How Do/Did You Get Your Forum Off the Ground?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Catsmother

How Do/Did You Get Your Forum Off the Ground?

Post by Catsmother »

My forum is just over a week old, I have some members and I keep posting fresh content. members that I have now came over from my old forum in which was ProBoards.

When did members start joining your forum and how did you get new members?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How Do/Did You Get Your Forum Off the Ground?

Post by KevC »

There's a huge topic on this already
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=362219
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

Posting links to it on Social Media sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc can be effective, just be mindful that you don't appear to be spamming,

If your forum is for example about cats... there will be cat discussions on Twitter / Facebook, i would use a different name, gently join in the conversation and a few posts later - ask if anyone on there also uses "my forum" which they don't know is mine.

This generally gets people to have a wee look at your forum :D
qcz

Post by qcz »

I posted my board on FB, sadly literally no one joined.

I might try again some time
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It helps if you started before facebookmageddon which has wiped out a lot of forums and makes it difficult to start a new one. Especially if it's widely discussed topic like "cats", just being honest here.

Personally I found a niche and filled it, being very knowledgeable about that niche was very helpful.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
thecharmed01
Former Team Member

Post by thecharmed01 »

I feel like even now, you have to have a niche.
If there's not a good enough sales pitch and reward delivery, it can be difficult to convince people to move off a social media network like Facecrack.

The best way I think, is getting people onboard who like to post a lot, and people with a reasonable social media following involved.
Like anything these days, you need social media.
You have to be active across platforms, Facecrack, IG, Twitter, even Reddit/Tumblr.
And you have to balance useful posts with boardspam so that people don't get bored and hide you.

IMHO once you get people onto a forum, they definitely enjoy the lack of a robot god squad like facecrack has. And when they realise that the mods are actual hoomans and who can be reasoned with (if you have good teams!) you might get the odd problematic user but most will respect the rules and play nice.
Please refrain from PM'ing me for support unless I specifically ask you to.......

Helpful Pages: ~ [Styles FAQ] ~ [Styles User Guide] ~ [Styles Submission Policy]
My Site: [C1 Web Design]
| Mum | Web Designer | Airsoft Player| Business Owner|
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Content content content. Build it and they will come.

Return to “General Discussion”