Ever Been Cyberstalked?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Ever Been Cyberstalked?

Post by bubbathegimp »

Ever have some A(Censored)e send you anonymous E-Mails with derogatory comments on your posting habits, make assumptions about your overall lack of social inclusion, and provide links to your posts on other boards to the point that you start deleting your account and posts if allowed??..
Last edited by bubbathegimp on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: Ever Been Cyberstalked?

Post by John connor »

If this is coming from you board's email, then you need two extensions. Contact Admin here and sortables captcha here. Read this

It sounds like you shared your email address on the Internet for all to see and thus now Google has it and can be found using a Google search. Thus you are now cyber stalked.

There was recently a guy that made a post to a forum I'm a member of and he not only posted his email address but his name. With his name I was able to find his home address, city, age, and a lot of other things. His email had quite the history on the Internet on port sites. :lol:

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Step 1 is not to reply to them so they have no idea if you've received them or not and if they even went to your inbox instead of junk.
Block the address.
Job done.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

John connor

Post by John connor »

That can work unless you parse HTML and images in the email. If you parse HTML and images that can be a tall tell sign the email was read and now they have your IP.

I never parse HTML and images on emails unless I need them and trust the email recipient. This is especially important if you use PGP as there's a flaw that can expose your private key with malware laced HTML content.

Also, parsing images can lead to being IDed by a canary token.

Random American

Post by Random American »

No not yet. I'm very hesitant to put my name or email on the public internet.

Random American

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:08 am
Ever have some A(Censored)e send you anonymous E-Mails with derogatory comments on your posting habits, make assumptions about your overall lack of social inclusion, and provide links to your posts on other boards to the point that you start deleting your account and posts if allowed??..
No need to censor that. People who stalk in this manor are assholes!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Random American wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 pm
No not yet. I'm very hesitant to put my name or email on the public internet.
your name and email are probably already on the net . anyway, what I do is create however many email addresses I need on my hosting account server. then, I save my personal email for family and trusted friends.
I have one email that is junk@mydomain.com that way when I am tired of getting junk at that email address I simply delete it and the hosting server sends it to the black hole etc.

I can then create a new email like stuff@mydomain.com etc. etc.

robert

Random American

Thanks Robert.

excerpt

Post by excerpt »

John connor wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm
This is especially important if you use PGP as there's a flaw that can expose your private key with malware laced HTML content.
Huh. TIL

Edit: I never parse anything or load images anyway. But very interesting, never knew that. :o

John connor

Post by John connor »

excerpt wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 pm
John connor wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm
This is especially important if you use PGP as there's a flaw that can expose your private key with malware laced HTML content.
Huh. TIL

Edit: I never parse anything or load images anyway. But very interesting, never knew that. :o
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... _a_ne.html

I don't recommend his texting/chat Apps though. Stay far away from BS Whatsapp. Check out Threema or Wire.

excerpt

Post by excerpt »

Yeah, big fan of Signal and Threema. I overall like Signal a lot better, I just hate that it uses phone# for user ID.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:08 am
Not after many years, but I can't wait.

John connor

Post by John connor »

excerpt wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:41 am
Yeah, big fan of Signal and Threema. I overall like Signal a lot better, I just hate that it uses phone# for user ID.
Threema doesn't require a phone number. It's only $3 bucks. Read about them and decide for yourself.

Nothing is 100% full proof unless you roll your own platform. It's one reason why I have a Team Speak server with encryption on for end to end encryption via P2P. The encryption is a form of AES what ever that means. Team Speak has an App.

Return to “General Discussion”