Setup and running Keepass on a environment of Notebook, PC .... how To

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
apollodriver

Setup and running Keepass on a environment of Notebook, PC .... how To

Post by apollodriver »

hello dear experts hello dear PHPBB-user,

i am so happy to be part of this great community - and to have phpbb up and running. and furthermore i am glad that we can discuss here all the
computer-centered topics - such as - KEEPASS.

This topic is a pretty important topic to me. And i am a Keepass-Beginner -so i am trying to go the first steps.

well i think that i can use Keepass on multiple devices (PCs, Notebook and - even on phones): to do so i think that i could sync them through Nextcloud, which i probably can host on a server at home. But doing a sync via cloud is not the securest way - /(see below the discussion of various methods)

some scenarios:
a friend of mine told me that he has only one install but can launch as many instances of keepass as needed. probably have at least 10 separate databases for verious devices and functions
He also makes usage of Keepass2Android on Pixel. Everything syncs as quickly as OneDrive updates, which is close enough to real-time.

Setup:
Well regarding the Setup here: if i do a install on my home PC, and a install on my notebook. (duuuhh i also can do an install of KeePass Portable on a USB key I use at work so that I don't have to install it on my work computer, )

About the sync:

- i can do this about once a month - in other words how do you think about syncing all the databases once in a month!?
- Well that said: i have many options here: i can synchronise the database via most services across all kinds of devices. But which one is the best method here?!

note: i want to stay safe:
- for example we can sync our database via Dropbox and access it from a Linux machine, a Windows machine and (even the phone)
- but as the database is only single file, we can decide to use local copies as well. And this method does not need to include a Dropbox in the cloud.
if i just copy the database file on the device - eg. my PC, where i want to access it and then i am finished with this step.
This way my database won’t ever reach the internet. i guess that this method is pretty secure.

backup:

What seems very very important to me is the backup:
- i think it is pretty important to never forget to make backups, though!

look forward to hear from you

have a great day

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Setup and running Keepass on a environment of Notebook, PC .... how To

Post by 3Di »

apollodriver wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:25 am
... i am glad that we can discuss here all the computer-centered topics - such as - KEEPASS.
Dear Apollo :|

I do not believe this board has all the answers you are looking for. See: https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/

Bear in mind that phpBB means that is a Bulletin Board written in PHP
... that does not means this Board is devoted to all the computer-centered topics.

All of this being said, I would suggest you to do not waste your time here for that but use the web to search the better venue for your needs.

Simply speaking:
Do you need help for Python? === not here.
Do you need help configuring your PC? === not here
Do you need help about phpBB === this is the right place
:)

apollodriver

Post by apollodriver »

hi there

many thanks for the quick answer - which is very "moderate" - probably others would have erased the posting and banned the user.

Above all - well while i spend just anothter 10 minutes here i thougtht that this is pborbably my new on stop by for all things concerning pc etc etx.

but no: ;)

this is also okay for me.

I appreciate this place Where phpBB-user and programmer share ideas and help each other grow. It is great an online community for sharing and discovering great ideas, having debates - regarding the phpBB, and getting new insihgts into all these things.

Again - thanks for setting straigth

have a great day

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

apollodriver wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:12 pm
many thanks for the quick answer - which is very "moderate" ...
Imagine, I was worried about being rude, thank you. :)

And yes, have a great day you too, take care. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”