Wayback Machine...?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
davethecat

Wayback Machine...?

Post by davethecat »

Hello,
Random question - has anyone tried to use the Wayback Machine lately, to know if it's still operational?

I was hoping to use it to see an archived version of an old thread on our forum for one of our users. We deleted a few old threads in February, but one user would like to find and see one of them, but it's no longer on our site or our server.

Google cache only has 1 page of the thread, but the whole thread is 10 or more pages long. Hence trying Wayback, but...

When I put any URL at all into the Wayback Machine, I get these results:
Chrome = "This site can't be reached"
Safari = "Safari Can't Connect to the Server"

So I'm thinking maybe Wayback is not operating any longer? Or they are having issues? So I wondered if anyone knew, or maybe has another suggestion of where an old deleted forum thread might be found?

Thanks for any advice!
Forex Station

Re: Wayback Machine...?

Post by Forex Station »

davethecat wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:38 pm Hello,
Random question - has anyone tried to use the Wayback Machine lately, to know if it's still operational?
Working fine on my end!

Just tried our site's address and can see all the snapshots even on mobile browser:

Screenshot_20210405-025224.png
davethecat

Re: Wayback Machine...?

Post by davethecat »

Hi Forex Station,

Thanks for the reply! I've got in now!!

When I tried to go to the Wayback site just now, this time I got an "access blocked" message from my ISP saying it was 'blocked by your content control settings', so that must have been the issue, (although i did at least get as far as the website yesterday).

Anyway - all sorted, and I can again access Wayback. But it has thrown up another odd question....

The forum thread I wanted to locate was 11 pages long, (spanning 2016 - 2020), and I successfully found pages 2 - 11 of the thread on Wayback, but not page 1. Interestingly I tried viewing other multi-page threads on Wayback, and each time it seems not to have a snapshot of page 1, only the subsequent pages. I don't suppose you have any clue why that might be or if there is a way to see page 1 of threads?

Thanks for any further help!

Return to “General Discussion”