block blocker blocker

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

block blocker blocker

Post by Brf »

So this morning I was telling my wife about weather.com. Occasionally, they have malicious ads, so I use adblock-plus to block ads on it.
Now they have a dialog box that pops up to force you to turn off ad-blockers. That is an ad blocker blocker. So I had to make a rule in adblock-plus to block that box. That rule is an ad blocker blocker blocker.

Wife: :roll:
Onnozel Manneke
Name: Loki Heimdall

Re: block blocker blocker

Post by Onnozel Manneke »

Yeps I did the same on some sites. Hard to understand for non technical brains 🤣🤣 But I use Ublock
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

My IT manager uses UBlock.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Imagine it would go deeper and another anti block would pop up :D
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

When I was first experimenting with this blocker, I found some pages required the pop-up in order to show the content of the page. So that code was a blocker blocker blocker blocker.
Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

Brf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:01 pm When I was first experimenting with this blocker, I found some pages required the pop-up in order to show the content of the page. So that code was a blocker blocker blocker blocker.
Haahaha it's getting way out of control now. Some of these site's ads are way too intrusive. The worst ones are the auto playing video types with sound. Any site with those needs to be unlimited block blocked :lol:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I ones I hate are the ones that pop up and claim you have won a prize, and require you to click and visit the fake site to remove the popup. That was what prompted me to install the blocker in the first place.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

All you guys should have started using uMatrix years ago - its blocking philosophy is more bullet proof than your loved ad-blockers and you still have control over it to allow/disallow more or less. Since it might not be intuitive to everybody the documentation with screenshots should be a good start.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Brf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:01 pm When I was first experimenting with this blocker, I found some pages required the pop-up in order to show the content of the page. So that code was a blocker blocker blocker blocker.
You could have a CSS "pop up" that could only be dismissed with JS after JS code executed. The user would be able to disable styling but not really helpful if the page needs styling.

I understand the reasons for people blocking ads, I get very frustrated myself. On the flip side many site owners are not doing it for free and if they are not in the position to sell direct advertising they may just give up.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Brf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:55 pm I ones I hate are the ones that pop up and claim you have won a prize, and require you to click and visit the fake site to remove the popup. That was what prompted me to install the blocker in the first place.
Every time I got a message like that I know that site cannot be trusted, so that's why I always use NoScript and Adblock Plus (Firefox addons) together.

A long time ago I learned that such sites can be considered as sites that is hijacking your computer.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Ancient Viking wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:03 pm that site cannot be trusted,
My ISP had an ad that popped up like that when you close your Email page. I remember installing Adblock-plus on some computers here at work because employees were trying to access their personal email over lunch.,
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Brf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 pm
Ancient Viking wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:03 pm that site cannot be trusted,
My ISP had an ad that popped up like that when you close your Email page. I remember installing Adblock-plus on some computers here at work because employees were trying to access their personal email over lunch.,
It seems your boss doesn't trust you enough.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

My boss? The problem is with the public ISP's website ads.
php-BB-Is-Awesome

Post by php-BB-Is-Awesome »

How to avoid ads on The Internet (everywhere) - 2021
  • Step 1 - Mozilla Firefox is your friend.
Look, even with an ad blocker, Google Chrome will disable part of its functionality, and when that does not happen, it reports back to Google, who owns YouTube, exactly how and why their ad did not play. You're always going to be on borrowed time when using Chrome as opposed to Mozilla Firefox.
  • Step 2 -- Install uBlock Origin add-on.
  • Step 4 -- Open uBlock Origin's settings to enable "Prevent WebRTC" and "Block CSP." Proceed to move to the "Filter List" and enable ALL the filters. Apply changes, purge cache, and update.
  • Step 5 -- Install the "Privacy Badger" add-on for Firefox.
  • Step 6 -- Install the "SponsorBlock for YouTube - Skip Sponsorships" add-on for Firefox.
  • Step 7 -- Enter the settings for "SponsorBlock for YouTube - Skip Sponsorships" and enable "Auto Skip" for everything (or as you see fit). Enable "Support Invidious" and approve the extension. Go all the way to the end and click "SAVE."
  • Step 8 -- Install the add-on "Enhancer for YouTube™."
  • Step 9 -- Enter the settings for "Enhancer for YouTube" and enable "Automatically remove ads," and be sure to grant permissions. Scroll down to also enable "Ads have been removed." -- The rest of the settings are up to you.
  • Step 10 -- Install the add-on "Disable WebRTC," which will still protect you even if you need to disable your ad-blocker.
  • Step 11 -- Install the add-on "Google search link fix."
  • Step 12 -- Install the add-on "Facebook Container."
  • Step 13 -- Install the add-on "Smart HTTPS."
  • Step 14 -- Enable ALL the above add-ons to work in "Run in Private Windows." -- This will make sure you're always protected (even when private browsing).
  • Step 14 -- Go to Firefox "Preferences" and disable both boxes under "Recommended by Pocket.
  • "Step 15 -- Enable "Do not track" to "Always."
  • Step 16 -- Enable "Allow Firefox to send backlogged crash reports on your behalf" -- This is how we keep Firefox running smoothly in the future (by helping report bugs and having them fixed).
Your Internet experience now complies with my simple policy: There are NO ads on The Internet.
Congratulations and enjoy! 8-)

But wait.... There is more.... :shock:

Ad-free YouTube on Android. - 2021 ;)

Uninstall (or disable) YouTube and YouTube Music. Download and install Vanced Manager. Open and install the 3 apps from the bottom on up. https://vancedapp.com/

Note: Be sure you have already gone into your settings to allow to install from untrusted sources... ie... Android defines any app not directly from Google's Play Store as an untrusted source.
Onnozel Manneke
Name: Loki Heimdall

Post by Onnozel Manneke »

Hey php-BB-Is-Awesome ,

I already have all those, just never heard about the "Nano defender", I added that now.
WebRTC is already disabled, my VPN does that.

Yeah, I'm a security freak since the cops already caught me once... No way that's gonna happen twice! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”