What is the best host for phpbb forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
incredibleasia

What is the best host for phpbb forum?

Post by incredibleasia »

I recently moved my forum to fastcomet hosting, everything is fine but there is a big problem with different limits. I would like to ask which host would you recommend for the forum? Would be very grateful for your replies.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: What is the best host for phpbb forum?

Post by KevC »

We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Self-Hosting......

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

The one that you find through research and review reading at webhostingtalk, etc. Ask the host questions and read their terms of service. All of it!

But I can tell you three and a possible you should stay away from. HostGator, Bluehost and possibly GoDaddy.

Depending on the size of your board, you could get a shared hosting account for as little as $5/month or a VPS for as little as $20-$25/month. Paying anymore and you're getting ripped off.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Everyone has good and bad experiences with every host. I have a site with one of the ones you mention. It's been running just fine for 16 years.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

KevC wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:08 am
Everyone has good and bad experiences with every host. I have a site with one of the ones you mention. It's been running just fine for 16 years.
Curious - how does pricing versus traffic come out with these type of hosts. I assume, the more traffic and larger a board is - the higher the hosting cost. Is the ratio consistent with these type of hosts or does it vary?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as far as I know the only thing that really makes a difference to the host is bandwidth usage.
most shared hosting accounts nowdays have plenty of disk space allocated for anything but boards with unusually large number of files etc. there does seem to be some hosts that are being stingy with number of databases allowed but I have not personally run across them. I usually use the cheapest host I can find. I rarely need support, I have no sites currently that are very busy. however, I do use a lot of databases so having a limit on the number of databases as opposed to the total space they use I find to be stupid.

anyway, just a couple of my cents.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

John connor

Post by John connor »

I've messed with three hosts now and the only thing I see with them was that the database size was limited to just under 10 GB. Perfectly fine for me since I'll probably never reach that anytime soon and in the future. If I do I could just buy a higher tiered hosting or VPS or just offload the database to AWS which I did try once, but my server instance was really slow and it slowed the forum down. :lol:

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Depending on the size of your board, you could get a shared hosting account for as little as $5/month or a VPS for as little as $20-$25/month. Paying anymore and you're getting ripped off.
I have a board that runs perfect on on a host account for less than 1$/month
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:21 am
I have a board that runs perfect on on a host account for less than 1$/month
is it a test site :lol:

sakm

Post by sakm »

John connor wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:21 am
a VPS for as little as $20-$25/month. Paying anymore and you're getting ripped off.
I have struggled to find a managed VPS for that sort of price especially with the price increase of cPanel

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

is it a test site
No a board with 3000members and 152000 posts.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

John connor

Post by John connor »

sakm wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:14 pm
John connor wrote:
a VPS for as little as $20-$25/month. Paying anymore and you're getting ripped off.
I have struggled to find a managed VPS for that sort of price especially with the price increase of cPanel
$22.50 for 2 GB of RAM, cPanel Admin Cloud, 40 GB HDD space and 2 TB bandwidth. https://www.hawkhost.com/vps-hosting

sakm

Post by sakm »

John connor wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:59 pm
sakm wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:14 pm
John connor wrote:
$22.50 for 2 GB of RAM, cPanel Admin Cloud, 40 GB HDD space and 2 TB bandwidth. https://www.hawkhost.com/vps-hosting
Not bad prices :)

Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

We've been using Namecheap VPS for years. Cheapest and decent support and give you oodles of bandwidth and performance for the price. You do get a lazy support person once in a while but they always do their best to help or escalate the matter if there is one.

Try them out.
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 41,500

Return to “General Discussion”