Trump violates 1st Amendment for Photo Op.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Random American

Trump violates 1st Amendment for Photo Op.

Post by Random American »

Yesterday, June 1st, U.S. President Donald Trump ordered that protesters who were peacefully protesting racial injustice in America to be violently forced back so he can go to a photo shoot in front of a church. It has resulted in criticism from church leaders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... d=71018509

Trump congratulated the misuse of force on twitter. Man, this guy is an asshole and wannabe dictator.

Edit:
Vox wrote:Around the same time that Trump began this address, protesters were peacefully gathered in Lafayette Park near the White House. But they were cleared out of the park by federal law enforcement officers, who used tear gas and rubber bullets to remove the crowd.

Several minutes later, Trump emerged from the White House to have his photo op in front of the nearby church.

In response to this incident, Budde told the Washington Post that she is “outraged” by the president’s actions. “I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call that they would be clearing with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop,” Budde told the Post.

She also denounced Trump for holding a Bible “that declares that God is love and when everything he has said and done is to enflame violence.”
Last edited by Random American on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Trump violates 1st Amendment for Photo Op.

Post by 3Di »

Disgusting person as far as I'm concerned. In our country, as far as you can tell, something like this would never have happened.
Random American

3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:42 am
Disgusting person as far as I'm concerned. In our country, as far as you can tell, something like this would never have happened.
I don't even think it would have even happened in America 10 years ago, even though we had problems.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

I still don't understand how he got there, but do people see? But do people understand? But do people have any knowledge of psychology? At least the basis I mean.
Random American

He got there because Hillary Clinton was not really liked, and really came off as a woman who thought she deserved the presidency due to being a Clinton. She did not win the confidence of the rust belt and thus Trump won. Trump won merely because of Hillary's flaws and also due to the Democratic National Committee conspiring against Bernie and later being exposed. Trump was able to win by saying he was against such corrupt establishment antics and promising to help the rust belt, by preventing job outsourcing.

You also have the Trumpers who would vote for him no matter what, though hopefully they're not enough for a 2020 victory.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Posts in this topic will remain relevant to the original post. It's not going to devolve into an endless amount of posts that amount to "Your politician sucks....No, Your politician sucks" There is currently no rules against political comments here but they will be on topic, respectful of other posters and be relevant. Do not make it difficult for the moderators here otherwise topics like this will simply be closed.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

IMO a general "2020 riots topic" would be better. I was going to make one a couple days ago but fell asleep before I posted it. There's many more relevant stories than this one.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:42 am
In our country, as far as you can tell, something like this would never have happened.
For context the church in question is right next to the White House. Services have been attended there by every President going back to the early 1800's when it was built. The night before a fire had been set by protesters in an auxiliary building.

That said it was a very poor decision.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Random American

I think the motive makes it even worse. This was not done for the good of the country; this was him merely trying to be the TV personality he always was.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

The reason for this debate is certainly a trigger, but if we wanted to add more, we would certainly have the reasons for it.
As a side note here we are not talking about a single subject but about a character quite unsuitable to cover such a role.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Random American wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:39 am
... this was him merely trying to be the TV personality he always was.
The word "personality" usually has a more or less positive connotation.
Note that I wrote "usually" as in this case ... that's not the case ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I notice that no one has mentioned the official reason for removing the protestors was because some of the "peaceful" protestors were attacking the police.

robert
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:52 pm
I notice that no one has mentioned the official reason for removing the protestors was because some of the "peaceful" protestors were attacking the police.
You know very well what they were rightly protesting about, so your comment seems inappropriate.

This is about despotism and I hope you understand.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:52 pm
Up to now I haven't found any video or audio fragments confirming beyond disputation that the police were attacked first.
I wasn't there of course (seriously I wouldn't have risked it in any case).
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I have not researched it myself. however, I find that the urge to put out any information that makes Trump look bad without any actual facts is just hard to overcome for many.

robert

Return to “General Discussion”