Reading, writing and arithmetic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Reading, writing and arithmetic

Post by 3Di »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 pm
Edit my post: Quote forgotten.
3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Okay so what?
I didn't understand this question.
The question, simply as it is:

what with your above statement would you like to communicate by letting us know about the spelling in question?
Are you referring to something someone said?
If so, could you please indicate exactly and maybe quote that?

That would clear a lot of things up, I think. :)
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Languages and spellings should be used as correctly as possible. Few people are multilingual.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm
Languages and spellings should be used as correctly as possible. Few people are multilingual.
I agree with you on that.

Besides, being multilingual doesn't mean being perfect or at least accurate. :)

But couldn't you just say that in your first post the way you said it now? I would have understood right away. ;)
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 pm
3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Okay so what?
I didn't understand this question.
German equivalent: "Ja, und?"

JimA wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:09 pm
these kinds of statements so often from older people about younger people
This is an ongoing trend: :)
Socrates / Σωκρᾰ́της wrote:The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
The more you age, the more you experienced and want others not make the same mistakes and/or not waste time/energy on it. Time in its longevity has more value to you than being open-minded - reliability offers more than yet another restart. Questioning existing concepts while being young is also psychologically founded because you want to find your own individuality. An old man doesn't automatically accept everything that exists, but he knows best why it exists and why there is no better way of it. Just like with caplitalism: one can understand more and more why it isn't replaced with something better or why it doesn't even evolve.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:42 pm
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free. On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
:lol: :lol: I really like that one
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Perhaps it is spell-checker what it was meant for spelling, I think.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Perhaps it is spell-checker what it was meant for spelling, I think.
Nope, it should be read as : the way a word is spelled, implying that there are accepted (and preferably enforced) rules.
"Spelling" is also a noun referring to someone's ability to write words (with respect to) using the official (and agreed upon) rules.

The quote is a nice piece of wordplay.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

I see, so it is interesting that's kinda freeware... which defeats your above explanation, probably? 🤔
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:01 pm
School teaches you how to use your brain...
School NEVER taught me how to use my brain, ever! Most grades and schools I've been in were horrendous. There were at least 35 per classroom and I needed one on one teaching as that is how I can learn better. I learned myself by just reading, watching educational TV shows and a lot of Internet searching. I dropped out of high school my sophomore year never taking a single class on WWII, but I know an awful lot about it because of all the History channel programs I've watched back in the early 90s when the History Channel was worth a damn and reading/Internet reading. The public school system in this country is in shambles. And again, they never taught me how to think, I think on my own. And I was never left-wing as a kid either. That's a reasonable expectation to be left of center when your young, but I knew that fiscal responsibility, less government and less taxes just made plain common sense. I remember in my civics class we had a vote on who you'd pick for president seen as how it was near election day. During that time it was Bill Clinton and Bob Dole. I chose Bob Dole as well as a few other students, but the majority picked Clinton and I just knew that would be the case because they have been systematically brain washed by their teachers. Yep! They teach 'em how to think all right. Right to the ballot box.

AmigoJack wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:38 am
John connor wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:28 pm
several motto's
Oh, that's another great one: plural with apostroph. Also one can easily spot an American by his habit of adding a possessive apostroph and an s to every business name (even if the business is non-family driven or doesn't has that suffix to begin with): Aldi('s), Wal-Mart('s)... There's even an article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-form

There goes precision: being able to distinguish plural from possession. In other languages this inability/mistake also happens.
I actually wasn't sure if it was possessive form or not and knew it most likely wasn't, but just did the 's anyway. I don't dare say softwares or Walmarts, etc. That just sounds utterly stupid as all hell.
JimA wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Honestly, I hear these kinds of statements so often from older people about younger people.
You need to be in the U.S. to understand. Did you watch that YouTube video I gave?
3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:17 pm
Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm
I agree with you on that.

Besides, being multilingual doesn't mean being perfect or at least accurate. :)

But couldn't you just say that in your first post the way you said it now? I would have understood right away. ;)

I guess you don't have much foresight because the quote he gave directly purports to this (my) topic title and opening post about writing ability. That is the subject of this topic. Why are you turning a quote into a big deal? Again, it's a quote about writing ability. It pertains to the topic at hand. There was no in depth explanation needed.

AmigoJack wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:59 pm
This is an ongoing trend: :)
Socrates / Σωκρᾰ́της wrote:The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
The more you age, the more you experienced and want others not make the same mistakes and/or not waste time/energy on it. Time in its longevity has more value to you than being open-minded - reliability offers more than yet another restart. Questioning existing concepts while being young is also psychologically founded because you want to find your own individuality. An old man doesn't automatically accept everything that exists, but he knows best why it exists and why there is no better way of it. Just like with caplitalism: one can understand more and more why it isn't replaced with something better or why it doesn't even evolve.
It's true even back then to Babylonian era. Yet I was the polar opposite. I'd watch the news and the History Channel, etc and and put these older people who obviously know more than I and the subject at hand on a pedestal. I look up to these people and I see a wealth of talent on the news from commentators who were former judges or doctors, etc.
3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:48 pm
I see, so it is interesting that's kinda freeware... which defeats your above explanation, probably? 🤔
You're thinking too had about this chief. :lol:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:45 am
I don't dare say softwares ...
The word software is both singular and plural. In fact I think is an uncountable noun, same as people: the word "peoples" doesn't exist (I think).

As to multilingualism: the English Wikipedia page is quite interesting.
Growing up in a bilingual country gives an advantage and makes learning a new language a lot easier. Belgium is actually trilingual (Dutch, French and German) and just about each region has a distinct dialect with different vocabulary, sounds and even grammar. Belgians, at least the Flemish speakers have less problems in learning foreign sounds, because many foreign sounds are already incorporated in the local dialects (the French , Spanish, English, Normen and Vikings have all been here, as have the Huns.
Unfortunately, language proficiency has gone down since the existence of internet, as English is the predominant language. (probably also enhanced by SMS language).
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

With each region having its own dialect, it's like how here in the U.S. each region has their own accents and way of saying things and sometimes meanings for things. Like going down south to Mississippi they have a a different accent versus that of those that live in North Dakota or Minnesota. I used to live in North Dakota and one word everyone knew there and in Minnesota is uff da.

Then going to Illinois or Wisconsin people have a different accent there. Da bears! :lol:

I may be an American, but my ancestry is comprised of mostly German, Irish, Norwegian, Polish and Austrian. We're all a bunch of mutts over here. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I'll have you know that I come from a long line of classy mutts.
I remember when I was a kid and found out that my grandfather who was closer to me than my father was, once did
30 days in jail for running moonshine. My aunt told the story and actuall whispered it . I completely fell apart laughing.

robert
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”