Website page loading speed

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
erelash_mf
Name: ERA

Website page loading speed

Post by erelash_mf »

Hello.

My forum website's page loading speed is decreased due to increased data. But that speed is no problem on a web browser by mobile device.

Due to this host or phpbb?

Please check my site

www.mfc.mn

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Website page loading speed

Post by Mick »

Has anything changed in your phpBB installation or server set up that could cause this to your knowledge? Is the increased traffic good traffic or bad traffic?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

What I would do is start wit the Dev tools in your web browser and load the index and check to see what has the highest load under network. That weather extension could be the source or some other extension.

Do you see a lot of GET requests in your access logs? I mean, like layer 7 DDoS stuff? I don't think you're under a layer 7 DDoS, but if you're being scraped, etc then that could slow you down.

Or it's your host.

That's a nice theme by the way.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I suggest you do some benchmarking and analyse waterfall charts using tools like webpagetest.org, tools.pingdom.com and gtmetrix.com.

What that shows is that your host's network connection speed is horribly slow - around 800ms when this should be virtually instaneous. The actual phpBB speed is average but not horrible - around 800ms. Ideally this should be under 200ms but anything up to 600ms is probably OK depending on where your server is compared to the audience's location.

But the main reason for the slow page load is the javascript associated with the weather widget and TV guide. The library.js file for the menslifemn api is a particular culprit.

2 things you could do right now to speed things up are:
- use Gzip compression on the JS and CSS static files hosted on your server
- set caching on those files as well as your other static content files. Currently those files have no expiry set and are being served every page load.

erelash_mf

Post by erelash_mf »

Thanks for the advice Thank you guys!

This was greatly influenced by the TV guide widget.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

You should have the javascript load asynchronously using the async flag. Currently it looks like you have all the javascript loaded and executed as read which will hold up the visible parts of the page being loaded.

erelash_mf

Post by erelash_mf »

The first click is a slow load (approximately, varying 1-8 seconds) and clicks again finish loading. If always double-clicking is not a problem. what is this?

Return to “General Discussion”