A History Lesson

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: A History Lesson

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

netscape did not disappear. it is now called FireFox.

rob ert
KaileyT
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by KaileyT »

You can still download etscape Navigator 9! :D
warmweer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:24 pm
It's a file manager and has a lot of tools built in + it's easy to add other tools to it. I'm not going to name it as it isn't free.
I'd be interested in what file manager you're using. This is my file manager. :lol:
fileman.png
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
david63

Post by david63 »

Getting back to our history lesson.

One story I like from the "early days" is when IBM gave the rights of DOS to a certain William Gates and cohorts as IBM did not want to take on the maintenance of something (DOS) that would only be used on a few thousand machines at the most.

I wonder what the computing world would have been like if IBM had continued with developing the OS for PCs and Microsoft had never been born = although on the other hand IBM never really had a good track record.
P_I

Post by P_I »

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 pm
I wonder what the computing world would have been like if IBM had continued with developing the OS for PCs
Wasn't that the OS/2 experience?
Wikipedia wrote:IBM discontinued its support for OS/2 on 31 December 2006. Since then, OS/2 has been developed, supported and sold by two different third-party vendors under license from IBM - first by Serenity Systems as eComStation since 2001, and later by Arca Noae LLC as ArcaOS since 2017.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

KaileyT wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:37 pm
I'd be interested in what file manager you're using. This is my file manager. :lol:
Wow, you still have around 8 Mb free space. No worries there.
Random American

Post by Random American »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:22 am
netscape did not disappear. it is now called FireFox.

rob ert
I didn't know that actually, though I always used Firefox as I hated IE and never used Edge.
chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 »

What was the dos game that came pre-installed with Windows 3 where you had two gorillas throwing bananas at each other?
Great game and you could alter the gravity settings in the code!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 pm
I wonder what the computing world would have been like if IBM had continued with developing the OS for PCs and Microsoft had never been born = although on the other hand IBM never really had a good track record.
I would offer the opinion that Microsoft had the right software at the right moment in time. If it wasn't them it would of been someone else for better or worse. I'm not discounting MS or Bill Gates but a lot of these giants of the industry took advantages of opportunities that presented themselves that don't exist today. Being first was more important than best.

I had childhood friend that was somewhat genius, we both had C64's in the early 80's. While mine was gathering dust in late 80's he built a robot with his. He makes millions per year as CTO of a company where magicians work. He moved to that after being head of major division at NetFlix. He is certainly much more intelligent that I am but the big difference is he grabbed that bull by the horns when the opportunity was there. It was the right moment in time and I blew it. :lol:
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

chanlon1 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:30 am
What was the dos game that came pre-installed with Windows 3 where you had two gorillas throwing bananas at each other?
Great game and you could alter the gravity settings in the code!
Using the 3 words I boldfaced in a quick search, the obvious answer was QBasic GORILLAS
Random American

Has anyone played with DOS in a virtual Machine? Yes, DOS was before my time, but I have played around with old operating systems, and have some familiarity with them.
david63

Post by david63 »

Random American wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:00 pm
Has anyone played with DOS in a virtual Machine?
I think that those of us who had to use DOS on a daily basis would do anything to avoid using it again - unless we were desperate.

If you like playing with old OS see if you can find cp/m - similar to DOS but waaaayyyyyy more user friendly
Random American

david63 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 pm
I think that those of us who had to use DOS on a daily basis would do anything to avoid using it again - unless we were desperate.

If you like playing with old OS see if you can find cp/m - similar to DOS but waaaayyyyyy more user friendly
I can see why. I absolutely hate the UI of DOS to be honest, but I still played with it anyway. I used to even run some old viruses on some of the VMs as well. My favorite of the old operating systems that I have ran was Windows 98 though. It had most of the UI that I was familiar with, but it was light weight. It hardly hogged up resources from the host machine, which cannot be said for XP and beyond. Windows 95 on the other hand was hard to run.

Anyone here use Virtual Machines?
KaileyT
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by KaileyT »

david63 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 pm
Oh, I remember that one!
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Return to “General Discussion”