A possible resurgence in PhPBB type sites on the way?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

A possible resurgence in PhPBB type sites on the way?

Post by bubbathegimp »

david63

Re: A possible resurgence in PhPBB type sites on the way?

Post by david63 »

Not in the UK they will not as we have GDPR which will prohibit it.

Now I bet all you Americans that derided these regulations wish you had them in the US
Random American

Post by Random American »

david63 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am
Not in the UK they will not as we have GDPR which will prohibit it.

Now I bet all you Americans that derided these regulations wish you had them in the US
Well, to an extent, yes, we really need more regulations, and I don't know why we seek falling for the idea that no regulations to prevent abuse is a good thing.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am
Unless the social media platform is sharing that information with debt collectors I'm not sure what affect this would have. Furthermore just because they can doesn't mean the platform needs to allow them to do that. Last but not least here in the US if you are contacted by debt collection agency a written letter asking them to validate the debt and cease all communications except mailed communications will put an end to it.

These debt collection agencies buy the debt for pennies on the dollar. Once you send that letter not only do they need to provide you with accurate information about the debt which they may not have there only option is to sue. Unless it's some extraordinary debt they are just going to move on.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Random American wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 am
Well, to an extent, yes, we really need more regulations, and I don't know why we seek falling for the idea that no regulations to prevent abuse is a good thing.
If you have common sense and practical regulations, sure I could agree but that is not what happens. If you take the GDPR for example. Google, Facebook and these other large companies have an army of lawyers and software engineers to comply with those regulations. They can also easily deal with lawsuits nuisance or not. On top of that they have army of lobbyists representing their interests that are more than happy to see regulations that can stamp out the competition that do not have the resources to comply, even if those regulations affect their own business.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

On Facebook et al the majority of users freely post information about themselves that would allow a debt collection company to figure out where they live.

EG, do a name search, then narrow it down by age marital status etc That wil give them a starting point.

Then go through all the posts and photos they have made, work, childrens school, group photos, sports interests,house, garden, car, whatever

I would bet that 50% of the time you could find the person you are looking for in a very short time. GDPR? Whats the point when you are giving your private information away

Oh, and I don't use any social media, so don't waste your time trying to find me there
Random American

Post by Random American »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:37 pm
Oh, and I don't use any social media, so don't waste your time trying to find me there
I don't either. phpBB forums is the closest I have come to social media.
thecoalman wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 am
On top of that they have army of lobbyists representing their interests that are more than happy to see regulations that can stamp out the competition that do not have the resources to comply, even if those regulations affect their own business.
We should ban most forms of lobbying and campaign contributions to be honest.

Return to “General Discussion”