read another compilation of nonsense in response to yours. TIA. :)
Ok, I won't, though I feel like I'm chickening out of a debate.
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 15860
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by 3Di »

Random American wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:51 pm
3Di wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am
Random American wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:08 pm
I'll respond to the rest of your post later...
Please don't. It'd be a disgrace to have to read another compilation of nonsense in response to yours. TIA. :)
Ok, I won't, though I feel like I'm chickening out of a debate.
Oh well, please do then. Sorry.
User avatar
pearlchan
Registered User
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Name: Pearl Chan
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by pearlchan »

When I tried to write about political issues I was unceremoniously shut-down.
What changed?
User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by thecoalman »

pearlchan wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:49 pm
When I tried to write about political issues I was unceremoniously shut-down.
What changed?
If I recall correctly you were injecting politics into your phpBB support topics. phpBB Support topics are for phpBB support, granted some topics related to phpBB may stray into politics like GDPR for example but anything beyond that does not belong in a support topic.

This is the general forum for non phpBB related discussions that includes practically anything within reason. There is currently no ban on political discussion here. Keep it civil, stay on topic and it will stay that way.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by John connor »

And last but not least, once you can speak 7 languages, understand them and write them at least at my level
And the below post means what exactly? You know English, huh?

And the NYTimes is a left-wing shill newspaper.




3Di wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:55 pm
Why Can’t Trump’s America Be Like Italy?

Inside Trump’s Failure: The Rush to Abandon Leadership Role on the Virus

I'm not translating for you this time, so if you find any spelling mistakes, go to the sources and do not blame me. :lol:

Of course you're free to express your opinion, but try to be realistic, please avoid if possible posts like ramblings or rants or whatever it looks like a your own blog post, let's try to be concise and objective within the limits of each one of us. Do a favour to yourself this time, it's free. Besides, who cares about your virtual life resume, have you ever wondered? I'm telling you, nobody. It's what you write that counts and you can't erase it from public records, you can change avatars but it's not that easy to change your life.

And last but not least, once you can speak 7 languages, understand them and write them at least at my level give me a signal.
All by myself, without the help of specific schools. And while I've been raising a family of my own. And... proud of it. ;)

Regards.
User avatar
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 4915
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Bel ... gium

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:10 am
And the NYTimes is a left-wing shill newspaper.
And the "left-wing ..." seems to be your favourite argument against an opinion which doesn't correspond to yours, although lately "the imperfect English" reproach has become your straw-clutching resort (apologies offered if the hyphen in straw-clutching is unnecessary, superfluous or outright incorrect).
User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by John connor »

warmweer wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 pm
And the "left-wing ..." seems to be your favourite argument against an opinion which doesn't correspond to yours...
That's because it often never is. And when someone uses it as some kind of fact you know right away their own angle and perspective, never mind my own.

In the U.S. it is well known that the NYTimes or the Washington Post, etc are all left-wing media platforms and so being they have a very different viewpoint. This viewpoint is usually from the nonsensical side of things. In a recent example, a FoxNews host had to move to a new house because the left-wing mob was at his front door and on his property. Not only did they spray paint crap on his driveway, but this host's wife had to hide in the house least someone break in. Now that he found a new house, the left-wing NYTimes straight up posted his new address to the world. There's simply no reason for that other than the fact the NYTimes doesn't like this host's commentary. So much for freedom of speech. If you don't bend to their (left-wing) viewpoints then you are ousted like what a Nazi dictatorship would do.

The Washington Post, or the Washington Compost in Conservative circles, is owned by Jeff Bezos. The multi billionaire of Amazon that runs ant farms of Amazon warehouses. He will in fact be the world's first trillionare in six years.
User avatar
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 4915
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Bel ... gium

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am
So much for freedom of speech.
I don't know the rules and regulations in the US, but it sounds to me as that there's something wrong with the privacy laws, rather than with freedom of speech (which should be limited by said privacy laws).
User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 67986
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well, technically, the first ammendment states:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
which really only covers what the congress can not do in this respect.
it has nothing to do with what other people or governments can or can not do in this respect.

the point above was not that the man's privacy was violated but that no person should even
consider going to their home and vandalizing the man's propery and intimidating the family etc.
that is what is against the law and just morally wrong to start with.
I believe the point was also, how did we get to this point in our society?


robert
User avatar
EA117
Registered User
Posts: 1765
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:23 am
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by EA117 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:12 pm
it has nothing to do with what other people or governments can or can not do in this respect.
After the due process clause was added (fourteenth amendment), it does control what "other governments" would be able to do. Try and legislate something that impinges on free speech at any level of government, and it will be challenged as unconstitutional. Congress can't do it from the top-down, states can't do it from the bottom-up; if necessary the supreme court decides in either case whether it's being attempted.

Agreed on the misconception that "free speech" means without ramifications from other people and businesses. It's about government suppression of rights; and not that you won't be fired for those stupid racist things you said on Twitter. Nor that an angry mob with pitchforks won't chase you out of town if you kept advocating a stupid idea that intends to harm them or others.
User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 67986
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I agree. some cases have come up to the sc that they have found for restricting free speech. personally I believe the constitution should be interpreted literally.

it says that congress can not create a law prohibiting someone's right to free speect.

to me, that means that it only appliles to congress not to the local town sheriff or whatever.
don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that anyone's right to speek their minds should be restricted without good cause.
all I am talking about what the 1st ammendment is about.

just like the 2nd ammendment, it should be interpreted as written. the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.


robert
Locked

Return to “General Discussion”