[Question] Obtaining site information

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Random American

[Question] Obtaining site information

Post by Random American »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm
Just had a quick look and one immediate problem I noticed is the cookie: Secure is set to False but SameSite is set to None. I thought that was changed sometime last year. Anyway the cookie is rejected after a second clickthrough.
cookiedomain is missing the leading dot also.

Site is running op php 5.5 > time to change host? or at least upgrade the software on the server ;-)

Got a warning about: The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. Not sure how that is possible. Never before have I encountered that.
The files are version 3.2.2 and I can't see phpBB being the cause
Hi. I hope you don't mind that I quote you here, but I have a bit of a question.
This doesn't matter for me as I obviously don't participate in the Wanted! forum (with the exception of the comments I made today as everyone was impatient with that guy for not instantly replying), but may I ask how you obtain that information? It seems to me to be a good skill to have, and I'm here to learn.

Thanks.
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: [Question] Obtaining site information

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

The easiest way is to use curl:

Code: Select all

curl -IL "https://example.com"
Or if the server does not allow HEAD requests (like phpbb.com), you can send a GET request (-X GET):

curl -ILX GET "https://example.com"
Which will return the headers where you can get that information:

The phpBB version can be guessed from the style.cfg file from the prosilver style, however it's not a reliable way to know which phpBB version a site is running.
Random American

Post by Random American »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:09 am
Thanks man. I appreciate it.
P_I

Post by P_I »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:09 am
Which will return the headers where you can get that information
That's a poorly configured server. Properly configured and secured, the Server information won't reveal version information like that.

Checking here:

curl -ILX GET https://www.phpbb.com/community/
Returns:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 03:47:55 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Set-Cookie: phpbb3_1fh61_u=1; expires=Sat, 02-Jan-2021 03:47:55 GMT; path=/; domain=.phpbb.com; secure; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: phpbb3_1fh61_k=; expires=Sat, 02-Jan-2021 03:47:55 GMT; path=/; domain=.phpbb.com; secure; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: phpbb3_1fh61_sid=77457b598277c3d55540d9755622608c; expires=Sat, 02-Jan-2021 03:47:55 GMT; path=/; domain=.phpbb.com; secure; HttpOnly
Cache-Control: private, no-cache="set-cookie"
Expires: 0
Referrer-Policy: strict-origin-when-cross-origin
Pragma: no-cache
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Notice the Server information doesn't give up version information.

Your browser DevTools will reveal the same information in the Network tab by looking at first request and reply.

Another method to double-check the phpBB version, check the docs/CHANGELOG.html, i.e. docs/CHANGELOG.html
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

P_I wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:50 am
That's a poorly configured server. Properly configured and secured, the Server information won't reveal version information like that.
Obviously :D I only answered how to get that information (without server access), the intention was not to discuss security hardening best practices, of a server that's not even mine.
P_I

Post by P_I »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:41 am
P_I wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:50 am
Obviously :D I only answered how to get that information (without server access), the intention was not to discuss security hardening best practices, of a server that's not even mine.
Totally agree with you.

I was trying to point out that the information below shouldn't be attainable without asking the board admin.
warmweer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm
Site is running op php 5.5 > time to change host? or at least upgrade the software on the server ;-)
Generally getting the server's PHP version is difficult with the board admin providing the information.

Return to “General Discussion”