Anybody try the MailboxValidator Extension

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mayhemkrew

Anybody try the MailboxValidator Extension

Post by mayhemkrew »

I am wondering if anybody has tried out the MailboxValidator Extension for phpBB? Just wondering how effective it is or are there problems with it? I searched the forum here and found no results...

My forum gets spam account registrations, even though I setup the activation link and CAPTCHA, that have gibberish email addresses (ie. [email protected]) So I am looking for something to prevent this from happening. It annoys me getting a bunch of Mail Delivery Errors from the server when it cannot resolve the email address, not to mention all the inactive accounts that are created.

https://www.mailboxvalidator.com/resour ... -in-phpbb/
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: Anybody try the MailboxValidator Extension

Post by AlfredoRamos »

mayhemkrew wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:25 pm Just wondering how effective it is or are there problems with it?
Why don't you try it yourself? It will be quicker to get the answer that way...
Holger

Post by Holger »

Woah, those plans are EXPENSIVE!
I rather do the work to add the email-domains to the ban-list.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why not just block the registrations in the first place?

use the built in Q&A with a non searchable answer and you will block 99.99% of the bots and
you will never see them.

robert
potku

Post by potku »

By chance, I was wondering yesterday that despite it being summer and all, it is weird we have not had any new users registering since the first days of June. It is already past mid-August. Two and a half months with no new members is more than exceptional.

Well, today we were contacted by a new member - or one who would want to be one but cannot register. Then I tried it myself: yup, this Extension was blocking it. I used Gmail.

Well, he is a member now, so all is well. Except for all the potential new members we lost over the course of these 10 or so weeks...

Return to “General Discussion”