Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
ThE-UnknowN

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

Fried a mobo / CPU when setting it up by not setting up the CPU voltage / frequency properly. And putting in RAM in reverse.

These was all years ago, during the days of the K5 processors and when you had to do everything manually. And I was learning how to build computers at that time.

Learnt very well from experiences such as that... hehehe

8)
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

lol how did you put the ram in reverse?

Even the old 72-pin simms and 30-pin simms fit in only one direction.

The REALLY old 30-pin SIPPs could be put in backwards though...
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

Jade_01

Post by Jade_01 »

Well this guy pissed me off by lying to me and he kept calling me and wanting me to go over to his house so I told all the girls on his myspace friend list what he had done to me and they deleted him. I know, it was bad but he deserved it. I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't lied to me.

makc

Post by makc »

starfoxtj wrote: lol how did you put the ram in reverse?
Even the old 72-pin simms and 30-pin simms fit in only one direction.
The REALLY old 30-pin SIPPs could be put in backwards though...
Everything is possible. You haven't seen folks sawing ISA network adapter up to fit in PCI slot, and wondering why didn't it worked out. I did.

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Youve got to be kidding me!

They sawed it in half? LOL
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

makc

Post by makc »

why "sawed in half"? it was just a slight adjustment, to turn this into this.

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

lol I think thiscall is appropriate. :roll:

HMaster

Post by HMaster »

I worked for the ASUS company in The Netherlands and we have seen very terrible things comming to the test department.

Boards that where black for 1/3 by a fire / short in the 12V lines. Boards that were bend in a 30 degrees angle. Broken PCI and AGP slots. Pins in the PCI / AGP / DIMM sockets bend / burned.

We tested with a riser card for AGP / PCI and SDR cards and even then collegues where able to inverse the way a AGP card was to be inserted in the socket. I mean the connectors facing inwards of the motherboard. 8O The fools.

I have blown a few ELCO's, 2 or 3 Northbridges / Southbridges. Killed 2 VGA cards. Killed 2 CPU's. But that was the failure of the Pre-test engineers that where able to give boards with shorts an OK label. And then we killed our stuff.

===============================================

The worst things I did at home on a pc was:
- Installing Novell Server 4.x and 5.x
- Installing Linux

My records........ I killed the installation of Novell 4.11 in 10 minutes and Linux in 5 minutes.... Yes Novell and Linux are stable... NOT

My Windows servers run 4 months without rebooting / errors / bugs / virusses.

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

HMaster wrote: The worst things I did at home on a pc was:
- Installing Linux

My records........ I killed the installation of Novell 4.11 in 10 minutes and Linux in 5 minutes.... Yes Novell and Linux are stable... NOT

You're basing your opinion on something you have five minutes experience with? :roll:
HMaster wrote: My Windows servers run 4 months without rebooting / errors / bugs / virusses.

Windows Update disagrees. ;)

0racle

Post by 0racle »

Code: Select all

dpkg --force-remove-essential coreutils

HMaster

Post by HMaster »

Gud wrote:
- Installing Linux

You're basing your opinion on something you have five minutes experience with? :roll:

No, That was on My PC. The Novell serverpark at the Hospital I worked had an uptime of 3 days average. Only the NT machines stayed up. 8)

HMaster wrote: My Windows servers run 4 months without rebooting / errors / bugs / virusses.

Windows Update disagrees. ;)

Yup but Micro$ is very strange in marketing and pushing SP's through your throat. I just took a look at my NT4.0 server. It runs now for 3644 hours and 33 minutes. that is 151 days. 8O

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

- Installing Linux

Why didn't you try the 'fix everything thats wrong with a linux box, ever' command?
rm -rf

HMaster

Post by HMaster »

Pezzoni wrote:
- Installing Linux

Why didn't you try the 'fix everything thats wrong with a linux box, ever' command?
rm -rf

Because the one I killed was on a test machine.. We didn't repair just reinstalled the testmachine. And we were not that far into the Linux stuff.

I tried to install SusE but that was also not wroking. VGA card not recognized, wrong driver for networkcard. E.G. a PCI 905-b-tx card had the same driver as a Isa 900-combo card.... WRONG!!!

But I now have a stable version of SusE !!!! Yes I have!! It is lying stable in a pile of other cd-rom's not to be installed again.

LOL ROFL LOLUP ROFLMOA

The first working version of a Linux distribution was Knoppix. Ran at once without troubles... And ran from CD-rom.. So it couldn't kill any thing on my pc's.. :wink:

Maybe I could try Linux again.. But then a stable-installable-workable version.

Forgive about my cynism of the Linux an Novell software. I am not someone that hates software. I just don't like to "buy" FREE software and then find out that I have to compile 90% of the software by myself to get 10% working. When it was a computergame no one would buy it and would complain at court. But when it is a not completed Linux version everyone is exited 8O
Something is very wrong... :wink: :roll:

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Whats the best most powerful version of linux?

I heard it was redhat, but a friend of mine told me redhat is for noobs and its all "user friendly".

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

starfoxtj wrote: Whats the best most powerful version of linux?

I heard it was redhat, but a friend of mine told me redhat is for noobs and its all "user friendly".

It's only as user friendly as you want it to be :P

I'd imagine the most n00b unfriendly distro would be the one that requires compiling from scratch. It's name has temporerially escaped me however :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”