Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

Darth Wong wrote:
Pit wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Would you mind elaborating? I always thought the only difference between a desktop UNIX and a server UNIX was the packages you installed and the daemons you chose to run at startup.

No, it is entirely possible and common to optimise the operating system itself for a specific use. For example, see the case insensitive filesystem in OS X (Server 10.3 corrects this), which can break Apache.

OS X actually has a case-insensitive filesystem?!? Why would they do that?
It's only partly case-insensitive, it's mostly case-sensitive.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

pulling his hair wrote: It's only partly case-insensitive, it's mostly case-sensitive.

What do you mean by that? Is it like Windows, where it stores case-sensitive filenames but is not capable of distinguishing between the filenames "Readme.txt" and "readme.txt"? That's the litmus test of case sensitivity: creating two separate files "Readme.txt" and "readme.txt" in the same directory. Display-only case-sensitivity is about as useful as a poopy-flavoured lollipop, to steal a line from "Dodgeball".
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

Hmm... After checking I'm wrong, it depends on the file system
ADC wrote: Case sensitivity. UFS is sensitive to case; although HFS+ is case-insensitive it is case-preserving.

teamultimo

Post by teamultimo »

lit my hair on fire when I was messin around with the wires for some odd, fun reason (i was about 10 year old) in my new computer and a huge, loud blue spark/flame shot out of the power supply thus setting my hair on fire for a few seconds
"Your damned if you do, and your damned if your don't"

.... sooooo.... what? are we all going to hell then?

jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

teamultimo wrote: lit my hair on fire when I was messin around with the wires for some odd, fun reason (i was about 10 year old) in my new computer and a huge, loud blue spark/flame shot out of the power supply thus setting my hair on fire for a few seconds

HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL!!!!!!!!! THATS KOOL
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!

Daffy09

Post by Daffy09 »

teamultimo wrote: lit my hair on fire when I was messin around with the wires for some odd, fun reason (i was about 10 year old) in my new computer and a huge, loud blue spark/flame shot out of the power supply thus setting my hair on fire for a few seconds

Hmm, you set your hair alight with some wires. That sounds funny!

The stupidest thing I ever did was delete all my documents.

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Just remembered this a couple of things...

Last summer, I found a website with a bunch of WinXP and program performance tweaks. I blindly followed all of them.

Upon rebooting, my user account was gone! I logged into my girlfriend's account instead, and looked in the settings, and indeed, my account had disappeared (her's was an administrative account also). Going to Documents & Settings, I found that all my documents, MP3s, etc., were gone, gone gone. Hours later, I managed to find where my comp had hit all my documents, and I had to recreate my user file. That taught me not to trust just any ol' hack I find online...

This one wasn't really something I did, but it was pretty dumb: When I was building my computer back in 2003, I ordered a new processor (P4, 2.6GHz w/ HT)... I waited a few days and checked the shipping status. UPS (or whoever) said that the last place it was scanned was "front porch" on the day before I was checking. Panic set in... I hadn't received any package, nor was there anything on my front porch. I figured my nice, shiny new chip was stolen right off my porch. Well, I was wrong, and noticed the box laying across the yard in the corner our fence, in the snow. I guess it had spent the night out there, having been blown off the porch the day before (they really ought to weigh down boxes that light). Thankfully, it still worked, and still does to this day.

Rikki-UK

Post by Rikki-UK »

When GPRS first appeared I went out and purchased a new GPRS phone, data cable and Brand new laptop..
carried it out to the car and dropped my car keys on the floor, put all the shiny new boxes on the roof, bent down to pick up my car keys and my wallet fell out and emptied itself of all my credit cards, business cards various notes with phone numbers etc..

After an eventfull five minutes chasing the contents of my wallet around the windswept car park , a very grouchy me jumped in the car and shot out of the car park at a great rate of speed

Unfortunatly all those new shiny boxes on the roof , and their contents didnt exit the car park with me,... but left a nice trail of bits showing where I had been

and they werent insured yet 8O :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

I used to work for the NHS (National Health Service), in the maximum security facility Ashworth Hospital (Home of the Moore's Murderer).

Well, due to the sensitive nature of the data we stored all old systems needed to be destroyed.

I started with a small claw hammer and soon found out they are called HARD drives for a reason when my hammer was bent.
I then switched to a sledge hammer but only dents were happening.

In the end I put 6 computers into an industrial compressor, the sound was amazing!

chainreaction2009

Post by chainreaction2009 »

Kanuck wrote: Actually, I did have one ex-girlfriend whose computer would spontaneously reboot every so often. It was the most confusing thing in the world; there was no pattern to it, whether I was typing away or just sitting there, occasionally it would just restart without warning.

As it turned out, the leg of the rolling chair was at the exact same height as the reset button on the case, which sat on the floor. I was gently tapping the button during the chair's travels around the chair pad, and then I'd pull back to look at the computer too quickly to realize what was happening.

Was that ever an embarassing discovery. :)

LMAO! Thats classic! Thats exactly why i never put my case on the floor I kept it on a trolly seperate from my monitor and keyboard so i can have room to put my educational paperwork on there and sort through the shit that i bring home.
Leaving New York never easy R.E.M

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Daffy09 wrote: The stupidest thing I ever did was delete all my documents.

I think I'd probably jump off a bridge. I recently activated Norton's file deletion protection just in case I ever did something like that, too. And trying to wean myself off of the terrible Shift+Delete habit I formed.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Kanuck wrote: Actually, I did have one ex-girlfriend whose computer would spontaneously reboot every so often. It was the most confusing thing in the world; there was no pattern to it, whether I was typing away or just sitting there, occasionally it would just restart without warning.

As it turned out, the leg of the rolling chair was at the exact same height as the reset button on the case, which sat on the floor. I was gently tapping the button during the chair's travels around the chair pad, and then I'd pull back to look at the computer too quickly to realize what was happening.

Was that ever an embarassing discovery. :)

That always happened to me when I used my dad's computer. Except I always kept on kicking out the powercord. Once I was in a chatroom talking to friends and told them I was going to leave when I was joking and I kicked it out like 2 seconds later.

Worst thing I ever did was probably crashed the C drive. But that was my first computer and I haven't had too many bad things happen to be except for one folder just disappeared and I have no clue what happened.

Oh I almost forgot about the time I had a friend of mine send me a file on 56k and I accidently deleted the file after I got it because I deleted the main folder instead of the shortcut folder. :P

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Just a word of advice: Nerer, ever try to dual boot 98 and ME on a machine with critical data. ever

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

pulling his hair wrote: Kick my PowerMac G5... They are serious solid, G5 unharmed, no damage (not even a scratch :p), foot seriously sore....

[ Edited by Draegonis: Blatent trolling removed ]
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

makc

Post by makc »

danb00 wrote: the worst i done was install linux...

Reminds me my story.

I was installing mandrake 9.? a year ago or so. It prompted me which username I want to use for KDE log-ins, and I typed in "root". It warned me that using "root" is bad idea, because I can occasionally harm my system, but I didn't care. Then, to show me who's the boss, it created new user named "root" under uid 501.

It took me hours to figure out WTF happen to system, and another hours to figure out how to fix that. F*cking linux :evil:

Return to “General Discussion”