Or is it just me?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
EA117

Or is it just me?

Post by EA117 »

I think it would be interesting to parse the phpbb.com access logs and see how many invocations of the https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/ URL are immediately followed by invocation of a URL from the "Quick links" menu. (e.g. search.php?search_id=unreadposts, search.php?search_id=newposts, etc.) Because the Quick Link menu is what the phpbb.com visitor was actually trying to access.

It happens because the "click required" nature of Quick Links and the "hover action" of the "About" menu right above it conspire for me to review the phpBB Features list about once a day, if not more. 😜 i.e. You move your mouse and click on the coordinates for where the "Quick Links" menu should be, but while doing that you accidentally made an incursion into the airspace of the "About" menu, and so by the time you actually click on the "Quick Link" coordinates, the "Features" item has been rendered on the fly-out menu under your mouse.

Not sure what the best mitigation would be. Don't mix hover menus with click menus side-by-side like that? i.e. Make "About" require a click, just like "Quick Links" requires a click. Giving greater distance of course would help, but moving the "About" menu items to the right would perhaps look odd. Moving the entire "hover" menu up to the top of the banner image instead of along the bottom edge, maybe?

Anyway, kept thinking I should mention it since it happens to me all the time. There, now I've mentioned it.
david63

Re: Or is it just me?

Post by david63 »

That is not something that I can recall ever having done - probably have done it but it is not something I worry about. However if/when I have the page scrolled up a bit I do quite often hit the browser back button instead of the Quick links
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Never had this issue, PC/mouse or smartphone with my big fingertips lol. :lol:
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

This happens to me almost on daily basis :D
EA117

Post by EA117 »

I think it makes sense that "PC/mouse" is where any susceptibility would be, since that's where the opportunity to "accidentally" pass into the airspace over the "About" menu exists. On a touch screen you're not "hovering" over anything until you finally decide to touch.

Maybe those with a "tab-based workflow" are more susceptible. i.e. Something that makes you tend to be bringing your mouse pointer down from the top of the browser screen (closing or selecting some tab) as opposed to coming in from some other direction.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

EA117 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm
On a touch screen you're not "hovering" over anything until you finally decide to touch.
I don't know about that. The moment my finger or hand comes close to a touchscreen, shit happens and the screen moves or pops closer to my hand while moving left, right up and/or down with unexpected results. Actually I've come to realise that the only consistent result is that something totally different happens than what I need/want. I dread the moment mice become extinct.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I have that exact issue with touch screens. I don't use them often but when I do it is irritating that I don't acutally have to touch the screen for things to happen.

as far as the phpbb.com menu I think there should be a delay of at least a few miliseconds before it drops.
on pc when moving the cursor across the screen no matter how fast it moves it drops down any of the menus that have a drop down. I love this type of menu but the drop downs are so big and so fast that it is confusing some times.

robert
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Never happened to me. Also because I disable ajax.googleapis.com it would be https://www.phpbb.com/about/ to me, since no sub menu opens when hovering it, should it ever happen.

Return to “General Discussion”