Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Pit wrote:
TC wrote:despite being built upon and run behind the scenes by unix? i see.

OS X isn't the best of server platforms; unsurprisingly, since it's a desktop UNIX, not a server UNIX.

Would you mind elaborating? I always thought the only difference between a desktop UNIX and a server UNIX was the packages you installed and the daemons you chose to run at startup.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
MrTorrance

Post by MrTorrance »

I tried to get into hacking, intentionally loaded a virus on my own cpu and killed the boot sector on my hard drive....I soon gave up hacking.

I also bought a new motherboard, saw that one of the caps was bent over a little and for some stupid reason I tried to straighten it out and snapped it right off. :oops: Board of course didn't work when I tested it so I was forced to return it defective. 8)
~MrsTorrance~
~Wife's Blog~
...it must be that darn flux capacitor again!?
[DEV]CC_2ND_EMAIL : [DEV]WordLinks
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Somehow I managed to screw up the IP stack on my home computer. No clue how. :(
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Worked for me last time I encountered a PC with that problem. Much easier than a reformat.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Kanuck wrote: http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Worked for me last time I encountered a PC with that problem. Much easier than a reformat.
I've tried a couple of those tools before, but thanks. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Darth Wong wrote: Would you mind elaborating? I always thought the only difference between a desktop UNIX and a server UNIX was the packages you installed and the daemons you chose to run at startup.

No, it is entirely possible and common to optimise the operating system itself for a specific use. For example, see the case insensitive filesystem in OS X (Server 10.3 corrects this), which can break Apache.
super fun rainbow colour sig
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

Kanuck wrote:
sonyboy wrote:I know that it's based from Unix, but mostly I heard ppl using Linux for hosting, maybe this happen because Linux is secure, powerful, and free.

And here I thought we were discussing doing bad things to computers. We were talking about servers? My bad, I'll go delete my post. :P

Today, a buddy of mine messaged me, panicked. You see, he had two partitions on his computer, and formatted the one Windows XP wasn't on to install SUSE Linux in a dual boot configuration.

Thing is, I guess he forgot the dual boot detail, because he couldn't get back into Windows XP. His solution? He reformats the SUSE partition! So now he's got a borked XP install and a bootloader pointed to a non-existant Linux partition.

Then, when he inserts the Windows XP CD to go into the recovery console and rebuild his boot sector, oops... he doesn't know his administrator password.

Needless to say, he's reformatting everything right now. :lol:

my bad, the topic is about computer, not server :).
pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

NeoThermic wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Kick my PowerMac G5... They are serious solid, G5 unharmed, no damage (not even a scratch :p), foot seriously sore....

... you kicked a G5? Are you nuts? Seriosuly, that much moneys worth of equiptment, I'ld be wearing cotton gloves just to handle the power button.

NeoThermic

I didn't mean to, I just wasn't looking where I was walking, I'd never mean to kick it...
dragon2611

Post by dragon2611 »

errmm got a few

Firewalled myself out of a linux server'

also killed ssh on a remote server :roll:

asked my mate to plug the power connector onto the floppy drive and then not checked it afterwoods (he misalinged it so it was 1 pin over) i then proceeded to turn on power, lets just say the pin and the connecting plug became fused together 8O

kicked the reset switch

formatted harddrive to reinstall os and then relised i forgot to copy data i needed off it first..

probably more but cant think of em off top of my head :
tjhilder

Post by tjhilder »

Hmm, lets see...

Messed up my first computer within about a week (was running windows 95)

plugged the connecter in wrong for the DVD RW and had to get a professional to plug it in the right way, costing me £30!!

Changed cases over and found my FreeBSD server now has network problems :?: :?: :?: how that happened I dunno (server hasn't been working for 3 weeks now...
"I must have a bad immune system because I catch colds better then I catch trains"

he gave her twelve roses, 11 real and 1 fake and told her: "i'll love you til the last one dies"
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Actually, I did have one ex-girlfriend whose computer would spontaneously reboot every so often. It was the most confusing thing in the world; there was no pattern to it, whether I was typing away or just sitting there, occasionally it would just restart without warning.

As it turned out, the leg of the rolling chair was at the exact same height as the reset button on the case, which sat on the floor. I was gently tapping the button during the chair's travels around the chair pad, and then I'd pull back to look at the computer too quickly to realize what was happening.

Was that ever an embarassing discovery. :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
bigamers

Post by bigamers »

moved up the voltages up 1 notch on my agp slot, cpu, and ram...
i didnt understand amps and rails in psu yet i just thought watts was everything... the power supply blew and the vacum on the amd 64 chip saved it self! so i had to get a new psuImage
Check out my forums at www.bigamers.com