Happy....

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Re: Happy....

Post by bubbathegimp »

Happy National Cheeseburger Day.
Make Mine Mushroom and Swiss....
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pm
Happy National Cheeseburger Day.
Make Mine Mushroom and Swiss....
Sounds tasty!
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Post by scooterbird »

thecoalman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:47 am
I just started working full time at long time friends hardware/bicycle/lawn equipment store. He can barely operate a phone. I am now head of IT. :lol:

I just ordered the first two computers that will be entering the shop. He will actually need them... He's selling a lot of electric bikes and you need to diagnose them just like a car and the bigger saws are starting to come equipped with electronics that have a communications port for diagnosis.
It's rather astonishing that in this day and age, the store did not have any computers until now.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

There are still some Aunt Emma shops and work-shops without computers. Even without a cash register there are still shops and restaurants in the countryside. :mrgreen:
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

scooterbird wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 am
It's rather astonishing that in this day and age, the store did not have any computers until now.
They have a system and it works for them. His wife will use laptop when she needs too. The Father who passed a few years ago could barely spell but he definitely knew how to count and sell stuff. Wasn't a book smart man but a very smart businessman. When other small hardware stores were closing in the area because of the big box stores he was buying their stock up at much less than he would pay for it wholesale. He hit a few trends in the 80's ahead of the curve, specifically kerosene heaters and BMX bikes.

I need to ease him into this, he doesn't like change. Doesn't have a lot of choice becsue some of the electric bikes and the larger saws he sell come with electronics and require diagnostics. I'll start with some labor price lists, labels, etc. The two computers I'm getting both have Win Pro with TPM chip for security. I'm going to install second drives in RAID1 and backup to something else. Basically what I do at home, I'm not all that familiar with Windows networking in business environment but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The other problem is I never worked in retail store so I'm not familiar with that process. Do they have excel spreadsheet or some other dataset for every order? That's a rhetorical question, these are the kinds of questions I don't the answer too but I will learn. I can't work with what I know, I need to use common software for retail so he's not left hanging in the wind if something happens to myself. I don't know what that software is though... ;)
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Post by scooterbird »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:58 am
Sounds like a real challenge. Since I went into business for myself and stepped away from the "industry" side of things, I've been continually surprised at how little computer literacy there is in the wider world, and it does take easing people into the process. I've often told people that my job at this point is more psychological than technical...so many people have convinced themselves that they are too "stupid" to understand such things.
Last edited by Mick on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

Happy National Drink Beer Day.
Where's Bertie??!!

Return to “General Discussion”