What do European Schools (or other regions) Teach About the US?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: What do European Schools (or other regions) Teach About the US?

Post by thecoalman »

Valid point, Native Americans on the North American continent didn't have written languages. The closest thing would of been cave drawings. Most of the ancient histories are from what what they can learn from examining artifacts. The design and shapes of arrowheads for example can tell you quite a lot about migrations and time frames.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

thecoalman wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 amDid they teach you something different about the Spanish Armada?
For one thing the weather never got a mention.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Well that is interesting Mick, begs the question what was taught at that time about the US revolution and other revolts in British colonies. The main theme taught here in the US about why the revolution occurred was taxes, of course there was issues like infringement of free speech etc. Have you heard of the Boston Tea Party? The British government would of considered this terrorist act and their reaction was one of the triggers for the US Revolution.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Yes the tea party got a mention although I don’t remember what was said about it, I suspect it was dusted over fairly sharply :lol:

On the side - I notice more and more Americans drinking tea and even having tea parties, it must be coming in to fashion? Unfortunately you seem to be stuck with tea bags from such companies as Lipton’s and Twinings which aren’t very good IMO. You should try proper tea leaves in a tea pot, much better. You can get good British tea blends in the states Amazon for one, look out for Ty-Phoo or PG Tips, bags as well if you must, and none of the ‘one cup’ nonsense, if you can’t find any I’ll send you some :D
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

The British and their tea, I make ice tea frequently but it's by the half gallon for ice tea....Lipton. LOL I was researching what was best brew time, temp etc. and cam across a lot of articles on how controversial this could be in the UK.

I juts did quick refresh on the Boston Tea Party. The majority of the tea in the US colonies was being "smuggled" in by the Dutch. The British tried to impose a tea tax excluding British tea. The colonists bordered a ship carrying British tea and dumped it all into Boston Harbor. This was few years prior to the revolution and one of the triggers.

Holger

Post by Holger »

As far as I remember there was no particular attention to US history (Swedish school), not more than another countries history. We got a very broad and wide education about other countries, which I think is important. The US history is not more important than any other countrys history. And I think the wide view over all the world is an advantage to understand other peoples way of thinking.
My children attend German school, same there.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Holger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:13 am The US history is not more important than any other countrys history.
I'm not suggesting it would be other than perhaps for the UK since the US was former colony. France may be another country you may expect some emphasis on it. Both have intertwined histories with the US. Just curious as to what and how it was taught.

Holger

Post by Holger »

thecoalman wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:26 am
Holger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:13 am The US history is not more important than any other countrys history.
I'm not suggesting it would be other than perhaps for the UK since the US was former colony. France may be another country you may expect some emphasis on it. Both have intertwined histories with the US. Just curious as to what and how it was taught.
Dont understand me wrong, I just ment that schools teach an equal quantity for most countries. And that is a good thing I think. I feel/felt well educated about most of the world.

Return to “General Discussion”