Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
rick`

Post by rick` »

Worst thing I've done to my computer...
install half a dozen trojans to write scripts to remove them :P Two worked... then I had to format to get the rest off :-? Go me :lol:

G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

I was building a computer for a friend and I had set everything up, but when it came to booting there was no response. I was so convinced I had fried the motherboard, it was the first PC I had built in ages.

In the end, I hadn't moved the main jumper on the motherboard away from the 'clear' setting :oops: Took the guy in the shop I bought it from to tell me
Yoxio.com :: Free Image Hosting
"OSX: The $2000 operating system with a free computer"

erk
Former Team Member

Post by erk »

I made an endless loop on the web server. We needed to do the reboot and few people lost their work.
I installed Lilo on the first partition instead of on the master boot record. Pretty funny...you select to boot first partition and end up in the same selection screen.
SurveyWorld.org
SAP AG is the evil version of Microsoft Corp.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I pushed in an IDE connector with too much force once because it wouldn't go in due to a misaligned pin. I ended up breaking something in the motherboard because it wouldn't POST after that.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Anaximander Thales

Post by Anaximander Thales »

My first experience probably seemed like the worse thing I could do, in my father's eyes. I was curious as to how computers worked so I opened up my dad's work computer (a blazing fast 286, with 4 megs of RAM0 and took it all apart. I had just finished pulling the hard drive out when he came home. I had 30 minutes to get it all together and working again. Somehow I succeeded?

Overall, the worse thing I've done is smoke my processor from an aggressive overclocking.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Kitilop

Post by Kitilop »

I have buy 100MB Webspace for a board. but the webspace didn`t have php and mysql :(
Hi,
i am have a german supportboard an find the phpBB very very very very good ^^

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Somehow (don't ask me how), but I inserted a processor the wrong way. When I went to lock it in place, I heard a loud crunch. Let's just say it didn't suffer (much) through its death.
erk wrote: I made an endless loop on the web server. We needed to do the reboot and few people lost their work.

Don't remind me of when I did that once (keyword: once). :P

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Mine would be connecting an AT power supply cable incorrectly. Since the two conectors are identical at a glance, I had them wrong, and well... it blew everything. Whoops. :oops:

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

I've put a motherboard onto a chassis with the wrong screws... fried it right there when we turned it on. :D
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

Outofmymindyo
Former Team Member

Post by Outofmymindyo »

Managed to lose about 25GB of music while doing a SuSe dual boot on my old desktop system about a year ago. SuSe wasn't showing the partitions properly and I was just clicking away telling it to format whatever it wanted.

Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

Nephrus wrote: I've put a motherboard onto a chassis with the wrong screws... fried it right there when we turned it on. :D

Ohh, I've done that one before...

Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

I put a 486 processor in the wrong way and fried it.

I also wallked across my office, touched the computer, got a static shock, the computer turned off and that was the last it ever worked.

Last summer I over wrote a weeks worth of program changes for a customer and had to re-create them all plus a weeks worth of testing, now that really sucked! :oops:

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

wait, so things we've done on top of a computer, or things we've done to a computer? two drastically different answers there...
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Fick
I've Been Banned!

Post by Fick »

Crushing my old PC with a sledgehammer and then running it over in my truck. I may have done it on purpose, but still, its pretty bad.

Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

I've never done anything too horrible on the hardware side of things.

On the software side, I accidentally deleted a site design and content that had taken about 40 hours. I was able to piece it back together almost perfectly from old copy and screenshots I had taken to show the client... that was definitely a week from hell.

Return to “General Discussion”