the newest CPU with cTDP feature in latest AMD and Intel processors - to build a fanless server

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
apollodriver

the newest CPU with cTDP feature in latest AMD and Intel processors - to build a fanless server

Post by apollodriver »

dear community

i am very very glad to be here in this great commuity - i really like phpBB - is great and this communit is much much more than expected : i really like the ideas & knowldge-sharing in this forum here.

all things phpbb are solved so far. And today i have a special question . one that may find some here that can also share ideas and experience. so i pot it in the hope that no admin or mod just thinks . wow - another off topic - lets erase it..

at th moment i look for the newest CPU with cTDP feature in latest AMD and Intel processors - to build a fanless server

[Build Help] Building a fanless/passively cooled web server

Hello, I am looking for some guidance on this build!

I am looking to replace older server HW:

what I currently have running a server with a robust, full-featured option that can utilize faster data transfers on my local network, such as file and media sharing, while still allowing remote HTTP and FTP access (HTTP meaning that I will be hosting a website).

I am not gaming or anything with it, so graphics are unimportant to me for this build. If at all possible, I would like the build to be both small and energy efficient (I'm thinking something like a 35w TDP CPU, such as the i5-6600T) or - if there is a newer one then i would love to take a newer one
so that I can leave it running 24/7 without worrying about the electric bill or noise.

In terms of budget, I am willing to spend around $1000. I already own plenty of storage drives, and I have a spare 250GB SSD

Currently, all i want to know which cpu i shoud take into consideration - any and all advices will be appreciated.

cTDP feature in latest AMD and Intel processors
https://x86x64hardwarereviews.wordpress ... rocessors/
Configurable TDP (cTDP) is a mechanism to change the standard TDP of a processor to a lower TDP that requires less power and cooling compared to the standard TDP. This is achieved by a lower core frequency and voltage. cTDP is a requirement if the cooling solution of the CPU is not suitable, e.g. very thin devices or when a quite mode is preferred over the maximum performance mode. AMD made this feature first available in selected models of the “Kaveri” based A-Series. Intel introduced this feature in the U/Y Series of ultra low power “Haswell” mobile and newer mobile “Broadwell” CPUs. The cTDP feature from Intel is controlled by the firmware/EC and is set by the device manufacturer and cannot be changed, AMDs implementation allows the user to set this feature on selected desktop models (Kaveri, Carizzo) when the required option is available in the firmware/BIOS.
Mobile CPUs e.g. AMDs 2016 35W “Bristol Ridge” models have a cTDP range of 25-45W and
Intels 2016 “Skylake” top U-Line models have a base TDP of 28W and a lower cTDP from 23W to 22.5W (low power mode). The device manufacturer can set the value that fits the cooling solution in that device. In this case the setting is locked by the manufacturer and cannot be changed. The advantage is only one CPU for different thermal envelopes, but you have to check what cTDP is set to compare speed and battery life of the same CPU model.

look for recommmendations -

Currently, all i want to know which cpu i shoud take into consideration - any and all advices will be appreciated.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: the newest CPU with cTDP feature in latest AMD and Intel processors - to build a fanless server

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I have used amd processors for years with no complaints. I don't do gaming at all.
I have a server that runs 24 hours, has no fans and makes no noise.
AMD e 350 processor 1.6 ghz
4gb memory
win 7 ultimate.
4 4tb 2.5 inch hard drives.
it simply serves movies and files to my small network
it is actually an old Zotac Fusion E-350 AMD M1 board.

as long as you are not doing any encoding or gaming on it it works just fine as
a file server.
uses negligible electricity is silent and runs cool.

robert

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: the newest CPU with cTDP feature in latest AMD and Intel processors - to build a fanless server

Post by thecoalman »

Last computer without a fan I had was c64 and I had to hack one in because it would crash after many hours of use without it, especially in the summer.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

apollodriver

Post by apollodriver »

hello dear Robert, hello dear theCoalmen

many thanks for sharing your insights and experience - this is very interesting for me and gives me some hints.

@ theCoalmen: i can imagine that this was pretty frustrating..

again - thanks to you both

i ll keep you informed how it goes on here.

have a great day

regards your Apollo ;)

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

apollodriver wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:19 am
In case you are unaware c64 was early 80's computer so it was while ago. The 64 was because it had a whopping 64K of ram. :o
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:42 am
apollodriver wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:19 am
In case you are unaware c64 was early 80's computer so it was while ago. The 64 was because it had a whopping 64K of ram. :o
:D Yeah, see my avatar.

Return to “General Discussion”