[Solved] SFTP in FileZilla with phpBB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: [Solved] SFTP in FileZilla with phpBB

Post by thecoalman »

Marek Muc wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 pm
Maybe it has something to do with the "Treat files without extension as ASCII file." as this option is available to be unchecked only for FTP transfers (this setting for SFTP is not available).
SFTP is binary by default, that option is probably not available because your server does support ascii/text over SFTP to begin with. ;)

The issue with Filezilla is somewhat related specifically to phpBB or anything else where a binary file does not have an extension. When you transfer a binary file in ascii/text mode it corrupts the header. Filezilla will correctly pick binary when an extension exists that indicates binary file but defaults to ascii/text for files without extensions. Why they chose to do that and continue to do that is beyond me because if you have a file of unknown content binary is the the safe choice.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

This setting in FileZilla is not server-specific as it looks the same even before I establish any connection.

I didn't know that SFTP is binary by default, so this is probably the reason why this setting in FileZilla reads 'FTP' at the beginning. Anyway, I did a simple test on image files hashed by phpBB: I downloaded them to local hard drive, then deleted on server, purged the cache, checked that phpBB sees that they are 'missing', and then re-uploaded them. They were not corrupted so it seems that the SFTP transfer works OK :)
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

When looking for answers I posted on FileZilla's forums and they confirmed your view, I posted the same screenshot as here. Their reply:

This only applies to FTP, the only protocol with a data type concept.

Return to “General Discussion”