Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

Oooh, I remember one now. Powerwashed a keyboard. Didn't work after I let it dry for a few days....

Dean

Post by Dean »

Mine used to be an accidental deletion on a customers server, but..

Did you know that killall on SCO is NOTHING LIKE the killall command on Linux? Neither did I, until I killed every process on a server with 700+ people on it.

Was popular that day...

venox123

Post by venox123 »

I remember when i was playing Delta Force 2. And my fan wasnt the best on my CPU... I started playing, and I saw all this smoke flying around. Next thing I knew it, my computer was on fire....

But i got a new one :D so i guess its the best thing thats ever happened to me :) lol

ryan444123

Post by ryan444123 »

yeah i really screwed up that day
hey this is just me

signed

ryan

jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

Ksilebo wrote: Oooh, I remember one now. Powerwashed a keyboard. Didn't work after I let it dry for a few days....

believe it or not i have done that, i bathed my keyboard and stuck it in the airing cupboard, everthing worked properly if you hit the keys as hard as u cud. my finger were sore by the end of it
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!

ryan444123

Post by ryan444123 »

huh that would be an interesting experiment for a science fair or somethin. See how long different pieces of computer hardware last when soaked in water. lmao
hey this is just me

signed

ryan

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

For me i would say formating the hard drive without the right steps. And screwed it up.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Wow, you know that virus' don't completely kill PCs right? Maybe, MAYBE, kill a harddrive, but all you have to do is format most the time. And it's your own fault for buying a $1500 computer.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

ryan444123 wrote: huh that would be an interesting experiment for a science fair or somethin. See how long different pieces of computer hardware last when soaked in water. lmao

Interesting thing is I saw a news article that firefighters could use called water replacement. It's quite interesting. It means instead of using water that destroys electronic equipment, this stuff saves electronic equipment. To demonstrate this, they had a TV soaking in the stuff, yet still managed to show the ad for the stuff. So if your intense overclocking session gets a little too hot, you can drench the flames yet still get it working afterwards ;)

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

I can't say i've really done anything bad to a computer, hardwarewise. Perhaps i'm just lucky. However, I do a lot of bad things on a computer.

I just can't help torturing new IRC users. It's just too much fun.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

The mere presence of this thread jinxed me.

I spilled pepsi in my powerbook this morning.

I am thankful for insurance.

I am very pissed off at myself...

Iain Armitage

Post by Iain Armitage »

I have an obsession with pc cooling... I had just finished building my 2nd water-cooled pc. Had installed a water pressure guage on the front for looks and functionailty, it got to pressure then straight back down again and a large ammount of blue ish grey smoke appeared from the case. Fried the motherboard and psu very nicely indeed...

Lesson learned, always remember to secure hoses correctly :oops:
Repeat after me "Post counts are NOT a status symbol"

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

FF8Jake` wrote: I can't say i've really done anything bad to a computer, hardwarewise. Perhaps i'm just lucky. However, I do a lot of bad things on a computer.

I just can't help torturing new IRC users. It's just too much fun.

Yes, you're certainly queen of that domain. :)

And luckily I share your history of never having killed a piece of computer hardware. I've been using PCs since Q-BASIC on my IBM XT, so I'd say that's a pretty good track record. :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- »

Kazer0 wrote: Wow, you know that virus' don't completely kill PCs right? Maybe, MAYBE, kill a harddrive, but all you have to do is format most the time

Try searching info about win95 CIH Aka Chernobyl. And AFAIK also some versions of win32 magistr were written to obtain the same dreadful effect on infected PCs.
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Whoops, I posted in this thread earlier about breaking a motherboard by pushing an ATA connector in too hard, but I forgot to mention the time I was installing a hard drive and dropped it. Yup, call me butterfingers. Dropped it on a hard ceramic-tile floor.

It "sort of" worked afterwards, with massive bad sectors and strange noises and terrible unreliability, so I ended up junking it and reminding myself to hold hard drives more carefully in future.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “General Discussion”