A History Lesson

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
david63

A History Lesson

Post by david63 »

For those under 35 here is the history of Windows - https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/975 ... al-history

And for those of us over 35 we can still remember DOS. Anyone remember creating batch files in DOS with edlin? One error and you had to start again!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: A History Lesson

Post by warmweer »

those were the days
Messages that come to mind are : Too many open files, Help not available for this command, Insufficient memory, Disk Full, Abort, Retry, Fail?.
Editing config.sys and autoexec.bat, configuring extended memory to get some games to work.
Edlin was a disaster to work with but edit.com solved that (can't remember when that was introduced, DOS 3 ?).
I wasn't fond of Windows 3 at all (never used earlier versions) and basically only accepted Windows as of Win 95 (necessary for Unreal).
Up until a few years ago I still used a DOS-emulator to run some very old games. I actually still have a old PC with a 436 processor stored somewhere which I even used until about 2010 to play some old games (Doom 1 & 2)- probably won't start up any more - long live the DOS-emulator.
KaileyT
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by KaileyT »

No mention of NT4 :?

Fun fact though, we still have an old NT4 server at my company. Not connected to the internet and access is only restricted to 2 people. Every now and then I'll go in there and turn it off to see how long it takes one of those 2 people to freak out. :lol:
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
P_I

Post by P_I »

Or punch cards :?
david63

Post by david63 »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Edlin was a disaster to work with but edit.com solved that (can't remember when that was introduced, DOS 3 ?).
It was later than 3. If I can recall it was either 5 or 6
Random American

Post by Random American »

Windows XP was a good operating system and so was Windows 7. It's unfortunate that microsoft has ended support and updates for both, especially Windows 7, as it was a stable OS with nice features, like windows areo.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Random American wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 pm
Windows XP was a good operating system and so was Windows 7. It's unfortunate that microsoft has ended support and updates for both, especially Windows 7, as it was a stable OS with nice features, like windows areo.
If I understand correctly those problems should go away with Win10 because there will be no Win11... They will roll out updates to older computers indefinitely. You may need to pay for upgrade for major features but that will not be an issue for most people who get them with new hardware.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Random American

thecoalman wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:06 pm
Random American wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 pm
If I understand correctly those problems should go away with Win10 because there will be no Win11... They will roll out updates to older computers indefinitely. You may need to pay for upgrade for major features but that will not be an issue for most people who get them with new hardware.
I run windows 10, but there are privacy concerns with it. I do think it spies on users more often than the previous windows versions did and they try to get users to censent to that crap right when they install it or buy a new computer. I think they are still spying on me even when I opted out and I don't think I'm merely paranoid.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I think a lot of resentment towards Windows versions originated from the increased processor requirements with each version.
Vista really needed more powerful hardware than it predecessor, and Win 8 was even worse IMO (upgrading from Win 7 really slowed my laptop almost to a standstill - with new hardware it ran just fine - and don't even try to upgrade W7 to W10).
I quite like W10 but for the imposed search in the labyrinth of configuration settings and the inconsistent, outright bad documentation about the registry.

@david63: you're right. edit.com came with DOS 5

A funny story (well? I think it's funny): there's 1 software I started using on DOS sometime in 1994 and it's the first thing I install on every new PC (after the OS of course), and I've got the latest installation files with me on USB at all times. When someone asks me to do something on their PC and they don't allow me to install that bit of software - too bad , I ain't touching that PC. A former employer of mine once enforced a policy that only software on the organisation's list could be installed on the PCs, and that program wasn't on the list. So I offered a choice, either add it to the list, or accept my resignation. It wasn't put on the list but I got an exemption. Around 2010, some new guy near the top got it into his head that the exemption had reached its EOL. So I offered the choice again and didn't get the required favourable response, resulting in me taking my accumulated six weeks paid holidays and leaving the organisation on January 1 with 13 months bulk salary payment. (no other software has ever given me that much pleasure ;-))
Random American

warmweer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:41 pm
A funny story (well? I think it's funny): there's 1 software I started using on DOS sometime in 1994 and it's the first thing I install on every new PC (after the OS of course), and I've got the latest installation files with me on USB at all times.
What type of software is it?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Random American wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 pm
What type of software is it?
It's a file manager and has a lot of tools built in + it's easy to add other tools to it. I'm not going to name it as it isn't free.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Made my first program using basic. That was Eons ago but I'm still not as old as David :P
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
david63

Post by david63 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:32 pm
but I'm still not as old as David
But you're getting there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

My first version of windows was 3.1 I believe. I could do some basic file management in DOS but that was about it.
this was in 1994 or 5 I think. My mother was a software engineer and tech writer for xerox at the time. She brought home
the first computer I ever saw. It had a massive 20MB (yes, MB ) hard drive and had two floppy drives, one for 8inch floppies
and one for 3.5 inch floppies. It was also one of the first PCs to come with a mouse.

the only games I ever played were pacman on floppie and some text based rpg type game, oh and leasure suit larry. :lol:
I was afraid of breaking that computer but my Mom told me I didn't know enough to hurt it. When I would ask here what to do
when strange things happened she would say, "just click the button and see what happens".
Well one day managed to learn enough to hurt it. I somehow managed to delete on of the main DOS system files that it needed to run. The poor thing never booted up again. :evil:

when the WWW started up I read about it in the computer magazines and told my mother that if she was going to start
her own consulting business she needed to be on the new internet thing.
She bought a new PC with the new win95 on it. I didn't even know it had IE on it so we bought Netscape for 49USD and it
came on 3 or 4 3.5 floppies.

ahhhh, the good ole days.

robert
Random American

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm
She bought a new PC with the new win95 on it. I didn't even know it had IE on it so we bought Netscape for 49USD and it
came on 3 or 4 3.5 floppies.
My father has an old windows 98 computer. As for Netscape Navigator, I have never seen that much outside of old magazine and internet articles. It's amazing how popular it used to be and then it disappeared. I think I ran the last version in a virtual machine once though.

Return to “General Discussion”