Anyone heard of this site?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Random American

Anyone heard of this site?

Post by Random American »

Has anyone heard of ,<removed link> I just happened to find it when looking up free hosts due to reading a topic in phpBB Discussion. It claims to be a free service that allows people to create a free forum that runs phpBB3 which they will host. I'm just asking if anyone else has heard of this site.
Just to be clear, I do NOT recommend that anyone try to use it, as the site seems to be abandoned, with a self imposed deadline to get something up by 2006 which never happened, and it contains extremely out of date information on the phpBB project. Their support board seems to be using the old development version of phpBB3, which recognizes my browser as the Alexa bot for some reason, though I cannot access any forum. The site is laughable to be honest.
Last edited by thecoalman on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <removed link>
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Anyone heard of this site?

Post by thecoalman »

There has been various "free" phpBB hosts through the years and the people that utilize those services usually end up paying for it one way or the other. The typical scam is they have growing community and want to move it to their own host and are charged to get the database. Other problems include things like waking up one day and the service is gone.... <poof>.

At one point in time this may have been lucrative even if they were giving full access to the database. The service owner served ads. However the wild west of the advertising days has ended and I don't see how they could possibly make any money now.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Random American

thecoalman wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am
Other problems include things like waking up one day and the service is gone.... <poof>.
Which is probably what happened there, though for some reason most of the site is still up, albeit, broken.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

The most pernicious thing at the moment, at least to me, is that some companies are trying to buy forums/social media sites - especially well supported ones with the object of the exercise being to capture members data, their ideas and anything else they can lay their hands on to sell on to their "partners".
I had an attempt to buy my own a couple of weeks ago. When I did a search I came across a board whose owner had sold it out without even telling his members. New terms and conditions appeared with the new owners telling members that they now owned the content of the posts and if they wished could market any sell-able ideas that were on the site including anything contained in the database. I sure hope that someone challenges their right to do so.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Random American

Jim_UK wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:47 pm
Someone tried to do that on a Board I'm a user of, but the owner wasn't having it, saying "No, I would not consider selling it, certainly not for pocket money and especially to a racist person like you."

It's a political Board btw that runs phpBB3 and that would be buyer had run ins with moderation there and he wanted also to buy it for the information the site held too.

Return to “General Discussion”