Setting MX Record On VPS Hosting

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Exclusive

Setting MX Record On VPS Hosting

Post by Exclusive »

I can't receive emails sent from Gmail to my mail client. I discovered there is no MX record on my DNS, I'm on a VPS Hosting, How can I add this?

AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Re: Setting MX Record On VPS Hosting

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

You need to setup that in your DNS manager, which could be though the administration panel of the domain registrar or the VPS if they have the option to.

You should read the documentation from your VPS provider. This is not about phpBB.

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:00 pm
You need to setup that in your DNS manager, which could be though the administration panel of the domain registrar or the VPS if they have the option to.

You should read the documentation from your VPS provider. This is not about phpBB.
I know this is not phpBB related, that is why i posted my topic in the General discussion forum.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

however, your chances of getting good answers to your question would be much higher asking somewhere that knows about the things you are asking about.
or, as suggested, read the manual on how to operate your VPS or ask your host.

robert

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

First do whois lookup to make sure the VPS is being used to host those records. Under nameservers in the whois lookup it should be listed similar to something1.yourdomain.com and something2.yourdomain.com. If it's something.yourregistrar.com you need to edit the record at the registrar.

Secondly if they are hosted on the VPS it's impossible question to answer. If you are using control panel like WHM they are typically added automatically when you create the domain. If it's managed VPS your host will usually fix things like this. Other wise look in the documentation for the panel you are using to administer the VPS.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Then most likely your server IP is also blacklisted @ https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
I had to remove my IP from that list, then I was able to send/receive emails. (once the DNS is good configured, or you will get blacklisted again)

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

thecoalman wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm
First do whois lookup to make sure the VPS is being used to host those records. Under nameservers in the whois lookup it should be listed similar to something1.yourdomain.com and something2.yourdomain.com. If it's something.yourregistrar.com you need to edit the record at the registrar.

Secondly if they are hosted on the VPS it's impossible question to answer. If you are using control panel like WHM they are typically added automatically when you create the domain. If it's managed VPS your host will usually fix things like this. Other wise look in the documentation for the panel you are using to administer the VPS.
I'm on an unmanaged VPS and I'm using Webuzo control panel. There is no mx record in my dns.

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

</Solidjeuh> wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:14 pm
Then most likely your server IP is also blacklisted @ https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
I had to remove my IP from that list, then I was able to send/receive emails. (once the DNS is good configured, or you will get blacklisted again)
My server IP is not blacklisted. The issue is that the records are not present in my DNS.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Use the search engines and you will find what you need, again.

https://www.webuzo.com/docs/endusers/edit-mx-record

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

3Di wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 am
Use the search engines and you will find what you need, again.

https://www.webuzo.com/docs/endusers/edit-mx-record
Editing it is not my problem, What i need is the record to add, I can add it through CloudFlare

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

The issue is not how to add it but which record to add. This is my first time on VPS Hosting.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Who takes a VPS has experience in setting up servers, otherwise with the same money or even less you take another service with support.
Seeking help here is certainly another bad idea, find a dedicated site and solve your problems. Use the search engines, you know.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Exclusive wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 am
Editing it is not my problem, What i need is the record to add, I can add it through CloudFlare

The MX record on Cloudflare should point to the hostname of your server which might be something like xyz.yourdomain.com. Cloudflare does not proxy email so xyz also needs A record on Cloudflare with an IP that is not proxied through Cloudflare. If you are using Cloudflare for DDOS protection this of course exposes the IP, xyz.yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com should be on separate IP's

Bit if advice, minimally get a managed VPS with decent control panel like WHM. If you are administering an unmanaged VPS you should not need to ask these questions.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not saying this is the case with you but I have seen a lot of people get a VPS when they really don't need it and don't know how to manage it.

you really don't usually need a VPS unless you are using way more resources than a shared hosting account can handle and unless your site is very very busy, that is usually not the case.

robert

Return to “General Discussion”