Why install linux

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

Anybody in here using Debian? so what did you choose at the video card part during the installation?

harishankar

Post by harishankar »

sonyboy wrote: Anybody in here using Debian? so what did you choose at the video card part during the installation?

I am a Debian user and I selected generic vesa driver and safe refresh rate values during installation. Once I got the system up and runing, I installed the correct drivers (ATI fglrx drivers) because I have a 9600 Pro card.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

There are several good reasons to have two operating systems on your computer:
  1. Learning opportunity: linux is a cheap and easy way to learn the world of UNIX, which is not going to go away despite what some people in Redmond may believe.
  2. Security. It's not just Firefox; the entire Linux platform is generally more secure than Windows, and it's much more difficult to write viruses that will successfully propagate across Linux platforms (the non-homogeneous nature of Linux and the inconsistent layout of filesystems, locations of binaries, etc between distros doesn't help virus writers either).
  3. Troubleshooting. There have been many occasions on which I've determined that an apparent hardware problem with my PC was actually a driver problem by taking note of the fact that it worked OK when I rebooted to Linux.
  4. Website development. Generally speaking, you're better off with a UNIX-based webhost if you want to have a phpBB forum, and you'll be more adept at using the resources of that webhost if you know Linux. I've lost track of the number of times people who obviously had no UNIX knowledge asked for help doing something with their board (such as scheduled backups that are automatically transferred to a remote site) that would be trivially easy for a UNIX user but confusing and opaque for a Windows-only user (crontab? ssh? What's that?)
Maybe somebody else can think of more reasons, but those are the ones that come to mind immediately for me.

PS. I use Mandrake. And yes, despite widespread claims that it's only suitable for beginners, I like it despite the fact that I have several years working experience as a Sunsoft/SOLARIS and SGI IRIX sysadmin. I've been around the UNIX block; I've used numerous kinds of UNIX including the really big and expensive ones, and I see no reason for the contempt in which some people hold Mandrake.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

Also, if you study computer programming than Linux is for you.

etgsgroup

Linux good for server

Post by etgsgroup »

I think Linux good for who want to make server.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Darth Wong wrote: I've used numerous kinds of UNIX including the really big and expensive ones, and I see no reason for the contempt in which some people hold Mandrake.

I don't think that people who dislike mandrake tend to mostly come from the oh-nose-expensive end of UNIX, but rather from the wtf-free-software-debian-is-great end of Linux. Personally, having used both Mandrake and Debian, I doubt that I'll be using Mandrake again out of choice.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

haha funny flash.

venox123

Post by venox123 »

Ya, i use a linux, for my server. I hear there a lot harder to hack. Thats one of the reasons I got one. But i pay a lot for hacker safe. Watches over all my sites and all. Linux is good for servers. But im not to sure if they would be good for a home use computer...

What do you guys think?

Mayan Obsidian

Linux roxors my boxors.

Post by Mayan Obsidian »

I have a dual-boot of windows XP and Gentoo Linux. I mostly spend my spare time programming websites and 3d engines - so programming in linux is easy cake to me. I would completely get rid of my windows system if I didn't need Macromedia Flash MX for my web programming projects, and the occasional round or two of counter-strike. Otherwise everything else I need works under linux - including photoshop and dreamweaver :)

And my desktops just look cooler in linux :)
It's better to fail at doing something then to excel at doing nothing.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I would also like to add that I feel far more comfortable with my relatively computer neophyte wife browsing the Internet and reading E-mail on Linux than on Windows. You can coach someone on basic virus avoidance techniques but that's no guarantee; using a platform where 99% of viruses are completely useless and the mail client doesn't auto-execute or auto-render anything (even HTML code) is another useful safety buffer.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Indeed, the exact reasons I'm pushing my family in the Mac direction; I'm tired of fixing their computer, or witnessing the results of their pathetic attempts to fix it themselves. "Delete is not uninstall" is something I never want to explain again :(

I survived my first Debian install the other day, the server is purring along quite nicely, and I'm even considering turning it into an NT domain box, purely for the geeky fun of it. :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Crosus

Post by Crosus »

I use Knoppix(installed it on HD) and is running perfectly
Darkness.Nytka.org --->Developing Summoned Angels

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

I have FreeBSD running on a server which I picked up from work and it's running beautifully on it.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Linux is fantastic. When it works.
Which it currently doesn't. Bleh.

Dan

Return to “General Discussion”