Made it to Tier 4...

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Made it to Tier 4...

Post by bubbathegimp »

What a Long strange trip it's been..(My Apologies to the Grateful Dead)
(I'm an "OLD Fart", get off my lawn)..

I ran into a snag trying to add features to my site in order to further develop it.
As it says in the title, I made it all the way up to Tier 4, where I was told NO..

It all started with not being able to import a CSV file into MySql. (MySql file import worked fine).

I was offered "Restore Service" for $25 to restore Data that DIDN'T Exist, because I was unable get it to import it to begin with. I can import it into Excel on my own computer, and manipulate it etc no problem.

A friend of mine works for a rather large company in I.T. gave me a proven script to use to automate everything (And make life So Much Easier)

I Thought GREAT!! This is JUST what I need...
So, I installed the script...Couldn't complete. Come to find out that they don't have Unzip available as part of the shared package...

Took a look at what was installed, and they have Archive::Zip installed for use.
Couldn't get the script to work with it..(Hey, I'm not a programmer after all), So I tried to install a different package available in their Perl Module installer..

Every time I went to install a package to try out to see if I could adapt the script to it, I got an Installation Error, Either a compiler error or something else.

Anyhow, I contacted support again, and made it all the way up to Tier 4, where I was finally told No, I couldn't use the script because they were not about to let it have the access it needed to run....

I am completely turned off by my Hosting provider at this point. At the moment I am seriously considering A2, which assured me that I should be able to run the script on their servers. I was considering Bluehost, Till I read that their unlimited storage actually was limited...

So in a few months at the end of my contract, I will be moving my site off Hostgator.
(Still haven't made up my mind on the final Destination..
Last edited by bubbathegimp on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Made it to Tier 4...

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and what exactly are you talking about?

what script? what features to what site?

are you talking about a phpbb board?

if you had a problem with unzipping on the server then unzip on our computer first and then upload the files.
from what I have seen over the years, unzipping things on the server doesn't always work properly and you wind up with corrupt files or incorrect directory structures or both.

robert

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Yes it was for my phpBB site, but not the phpBB database. It's for a "Feature I wanted to add to my board that would have it's own separate database, But probably added in as a custom module for Board 3

Yes, I can unzip it on my home computer, BUT Even though the host can import MySql files, importing from CSV fails when trying to import to the host database.
so That is not currently an option.

I was offered restore service for $25 to restore data from a week old backup to restore data that didn't exist on their server. It wont import after unzipping it on my computer. already tried that.

The Script downloads publicly available data files in Zip format from the Government. Process them, creates the proper tables, then creates the Database if necessary, then imports or updates the data into the MySql Database..

All I would have needed to do after that was to add a module to Board 3 so that people could enter the query to view the information
Last edited by bubbathegimp on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

You're making a massive mistake considering Blue host or even Host Gator. Do yourself a favor and create an account at Webhostingtalk and ask around for a good shared hosting provider. The fact you couldn't even use CIDRAM and Ninjafirewall tells me all I need to know about your current host. And Blue Host and Host Gator won't be any better, I'll assure you of that.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Also, they charge you for a backup?! The hell is that?! My host backs up my site once every 24 hours and I can restore it if I want in cPanel for free. Also, I do periodic one week clones. Both the database and FTP files are stored on Blueray Re, DVD/RW and several other mediums.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

I am currently on Hostgator. My contract is paid up till late August.
I don't use CIDRAM, but I do have Ninja Firewall installed protecting the Public Html folder.

I ruled out Bluehost after realizing that their unlimited storage claim was a bit misleading. Spent a good hour chatting with a sales rep @ A2, and they seem like a good candidate.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you think about it there isn’t enough silicon (or germanium) in the world for unlimited storage.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

host gator used to be a good company. however, a few years ago they were bought up by a much larger company
( I don't remember the name ) and their rep has gone downhill ever since.

I think bluehost is owned by that same company but I am not sure.

robert

John connor

Post by John connor »

I'd go to Webhostingtalk and do your research on A2. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. It's like buying a piece of computer hardware. Do your research on that and then some. A sales rep can blow smoke and are in the business of selling a product. Not saying A2 isn't good, but I'd do research and confirm what they are saying, etc.

I pay monthly myself. Don't want to get locked into a yearly contract and have to come up with over $100 a year. I pay $8/month for a service that allows four domains. They have other service packages that are in fact cheaper and allow unlimited domains, but it's a yearly fee and I'm not entering that kind of contract.

It's just like Protonvpn. They don't offer a quarterly payment plan, only a yearly payment plan which is some $100 a year. No freaking way!

Now granted a yearly account would be cheaper, but I just can't come up with the massive cash at the end of the year unless I get yet another savings account just for the host.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am
host gator used to be a good company...

-snip-

I think bluehost is owned by that same company but I am not sure.

robert
Well that makes sense then.

Mick wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 am
If you think about it there isn’t enough silicon (or germanium) in the world for unlimited storage.
:D Perhaps we'll use another medium by the time that happens.
Last edited by John connor on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 am
their unlimited storage actually was limited
You will probably finf somewhere in the small print of any host that offers "unlimited" storage that there is a limit - quite often with the number of files, not the size of files.

John connor

Post by John connor »

Yeah, my host and what I pay for straight up says 10GB. Which I'm fine with right now. Only using maybe 2 GB if that for four domains.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Mick wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 am
I understand that, But if the site finally takes off, I can always upgrade my level of service...
At the moment I only have a few regular users. I have added a couple download directories.
One for files about making your own Crystal Radio sets, The other for files related to old Boatancher (Tube) Radios, to allow people to try to repair them.

The Database would allow people to look up the Call Sign of Amateur Radio Operators.
If the board catches on, Later I might consider allowing people to link their Amateur Radio software to the Database (Hopefully for Free) to look up fellow operators while they are on the air.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Anybody else think it's kinda odd for a Web host to block the use of such a standard part of Linux as Zip/UnZip?

From what I understand, It's included in just about every Linux Distro on the planet, and is usually included automatically during the installation.... :?:

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am
Anybody else think it's kinda odd for a Web host to block the use of such a standard part of Linux as Zip/UnZip?
I think it depends on how the server is set up. The thing that hosts do not like is users running scripts at a low (root) lever that could destroy the server, so if you were to unzip something to root and it was executable that is where there could be a problem.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Anybody else think it's kinda odd for a Web host to block the use of such a standard part of Linux
Not really, I’d rather hosts didn’t encourage users to unzip on the server talking phpBB wise. All desktop OS’s ship with some form of zip/unzip and has done for years, almost as long as copy/paste was invented - well, not really but a long time.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

david63 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am
bubbathegimp wrote:
I think it depends on how the server is set up. The thing that hosts do not like is users running scripts at a low (root) lever that could destroy the server, so if you were to unzip something to root and it was executable that is where there could be a problem.
But,but,but...Since I am on a shared server in my own isolated part of the world, (AKA "In Jail") Wouldnt it be difficult if not impossible to unzip something to the servers main root?

wouldn't the uziipped product be isolated to my slice of the pie?

I thought that was supposed to be one of the big advantages of Linix, the inability of hackers etc to be able to insert something nasty & execute it...

Return to “General Discussion”